[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 High Temperature

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Hi,

I have a temperature problem with my Ryzen 3600.

Here are my specs:
  • Case : meshify C
  • 4 fans : 2 silent wings 3 140mm at the front and the meshify C original fans 120mm at the back and top)
  • Sapphire nitro+ radeon rx 5700 xt
  • RAM : 2x8 GO Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D30AESCK 3000 MHz

With the stocker cooler and stock settings (except PBO and Ram sets at 3533 mhz), the CPU reaches 92C at the end of Cinebench R20, 95C after 2mn of OCCT small data set Avx.

The results were better with the hyper 212 black edition but still not as they should be, with 87C during OCCT stress test after 2mn.

When I tried a slight OC at 4100 mhz and 1.3V, I reached 100C in 1mn on OCCT with the hyper 212.

I formated my PC, updated to the last drivers bios and chipset but the results remained the same.

I RMA'ed my CPU, AMD sent me a new one (without any explanation given for the first) but I still have the same results as before with the stock cooler (didn't try with the hyper 212).

Could it be that they sent me another defective CPU or the problem comes from something else? How can I figure this out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
evvery time you raise voltages in the cpu to made it run faster you will get higher temp could you try this use the lower front fan on top and put the top one in lower front then recheck temp .

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I can't help feel that you're setting the cooler on the processor incorrectly. The odds of 2 defective CPUs in a row are very unlikely. Are the video card temps ok? Try turning PBO off, it really doesn't help much anyways

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz and RodroX
I already build 2 diferent R5 3600, with stock coolers both of this got to 86~87,5°C after 10 mins of CB R20 looping.

So I have to agree with beorn, theres something wrong here, either the cooler is not properly installed, or theres also some problem with airflow, the case, and/ or you live in a really, but really hot place.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Here are my answers guys:

- I can't help feel that you're setting the cooler on the processor incorrectly : I replaced them both several times already, I honestly don't know how I could go wrong here since it seems pretty straight forward. But I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

- Are the video card temps ok : tbh I was so focused on the CPU temp that I didn't pay much attention to the GPU temp. What a ok temp is supposed to be while gaming? While playing Assassin Creed Syndicate, it's around 70C.

- I did a CMOS reset and ran cinebench with everything as default + PBO disabled and the temp with cinebench was the same

- theres also some problem with airflow, the case, and/ or you live in a really, but really hot place. : Temp is around 22C in the room. Fans seem to be in the good position (front as intake and back and top as exhaust)

- Motherboard is b450 tomahawk max

Of course, the chance of 2 CPUs in a row being defective is pretty low. But what I don't understand is why AMD replaced the first CPU if it wasn't defective? They didn't give me any explanation regarding the first one, they just sent a new one.

Could the problem come from the motherboard instead ?

Here are some photos of the build, if you guys can see something wrong going on: View: https://imgur.com/a/tywR0ie

Here are my answers guys:

- I can't help feel that you're setting the cooler on the processor incorrectly : I replaced them both several times already, I honestly don't know how I could go wrong here since it seems pretty straight forward. But I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

- Are the video card temps ok : tbh I was so focused on the CPU temp that I didn't pay much attention to the GPU temp. What a ok temp is supposed to be while gaming? While playing Assassin Creed Syndicate, it's around 70C.

- I did a CMOS reset and ran cinebench with everything as default + PBO disabled and the temp with cinebench was the same

- theres also some problem with airflow, the case, and/ or you live in a really, but really hot place. : Temp is around 22C in the room. Fans seem to be in the good position (front as intake and back and top as exhaust)

- Motherboard is b450 tomahawk max

Of course, the chance of 2 CPUs in a row being defective is pretty low. But what I don't understand is why AMD replaced the first CPU if it wasn't defective? They didn't give me any explanation regarding the first one, they just sent a new one.

Could the problem come from the motherboard instead ?

Here are some photos of the build, if you guys can see something wrong going on: View: https://imgur.com/a/tywR0ie

Lets go back to the basic, did you installed MSI Dragon Center by any chance?

