[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 and Asus B450-I

Jul 30, 2019
I just assembled a build for a friend and by the end of it everything turns on, all the lights, the fans spin, the GPU fan spins and lights are on but no post. There’s no reaction on my monitor at all. I am wondering could this be a bios update issue? What would the pc behave like if it was a bios update issue?

I saw a thread somewhere that this board is compatible with the cpu, I built an amd system before and I know about the long first time post but I don’t think this is it since it never reboots

Asus ROG B450-I
Ryzen 3600
MSI RX 5700 XT
G.Skill ripjaw V 3200mhz

Solution
Just states 1st and 2nd Gen for that board. So your first thought is probably right. It will require a BIOS update before the CPU will work.

not sure looking at that MB if the BIOS can be updated without a working CPU.

If thats the case, you will have to get hold of any 1st/2nd Gen chip, update the BIOS and should be good to go.

I heard a lot about this issue and the MB companies should really be sending these out with the new BIOS already on it. Then again depends how long the place you bought it from had it.....

your BIOS is here
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-I-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Jul 29, 2019
Just states 1st and 2nd Gen for that board. So your first thought is probably right. It will require a BIOS update before the CPU will work.

If thats the case, you will have to get hold of any 1st/2nd Gen chip, update the BIOS and should be good to go.

I heard a lot about this issue and the MB companies should really be sending these out with the new BIOS already on it. Then again depends how long the place you bought it from had it.....

your BIOS is here

Last edited:
Reactions: Wlkanos
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
I heard a lot about this issue and the MB companies should really be sending these out with the new BIOS already on it.
It takes several months for most older boards to trickle out of the market place and AMD didn't have a production-ready AGESA blob to send to board manufacturers going into launch week, which means we're several more months away from most boards on the market being preloaded with an updated BIOS where applicable.

The safest bet is to go with boards that have been re-launched with 3rd-gen specific marketing like MSI's MAX series.

Jul 30, 2019

your BIOS is here
I hope that a bios update is the culprit, I’ll update the thread afterwards if that was the fix or not. Thanks.

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
It takes several months for most older boards to trickle out of the market place and AMD didn't have a production-ready AGESA blob to send to board manufacturers going into launch week, which means we're several more months away from most boards on the market being preloaded with an updated BIOS where applicable.

The safest bet is to go with boards that have been re-launched with 3rd-gen specific marketing like MSI's MAX series.

I contacted ASRock. I was told that their B450 boards are now shipping with a compatible BIOS and a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on the box. That means you'd probably need to visit a brick-and-mortar store and inspect the box before you buy it. Fry's and Best Buy don't carry any ASRock motherboards, but the MicroCenter nearest me has the B450 Pro4 and Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4.

I also contacted Asus about the ROG B450-F (which both Best Buy and Fry's do carry). They said those are not currently shipping with a compatible BIOS, and I'd thus need an older CPU to do a BIOS update.

Jul 30, 2019

your BIOS is here
Twas a BIOS update

TRENDING THREADS