[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 cooler for my case.

Dec 9, 2019
Hello there,

I have case Zalman Z9 U3, I am upgrading my PC with Ryzen 3600. I am going to buy some decent B450 MAX MOBO, so I am planning to squeeze out the CPU for 200 MHz more (?). I guess, that stock cooler is not suitable for this purpose.

Could you recommend to me some good cooler for it? I had Scythe Katana 4, but mounting kits for AM4 socket costs around 16 EUR and it is quite amount for two small metal parts with four screws.

Is it worth to buy KATANA 4 mounting kit and it will be fine for my purpose, or should I buy something better?

On my case, I have 3 fans right now: one on the top, one on the back side and one at the front. There is free space for one fan at the bottom of the case and one another on the top.

I accept water and air cooler, but I would like to have coller, which will not restrict too much my access to MOBO components, f.e. restricting me to use 4 RAM slots (altough now, I am going to use probably just 2x8 gb).

So the main goals are: fine temperature, possibility to handle as well some newer CPU's when the current one will be upgraded, good access to MOBO and cooler must fit to my current case (obviously). RGB is a bonus.

Main purpose of this PC is gaming.

Thank you so much.

Hello there,

I have case Zalman Z9 U3, I am upgrading my PC with Ryzen 3600. I am going to buy some decent B450 MAX MOBO, so I am planning to squeeze out the CPU for 200 MHz more (?). I guess, that stock cooler is not suitable for this purpose.

Could you recommend to me some good cooler for it? I had Scythe Katana 4, but mounting kits for AM4 socket costs around 16 EUR and it is quite amount for two small metal parts with four screws.

Is it worth to buy KATANA 4 mounting kit and it will be fine for my purpose, or should I buy something better?

On my case, I have 3 fans right now: one on the top, one on the back side and one at the front. There is free space for one fan at the bottom of the case and one another on the top.

I accept water and air cooler, but I would like to have coller, which will not restrict too much my access to MOBO components, f.e. restricting me to use 4 RAM slots (altough now, I am going to use probably just 2x8 gb).

So the main goals are: fine temperature, possibility to handle as well some newer CPU's when the current one will be upgraded, good access to MOBO and cooler must fit to my current case (obviously). RGB is a bonus.

Main purpose of this PC is gaming.

Thank you so much.
KATANA 4 would do it although not much better than OEM cooler due to only 90mm fan. Just one thing, are you talking about 200MHz over base or max boost frequency ? In first case it's not worth OCing it as max automatic boost is 4.2GHz and in second case probably impossible even with best cooler. A cooler better than OEM would probably let you stay at 62 - 65c under full load where automatic boost works best.

Reactions: namsary
Dec 9, 2019
Just one thing, are you talking about 200MHz over base or max boost frequency ? In first case it's not worth OCing it as max automatic boost is 4.2GHz and in second case probably impossible even with best cooler. A cooler better than OEM would probably let you stay at 62 - 65c under full load where automatic boost works best.

Thank you. I don't really know exactly, what is potential there, I am aware, that Ryzens are on their limits out of the box, I was wondering to use rather PBO than manual OCing. But definitely, I would like to use the "full" potential of the CPU, so temperature should be no obstacle.

Thank you. I don't really know exactly, what is potential there, I am aware, that Ryzens are on their limits out of the box, I was wondering to use rather PBO than manual OCing. But definitely, I would like to use the "full" potential of the CPU, so temperature should be no obstacle.
Be avare that if you can't overclock to ~4.2GHz your single core performance would suffer as auto boost can drive single core higher than your planned OC,
If all core performance is a goal, less than 4GHz is not going to be much of help as PBO should be able to hit at least 3.8GHz reliably.

Last edited:
Reactions: namsary
Dec 9, 2019
Be avare that if you can't overclock to ~4.2GHz your single core performance would suffer as auto boost can drive single core higher than your planned OC,
If all core performance is a goal, less than 4GHz is not going to be much of help as PBO should be able to hit at least 3.8GHz reliably.

goal is gaming, so in these days, what matters is more single core performance, but trend will be probably more cores and threads for gaming

so you think, that for my purpose, I should just stay with the box cooler?