Question Ryzen 3600 Idle Temp and Core speed Jumping up and down

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2019
Hi,
I recently build my new PC with Ryzen 3600 and Gigabyte X570 Gaming motherboard.

The issue is at idle it has a temp of around 50C and the clock speeds are constantly jumping up and down, even though there is no load on the CPU. I installed the latest drivers and still the same issues. I have no monitoring software running besides CPU-Z. CPU fan also constantly speeds up and slows down at idle.

Also my ram speed reads at 2400mhz, even though it should be 3200mhz. I don't know if that is related. Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a cpu specific thing, not general. A 54w core i3 is going to run very cool, more so in more efficient later generations. A 140w core i7 HEDT is going to run very hot. The current heat monster cpu belongs to the i9 9900k, it can generate well over 200w stock, lock the cores at turbo and its 250w. That's roughly the same as the prior king of heat, the AMD FX 9590. So heat is going to depend on exactly what cpu. Your prior Intel is half what you have now, and all that work will come at a price, even with a more efficient design, namely higher temps at times.

At idle, I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.
I suspect your cooler is not mounted well.
Possibly, you used too much paste.
Or, more likely, the cooler was not tightened down evenly.
Tighten in a crosswise pattern a little at a time.

How is your case cooling?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to do it's job.

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
I recently came from an Intel CPU (i7) as well, and I was starting to question that decision. Our issue sounds really similar. I was having a problem of my Ryzen 5 2600X running around 40-50C at idle, and it kept cycling through a range of temperatures, jumping up to around 50C, then counting back by about 1 degree per second before jumping back up again. So I was running 10-20C hotter despite also changing from a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($35) to a Noctua NH-U12S ($60).

But now I'm idling around 31C, and no weird temperature cycling, all from 1 simple change to a Windows Setting. Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options --> Edit Plan Settings --> Change advanced power settings -->(new window) expand Processor Power Management --> expand Maximum Processor State. Change it from 100% to 99%. If it's already below 100%, I guess this isn't the fix for you. You could try lowering the Minimum Processor State to 5%, but I didn't notice a difference.

Let me know if it helped.

Reactions: toyu20102000
Jul 19, 2019
I recently came from an Intel CPU (i7) as well, and I was starting to question that decision. Our issue sounds really similar. I was having a problem of my Ryzen 5 2600X running around 40-50C at idle, and it kept cycling through a range of temperatures, jumping up to around 50C, then counting back by about 1 degree per second before jumping back up again. So I was running 10-20C hotter despite also changing from a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($35) to a Noctua NH-U12S ($60).

But now I'm idling around 31C, and no weird temperature cycling, all from 1 simple change to a Windows Setting. Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options --> Edit Plan Settings --> Change advanced power settings -->(new window) expand Processor Power Management --> expand Maximum Processor State. Change it from 100% to 99%. If it's already below 100%, I guess this isn't the fix for you. You could try lowering the Minimum Processor State to 5%, but I didn't notice a difference.

Let me know if it helped.

I have tried that before, yes. It helped a little bit. I am around 40-45C when browsing. Do you change those settings when gaming or under heavier load on the CPU?

Reactions: toyu20102000

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
What was your solution ?
And yes setting the Maximum Processor State to 100% should give you the best performance.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. Setting it to 99% was my solution because it fixed the high temps and the constant cycling of temps. I just discovered that, so I'm not sure if I should be switching it up to 100% as needed yet. I guess I will if anything is maxing the CPU while set to 99%.

Feb 10, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.