[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 BSODS

Henry97

Reputable
May 9, 2016
Hi,
I've recently changed (gpu) my system and after a bios reset I tried redoing my OC but had several issues.

During the next few days, I've experienced a vast array of BSODs and game crashes. Reinstalling windows made it better but I still experienced several crashes and 1BSOD in Call of duty.

However, when I locked my CPU to 4GHz and 1.325V both BSOD and game crashes stopped.

In this case what would be the expected failing component? Mobo? CPU? PSU? Is anything I can do to reduce the likely failing component list?

Specs:
Ryzen 3600
32GB ram @ 3200cl16
Msi X470 gaming pro
1080ti
620W 80+bronze seasonic
Water-cooling with D5 pump
8 ml120/sp120 fans
2 NVME ssds
2 7200rpm HDDs

Thanks

Solution
Sounds more like a failed oc vs a failing component.

Turn off all overclocks and run the system to see if the bsods repeat themselves. Seems the 3000 series has little to no oc headroom, and most of the time leaving it to do it's own thing will actually be better.

Your previous gpu had to be weaker and your cpu was not forced to the maximum.

The ryzen 5 3600 are very squeezed out the box and in practice have no OC margin. In fact there is only one of the cores that can reach the maximum turbo speed (and windows knows how to take advantage of it). You can know it with ryzen manager. Manual OC demands high speeds from cores unable to maintain them. Delete the manual OC and use only the pbo.

At the time of the BSOD I...

The ryzen 5 3600 are very squeezed out the box and in practice have no OC margin. In fact there is only one of the cores that can reach the maximum turbo speed (and windows knows how to take advantage of it). You can know it with ryzen manager. Manual OC demands high speeds from cores unable to maintain them. Delete the manual OC and use only the pbo.

Henry97

Reputable
May 9, 2016
Sounds more like a failed oc vs a failing component.

Turn off all overclocks and run the system to see if the bsods repeat themselves. Seems the 3000 series has little to no oc headroom, and most of the time leaving it to do it's own thing will actually be better.

At the time of the BSOD I had no OC, only pbo.
Anyways, just solved my issue.
I was so worried about leaks when I mounted the liquid cooling that I've connected the cpu power incorrectly (4pins in cpu_power1 and 4 in cpu_power2, instead of 8 in cpu_power1) because my board has the 8+4 pin connector (theoretically for extreme OC under LN).

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Solution