[SOLVED] Ryzen 3500X support on B450M

pankodomik

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
I have a Gigabyte B450M S2H motherboard in which I had Ryzen 3 1200, which I sold earlier. Now I bought Ryzen 5 3500X but at the box of the mobo it states that it's Ryzen 2000 series compatible. So I wonder. Will it work, or do I need to flash the bios? I currently don't have any other AM4 CPU at the moment.

Solution
I also remember bios screen changing over the time of owning it, maybe it self updated?
Did you run Gigabyte's motherboard utilities? That's the only way it could "self-update" the motherbord BIOS.

Many BIOS have different home screens. One, usually the default, is an 'easy' screen which is mainly just a display of the system hardware and setups and the other is a more complicated screen with settings and sub-menus of more screens with more settings.

When did you buy the motherboard? if recent enough there's a high chance it came Ryzen 3000 ready. Also, if you kept it's box it might have a Ryzen 3000 Ready sticker on it. But then, since 3500's came out after the initial launch it might need a later BIOS to initialize properly.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's usually a sticker on the board or on the box somewhere with the BIOS version. I don't believe this motherboard has a method for updating BIOS without a CPU like many midrange and most high-end motherboards do. Unfortunately, it would have been easier to do this before you sold the CPU rather than now. There's no way of knowing any BIOS update that was made.

I also remember bios screen changing over the time of owning it, maybe it self updated?
Did you run Gigabyte's motherboard utilities? That's the only way it could "self-update" the motherbord BIOS.

Many BIOS have different home screens. One, usually the default, is an 'easy' screen which is mainly just a display of the system hardware and setups and the other is a more complicated screen with settings and sub-menus of more screens with more settings.

When did you buy the motherboard? if recent enough there's a high chance it came Ryzen 3000 ready. Also, if you kept it's box it might have a Ryzen 3000 Ready sticker on it. But then, since 3500's came out after the initial launch it might need a later BIOS to initialize properly.

Solution

pankodomik

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
I bought it in August 2019, after the Ryzen 3000 launched. The CPU is going to arrive today, if it doesn't work, I'll visit a technician that can give me an older Ryzen to update the BIOS

pankodomik

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
So I got the CPU, the pc kept rebooting and after like a minute I got into the BIOS and I saw the version that supports the CPU. After some problems with the error (New CPU installed fTPM NV corrupted) I got into Windows!
Seems like the BIOS really updated itself. Because on the label of the box it states that it comes with the first version of BIOS.

So I got the CPU, the pc kept rebooting and after like a minute I got into the BIOS and I saw the version that supports the CPU. After some problems with the error (New CPU installed fTPM NV corrupted) I got into Windows!
Seems like the BIOS really updated itself. Because on the label of the box it states that it comes with the first version of BIOS.

I really doubt BIOS 'self updated' as there's too many ways for that to go badly. I tend to think the people you bought the board from updated the BIOS before sending it to you. I'd also suggest updating to the latest BIOS as they've had several significant improvements to memory compatibility and over-all stability.

During initial memory training it can re-boot several times.

Did you reset CMOS? If not, do that now, and after BIOS updates, even if it seems to be running OK since there can be latent stability issues that won't come up till later.

You might also should do a clean re-install of Windows.