[SOLVED] Ryzen 3500X idling at around 46 - 48 Deg C

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Hi,
I believe this type of question might have been asked before. I somehow can not stop comparing cpus.
My Ryzen 5 3500X cpu with stock cooler and 2 more fans in the case idles at around 46 to 48 Deg C when very minimal load.

All my earlier cpus be it Intel or earlier generation amd cpus like amd athlon 2 would idle at around 41 Deg C or so.
Is this normal for Ryzen 3rd Gen 3500X to run at around 48 Deg C when having less load.

I have not overclocked anything. All are stock settings. Even ram is not overclocked.
I tried slightly lowering the cpu voltage but it had no much of effect.
My room is not air conditioned and it is summer time here if that matters but this environment was almost the same even in case of other cpus.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Cinebench test was done. When BIOS was at defaults cpb core perform boost was on and 3500x went upto 4 Ghz and in a few minutes temp reached 84 deg c. Then I went into BIOS and disabled cpb forcing cpu to remain max at 3.6 ghz. Now temperature never crossed 72 thru out the 10 minutes of test. I think i will keep cpb off as I don't do any auto or manual oc. Now 72 is almost 23 Deg below 95 which I think should be all ok. Do comment. Thanks

That 84C is still within safe limits so while not really desired, isn't in the danger zone. That looks pretty normal for a stock cooler. You could try and improve case airflow. A test, take the side panel off your case and run again with boost enabled. If the temperature stays the same, the...
Hi,
I believe this type of question might have been asked before. I somehow can not stop comparing cpus.
My Ryzen 5 3500X cpu with stock cooler and 2 more fans in the case idles at around 46 to 48 Deg C when very minimal load.

All my earlier cpus be it Intel or earlier generation amd cpus like amd athlon 2 would idle at around 41 Deg C or so.
Is this normal for Ryzen 3rd Gen 3500X to run at around 48 Deg C when having less load.

I have not overclocked anything. All are stock settings. Even ram is not overclocked.
I tried slightly lowering the cpu voltage but it had no much of effect.
My room is not air conditioned and it is summer time here if that matters but this environment was almost the same even in case of other cpus.
Thanks in advance.
What chassis (case) is your system installed in?

Reactions: Dj0gany

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Ok Thanks. My case is corsair 100r mid tower. Earlier pc cases were also similar mid towers.
will try cinebench. However the general question is if I make a comparison of all previous generation cpus with stock cooler does Ryzen 3 gen run relatively hotter?

Ok Thanks. My case is corsair 100r mid tower. Earlier pc cases were also similar mid towers.
will try cinebench. However the general question is if I make a comparison of all previous generation cpus with stock cooler does Ryzen 3 gen run relatively hotter?

Yes it absolutely does at idle speeds/low loads.

While ryzen 1* and 2* tended to keep clocks fairly conservative at low loads, ryzen 3* will boost 1 or 2 cores to max speeds fairly erratically under background processes - its the way its designed to run.

Idle temps (if under 50c) don't matter, load temps do.

Reactions: ravin_29

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
So, this is a quite interesting thread for me as Ive noticed the same with my cpu. If cpu is at 0% im at 30-35°c but as soon as some 5% load are on, temps jump to 50-60°c on default boost behavior.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Yes, the interesting part is that when cpu jumps to say 7 - 10% my temp goes to say 53 - 55 Deg C in no time and then as the load falls back to 0%, then as if it's programmatic, temp shows 47 48 49 again.
Can cpu temperature fluctuate so quickly? It does not feel linear! I am checking with amd's own ryzen master software so I hope it should be more correct than any other third party tool.
Under normal load otherwise system is stable and there are no issues so far anything like slowness or sudden shutdowns etc. I am still to check with cinbench but soon will try to add those details. Thanks.

The default behavior of Ryzen CPUs when idling is they experience what I call temperature sawtoothing (because if you graph the temperature, that's what it looks like). This is explained by:
  • Windows when idling does not service background tasks just as they come in. It delays tasks to a certain interval. This is so the CPU has a chance to sleep for longer periods of time.
  • Because these idle tasks are likely just "did something happen? no? okay", they can all be handled by one core which Windows will throw all of them on.
  • When a core gets something to do, it turbo boosts to the maximum speed. This causes a sudden rush of power to that core and thus, heats it up.
  • Ryzen reports "CPU temperature" as the hottest thing in the processor, which is now that core that got all the idle tasks to do.

Reactions: ravin_29 and Herr B

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Cinebench test was done. When BIOS was at defaults cpb core perform boost was on and 3500x went upto 4 Ghz and in a few minutes temp reached 84 deg c. Then I went into BIOS and disabled cpb forcing cpu to remain max at 3.6 ghz. Now temperature never crossed 72 thru out the 10 minutes of test. I think i will keep cpb off as I don't do any auto or manual oc. Now 72 is almost 23 Deg below 95 which I think should be all ok. Do comment. Thanks

That 84C is still within safe limits so while not really desired, isn't in the danger zone. That looks pretty normal for a stock cooler. You could try and improve case airflow. A test, take the side panel off your case and run again with boost enabled. If the temperature stays the same, the airflow in your case is ok and it's the stock cooler that's holding you back. If it goes down, you could try to improve airflow by adding or reconfiguring case fans. If you can, have 2 fans pulling in air from the front, 1 expelling air from the rear and 1 expelling air from the roof. If you can, remove the hard drive cage and reposition your hard drive(s) in the top 5.25 inch bays (you can buy 5.25" to 3.5"/2.5" adapters) or just screw it/them to the deck. Either way, try not to use the hard drive cage in the front bottom as it restricts airflow in what looks like a pretty closed case at the front. Pretty sure the front panel comes off without taking the entire front off the case, you could also try that. And set up your fans as I've described above.

You're in a hot climate at present so those max temps will decrease as the seasons go, but only running base speed is not the performance you paid for. It should boost higher but not to PBO levels, PBO should be disabled but normal boosting enabled. 85 is at full load Cinebench, so chances are that if you're gaming, temps will be 80C or below.

That's still very doable with the stock cooler, but a better cooler for a Ryzen is always a smart move. Cheap option would be a Hyper 212 Evo, that'd be way better than the stock cooler and a lot quieter.

Solution