[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 full of issues

May 2, 2020
So I’ve been having nothing but issues since upgrading to ryzen a week or so ago; my newest issue is that for some reason it doesn’t volt down now and it’s stuck at 1.4 volts when previously it would idle down to 0.9 not only am I worried about cpu degradation this also causes my temps at idle to be 60 degrees rather than the high 30/ low 40s. Anyone have any help it idea what’s causing this? Thanks in advance guys

Solution
Thanks I’ll have a look and it should be installed okay my temps were pretty good with my old cpu which was an i5 7500. Again thanks for taking your time to help means a lot!
Just keep in mind that Ryzen does not work the same as Intel processors. Ryzen boosts individual cores to maximum clocks from idle in an effort to return as many cores as possible to deep sleep state as soon as possible. They called it a 'rush to idle' at launch.

When set up right, Windows' scheduler also prefers the best cores by switching turns for boosting as it moves processing loads among those cores. This can look very chaotic, with lots of clock, voltage and temperature spikes and ramping down. And even unbalanced with some cores staying at a very...
May 2, 2020
I am not sure it is of the import that it was right after release. Try 'balanced' and see if your voltage changes.
Are you using any type of OC program or changed things in BIOS?
If so you might consider a CMOS reset and start over to see if that fixes it.
I didn’t touch bios and do you mean just windows balanced? Thanks for taking your time to help out!

Reactions: punkncat
So I’ve been having nothing but issues since upgrading to ryzen a week or so ago; my newest issue is that for some reason it doesn’t volt down now and it’s stuck at 1.4 volts when previously it would idle down to 0.9 not only am I worried about cpu degradation this also causes my temps at idle to be 60 degrees rather than the high 30/ low 40s. Anyone have any help it idea what’s causing this? Thanks in advance guys
What are your system specs? motherboard, cooler, gpu, case and fans in particular...but psu too

You need to be sure to set up windows right by installing the chipset drivers. get them from AMD's support web site to get the latest. once installed run the Ryzen balanced power plan, don't make changes.

in BIOS you should set following to enabled: cool'n'quiet, global c states, processor cppc and cppc preferred cores.

also, if you're running motherboard utilities or icue it's usually best to set up whatever they set up then uninstall them as they frequently run needlessly in the background and cause the processor to heat up

now...if everything is set up correctly ryzen 3000 boosts from idle with spikes in temperature and voltage each time. that's perfectly normal. the voltage spikes can be to as high as 1.5v so don't be surprised, it's safe and by design.

temps at idle might be 40-50C with spikes up to 65-70C with stock cooling. better cooling can lower temps into 30's but spikes up to 65C will still occurr as it's the nature of 7nm process tech. Also with stock cooling temps upwards of 90-95C is not uncommon on extremely heavy stress type processing workloads. getting better cooling definitely helps as the wraithe stealth cooler should be considered as the most basic for bare functionality. Even a Hyper212-type cooler will keep stress temps in the mid 70's, which is ideal for Ryzen 3000 max temps as it keeps the processor from pulling clocks to much under load.

Reactions: Dipto
May 2, 2020
What are your system specs? motherboard, cooler, gpu, case and fans in particular...but psu too

You need to be sure to set up windows right by installing the chipset drivers. get them from AMD's support web site to get the latest. once installed run the Ryzen balanced power plan, don't make changes.

in BIOS you should set following to enabled: cool'n'quiet, global c states, processor cppc and cppc preferred cores.

also, if you're running motherboard utilities or icue it's usually best to set up whatever they set up then uninstall them as they frequently run needlessly in the background and cause the processor to heat up

now...if everything is set up correctly ryzen 3000 boosts from idle with spikes in temperature and voltage each time. that's perfectly normal. the voltage spikes can be to as high as 1.5v so don't be surprised, it's safe and by design.

temps at idle might be 40-50C with spikes up to 65-70C with stock cooling. better cooling can lower temps into 30's but spikes up to 65C will still occurr as it's the nature of 7nm process tech. Also with stock cooling temps upwards of 90-95C is not uncommon on extremely heavy stress type processing workloads. getting better cooling definitely helps as the wraithe stealth cooler should be considered as the most basic for bare functionality. Even a Hyper212-type cooler will keep stress temps in the mid 70's, which is ideal for Ryzen 3000 max temps as it keeps the processor from pulling clocks to much under load.
My specs are a ryzen r5 3600, cooler is the kraken x62, asus b450-f strix, rtx 2060 super, 16gbs ddr4 @ 2666, psu is a Corsair 750 wats cx and my case is the NZXT 340w