What monitoring tool are you using?, right now to my humble knowledge Ryzen Master and hwinfo64 are the best for 3rd gen Ryzen. MSI afterburner got an update some months ago, and now it reports the right temps and volatge, but thats more gaming focused I rather use hwinfo when testing stuff like CB R20/prime95, etc.

Do you have only 1 monitoring tool runing/open at the time of testing? Having more than 1 can in some cases mess up the readings.

What the CPU temp in BIOS after 5 mins of standing there doing nothing?

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Maybe it's the combination of stock cooler and PBO. I'd try a decent cooler with high quality thermal paste. I just built myself an AMD 3900X/Nvidia 2060 RTX rig and I just tossed the stock cooler. Used a Noctua U12 SE-AM4 and the hottest I get on Cinebench 20 is 70-72 C. But I have no overclock and am slightly undervolted

InvalidError

Titan
Maybe it's the combination of stock cooler and PBO.
Since OP has tried a 212 Black Edition and has reset CMOS with PBO off, neither the stock cooler nor PBO appear to be the problem here. So, short of a mechanical issue with the 212BE or extreme bad luck with CPUs, it may be down to a VRM issue such as excessive voltage causing the CPU to draw more power than necessary.

Reactions: PC Tailor

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Lets go back to the basic, did you installed MSI Dragon Center by any chance? -> No, I'm using Ryzen Master and HWinfo64.

I have Only 1 Monitor and the temps in bios is around 40C.

AMD has no means of remotely diagnosing the CPU -> they don't test it themselves on one of their PC or something?

My first idea was that my issue was coming from the hyper 212 (I installed it before the stock cooler). But I guess 92C isn't normal even with the stock cooler so it doesn't seem to be a cooler issue.

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
It's the black edition, I stated it before.

Edit : regarding CPU temp in bios, with the first CPU it was 41C with the hyper 212 be, 47C with the stock cooler. Now its 50C.

Tonight I'll get the mb out of the case and redo the thermal paste.

Last edited:

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I thought the Hyper 212 was considered marginal even for the 7700K a full 3.5 years ago...

Not sure why it would then be an acceptable ore recommended cooler on the R5-3600 suddenly...

Not sure thats true. I run a Hyper 212 Black on a R5 3600X and never goes above 36°C idle or 69°C under full gaming load.

It does its job and it does it well.

Im guessing if my Gammaxx GTE can keep the Ryzen 5 3600 at a Max 79.8ºC after 37' (mins) of prime95 SmallFFT (AVX On), then the Hyper 212 Black should be pretty similar, or even a little better.

But yeah I would not use an hyper 212 evo for overclocking the Core i7 7700K.

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Please watch the language
Alright, so I uninstall and reinstalled everything in the case (got the mb out etc).
It seemed to me that my previous thermal paste application was alright. I added a photo of what it looked like after removing the cooler here: View: https://imgur.com/a/tywR0ie

This time, I installed the new stock cooler received with the new CPU, with the thermal paste already in place (7 blades vs. 5 for the first one).

Sadly, on stock settings, the results are still the same in Cinebench: 92+C at the end...

I was playing Assassin Creed Syndicate yesterday and the CPU was at 90C.

I honestly don't know what more I can do. I'll reinstall the hyper 212 BE in a week or so, when I'll receive spare parts (I managed to Removed up 1 screw when trying to tighen the ventirad some more, Cooler Master sent me some spare parts).

Last edited by a moderator:

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Hi,

Here is an update:

I received the spare parts for the hyper 212 BE so I installed it back again.

I see a real difference in temperatures when I set things up manually : 4200 mhz and 1.175V : 35C in bios, 73C on cinebench (around 3800 pts), 60C in game, 85 OCCT.
I noticed that the voltage doesn't stick to 1.175V : it is 1.182V in bios, 1.138V in cinebench (and 1.175V in OCCT). Is this normal?

Basically, each time I tried to lower the voltage, my temp decreased. My question is: the difference in temp is huge with stock settings vs. manual: could that indicate that there might be an issue with the MB which would send too much volltage to the CPU?

I can RMA the MB but it goes by the reseller and it can takes up to 8 weeks to have it back, so I don't want to send it if it's fine.