Question Ryzen 3600 boosts to 4ghz and then stays there, even when idle, and fix?

Jan 15, 2020
Hi there,

I've recently upgraded my system to a Ryzen 3600 with and MSI b450m Mortar max motherboard and 16gb of ddr4-3200 memory. I'm currently using the stock cpu cooler that comes with the cpu.

I'm not very knowledgeable about CPU boosting and turboing but what's currently happening is when I start up the system the cpu will stay at 3.6Ghz as it's supposed to, with the cpu fan running around 40%. The problem is that whenever I run something that requires the CPU to boost, usually a game, the CPU boosts up to roughly 4ghz and the fan goes up to 100%, as expected, but it then just stays there, even hours after I've touched anything that could stress the CPU.

This wouldn't be too bad except the fan constantly runs at 100%. Something I noted was that the cpu temps (according to core temp) drops from 65 degrees down to roughly 53 degrees then jumps immediately back up to 65 degrees, constantly. Currently it's just staying at 65 degrees.

I have no idea what could be wrong or what I can do to fix it. I'm tempted to disable boosting or open up the pc again and remount the cooler, but I wanted to ask here first.

Thank you for any help

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you haven't changed the "power plan" settings to high performance or Ryzen balanced, I would call that quite unusual.

I would check thermal paste and seat first. Remember that if you used the stock paste to slightly wiggle the cooler loose as pulling straight up has a bad habit of pulling the CPU out with the cooler.

Jan 15, 2020
If you haven't changed the "power plan" settings to high performance or Ryzen balanced, I would call that quite unusual.

I would check thermal paste and seat first. Remember that if you used the stock paste to slightly wiggle the cooler loose as pulling straight up has a bad habit of pulling the CPU out with the cooler.
I think i will check again and reseat it