I’ve updated all drivers and did a fresh windows install as I’ve just upgraded cpu and motherboard; I’m unsure how to use the ASU’s bios I’ve tried to look for a guide but nothing that’s helped so its all stock. Thanks for replying

My specs are a ryzen r5 3600, cooler is the kraken x62, asus b450-f strix, rtx 2060 super, 16gbs ddr4 @ 2666, psu is a Corsair 750 wats cx and my case is the NZXT 340w

I’ve updated all drivers and did a fresh windows install as I’ve just upgraded cpu and motherboard; I’m unsure how to use the ASU’s bios I’ve tried to look for a guide but nothing that’s helped so its all stock. Thanks for replying
That cooler you should be able to get pretty good performance if radiator installed right.

Look through BIOS to try and find those settings. They can make significant improvements in both temperature at idle and as well performance in light bursty kinds of loads, which is exactly what games are.

May 2, 2020
Thanks I’ll have a look and it should be installed okay my temps were pretty good with my old cpu which was an i5 7500. Again thanks for taking your time to help means a lot!

Just keep in mind that Ryzen does not work the same as Intel processors. Ryzen boosts individual cores to maximum clocks from idle in an effort to return as many cores as possible to deep sleep state as soon as possible. They called it a 'rush to idle' at launch.

When set up right, Windows' scheduler also prefers the best cores by switching turns for boosting as it moves processing loads among those cores. This can look very chaotic, with lots of clock, voltage and temperature spikes and ramping down. And even unbalanced with some cores staying at a very low idle speed when under light loads. But it's all perfectly normal.

Solution
May 2, 2020

When set up right it also prefers the best cores, switching turns for boosting as it moves processing loads among those cores. This can look very chaotic, with lots of clock, voltage and temperature spikes and ramping down. And even unbalanced with some cores staying at a very low idle speed when under light loads. But it's all perfectly normal.
I’ll keep this in mind thanks, I’ll try and run some stress tests I’m hope it sorts it out

Have you actually done what you're saying. If I uninstall iCue I no longer have control over RGB or fans and pump. That means I have RGB puke everywhere.

I will say that my motherboard utilities behave the way you say. I install the app, set the color profile off or red and uninstall.

Reactions: Dipto and PedbigM
May 2, 2020
Have you actually done what you're saying. If I uninstall iCue I no longer have control over RGB or fans and pump. That means I have RGB puke everywhere.

I will say that my motherboard utilities behave the way you say. I install the app, set the color profile off or red and uninstall.
Usually with icue etc, on my temps are fine it turns out it was power plan issue it keeps on changing for some reason and bios wasn’t fully utilised I’m now seeing 50-60 in games so that fine still some mild issues like some crashes but should be able to iron them out

Last edited:

Ohh...I don't use iCue and wouldn't, I'm not an RGB fan anyway. But if you HAVE to use it to effectively get what you want...well then you have to.

But one thing to do is get a baseline understanding of your system's performance when it's 'clean' so when you install things like that at least you understand the effects it's having, both good and bad. Gives you some good data to decide what's more important. Also, get on their customer support site and scream back that them for crap software they make you use. It's just not right to mess up systems the way much of that stuff does.

BTW...i just run my LM240 pump 100% all the time off of a fan header. It's dead quiet so it makes very little sense not to.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Ohh...I don't use iCue and wouldn't, I'm not an RGB fan anyway. But if you HAVE to use it to effectively get what you want...well then you have to.

But one thing to do is get a baseline understanding of your system's performance when it's 'clean' so when you install things like that at least you understand the effect it's having. Gives you some good data to decide what's more important. Also, get on their customer support site and scream back that them for crap software they make you use. It's just not right to mess up systems the way much of that stuff does.
Yes that’s true thankfully I’m happy with how it performs; the only issue was temp and high voltage which seems to have become more stable now

But one thing to do is get a baseline understanding of your system's performance when it's 'clean' so when you install things like that at least you understand the effects it's having, both good and bad. Gives you some good data to decide what's more important. Also, get on their customer support site and scream back that them for crap software they make you use. It's just not right to mess up systems the way much of that stuff does.

BTW...i just run my LM240 pump 100% all the time off of a fan header. It's dead quiet so it makes very little sense not to.
I also am not a fan of RGB, just R. Plus the keyboard and mouse go all fruity without iCue running. Lol

TRENDING THREADS