Question Ryzen 3600 high temperature.

UncleFelow

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
Hello, I built my PC with a ryzen 3600,dark rock pro 4, Meshify c 2 140mm intake fans and 2 exhaust fans. Idle temperature is around 40/43 and running aida64 for 2 minutes made the temperature reach a shocking 83.. my room temperature is 20c this is unacceptable with stock settings. Is there a way to know if my CPU cooler middle fan is working? Because I can only see the front fan..

Thank you.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I've seen this being reported a lot on 3600 CPU's around here. The high "idle temps" are usually the CPU boosting voltaeg and clocks while running light background tasks and the temps are normal. This happens on the older CPU's too. High load temps can be bios/voltage related (MSI pops up often here) and some appear to be the CPU's themselves running hot. If you have your CPU fans on separate headers HWinfo64 will show your fan speeds listed by headers.

Dialing in a manual voltage and clock multiplier should tell you quickly if you have a hot running CPU. 4.1-4.2 ghz should be no problem at 1.35 vcore. If that runs over 75c in aida on that cooler you have a hot running (possibly faulty) CPU. I have 3 of them and none have temp issues.

Make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset driver directly from AMD and you are on windows 10 1903.

Last edited:

UncleFelow

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
I've seen this being reported a lot on 3600 CPU's around here. The high "idle temps" are usually the CPU boosting voltaeg and clocks while running light background tasks and the temps are normal. This happens on the older CPU's too. High load temps can be bios/voltage related (MSI pops up often here) and some appear to be the CPU's themselves running hot. If you have your CPU fans on separate headers HWinfo64 will show your fan speeds listed by headers.

Dialing in a manual voltage and clock multiplier should tell you quickly if you have a hot running CPU. 4.1-4.2 ghz should be no problem at 1.35 vcore. If that runs over 75c in aida on that cooler you have a hot running (possibly faulty) CPU. I have 3 of them and none have temp issues.

Make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset driver directly from AMD and you are on windows 10 1903.
Good Lord.. I hope it's not faulty and it'll be fixed with bios updates.
My CPU cooler uses a splitter so the info only shows 1 fan which means can't know if the middle fan is working or not.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Good Lord.. I hope it's not faulty and it'll be fixed with bios updates.
My CPU cooler uses a splitter so the info only shows 1 fan which means can't know if the middle fan is working or not.

Disconnect the front fan from the splitter temporarily for testing. I haven't confirmed the hot CPU thing myself. I did participate in a thread where we determined his voltage was fine and cooling was up to snuff yet he was still seeing much higher temps than any of my 3600's with worse coolers.

What mobo do you have? Where did you buy your CPU? I believe Amazon and Micro Center are 30 day returns. I believe Newegg is 14 days. If you piss and moan enough any place might let you return/exchange.

Read this if you haven't already:

The final word on idle voltages for 3rd Gen ryzen : Amd

If you are just stuck on 1.4v all the time its probably a bios bug. You should only be seeing 1.4v or more on light loads. If you run a stress test you should be around 1.3. The voltage should shift dynamically based on load.

UncleFelow

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
Disconnect the front fan from the splitter temporarily for testing. I haven't confirmed the hot CPU thing myself. I did participate in a thread where we determined his voltage was fine and cooling was up to snuff yet he was still seeing much higher temps than any of my 3600's with worse coolers.

What mobo do you have? Where did you buy your CPU? I believe Amazon and Micro Center are 30 day returns. I believe Newegg is 14 days. If you piss and moan enough any place might let you return/exchange.

Read this if you haven't already:

The final word on idle voltages for 3rd Gen ryzen : Amd

If you are just stuck on 1.4v all the time its probably a bios bug. You should only be seeing 1.4v or more on light loads. If you run a stress test you should be around 1.3. The voltage should shift dynamically based on load.

My Mobo is an X570 Msi mpg gaming plus. Voltages are around 1.3/1.35. As for RMA the CPU I can't in my country the warranty system sucks unless the it is dead I can't rma it.

About disconnecting the front fan I will do that tomorrow thank you.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
That sucks. So you get 82c at 4.1ish ghz at 1.3ish volts in aida? Not to make you feel bad but that's worse than i got on a 3700x with the same cooler. What are you using to monitor temp? Use Ryzen master or HWinfo. HWmonitor is unreliable.

Reactions: UncleFelow

UncleFelow

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
That sucks. So you get 82c at 4.1ish ghz at 1.3ish volts in aida? Not to make you feel bad but that's worse than i got on a 3700x with the same cooler. What are you using to monitor temp? Use Ryzen master or HWinfo. HWmonitor is unreliable.
And that's only for 2 minutes of Aida I stopped it
Fearing that I might burn the chip.. I'll tell you if there are any news after I get some sleep it's 4:40AM here. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: rigg42

UncleFelow

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
Yeah the cooler is running fine running prime95 for 5 minutes on stock settings gives me 75C and enabling PBT on ryzen master makes it jump to 93 I stopped it after 3 minutes outta unease.

TRENDING THREADS