Question Ryzen 3600 Failure, CPU red led, b450 Tomahawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuddlyduck

Reputable
Jul 18, 2019
Hi,
Ryzen 3600 build was working fine for few months but it suddenly stopped working and I see CPU red led on , when trying to boot again. It stays on for a few second and the entire system turns off. Below are the stuff i tried But THEY ALL FAILED

1. switching my ram (8gb x 1) to another slot and trying to boot
  2. Removing and reinserting GPU
  3. Removing CMOS Battery for a day and reinstalling
  4. Removing all Mother board connections including CPU, Installing latest bios via USB Flash ( 4gb pendrive failed, 32 Gb worked , Flash successful) and reinstalling for boot

Still no hope

One thing i noticed while removing CPU stock cooler : The part of the stock cooler fin that comes in contact with the CPU locking steel stick showed some light burn marks. However I dont think the CPU Overheated. CPU Looks good as new. and all pins are straight and thermal paste was still not dried up. I have also correctly inserted the CPU.

ANY SUGGESTIONS GUYS....

Starcruiser

Honorable
Tech these days gets more and more impressive. Flashing with no cpu? Genius. The fact the flash was successful helps rule out motherboard problems, though sometimes they can be sneaky.

I would return the cpu for a warranty replacement. You've done all the major steps in troubleshooting. Worst case? The new one doesn't work and we know the cpu isn't at fault. If you can, borrow a cpu from a friend that will fit and see if it passes post to get a definite answer.

Reactions: cuddlyduck
burn mark may be a sign of a short. probably can try to replace the CPU under wty.

more likely ESD than overheating as most CPU's will throttle or bluescreen before frying

Hi,
Ryzen 3600 build was working fine for few months but it suddenly stopped working and I see CPU red led on , when trying to boot again. It stays on for a few second and the entire system turns off. Below are the stuff i tried But THEY ALL FAILED

1. switching my ram (8gb x 1) to another slot and trying to boot
  2. Removing and reinserting GPU
  3. Removing CMOS Battery for a day and reinstalling
  4. Removing all Mother board connections including CPU, Installing latest bios via USB Flash ( 4gb pendrive failed, 32 Gb worked , Flash successful) and reinstalling for boot
Still no hope

One thing i noticed while removing CPU stock cooler : The part of the stock cooler fin that comes in contact with the CPU locking steel stick showed some light burn marks. However I dont think the CPU Overheated. CPU Looks good as new. and all pins are straight and thermal paste was still not dried up. I have also correctly inserted the CPU.

ANY SUGGESTIONS GUYS....

Reactions: cuddlyduck
Status
Not open for further replies.