Question Ryzen 3600 instability with B450 Mobo

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
I just upgraded my rig with a new Ryzen 3600 and B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC mobo. RAM is2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz, running and 2933 MHz. GPU is GTX 1080 Ti.

I had some problems with the initial boot up after installing MSI's updated BIOS using a USB, but overall it went smoothly enough. I was enjoying the system without issue for a few days, but two days ago the whole system crashed and wouldn't boot back up right away. I'm not overclocking the CPU or anything, just letting the it run on defaults. I had to wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to boot again after doing a power down using the PSU switch. If I tried to boot sooner, the CPU LED for the EZ Debug came on. That was while I was playing Anthem, so I thought maybe it was linked to the game. Unfortunately, last night while playing ME: Andromeda, the same thing happened, though I was able to play a lot longer.

One thing I was thinking--was I supposed to download drivers from AMD? I didn't do this originally, but did last night and was thinking maybe that was a problem. Anyways. after I downloaded them (I think, it just downloaded the Master Utility) I ran the stress test in gaming mode and the temps and everything else seemed to pass just fine.

So is it most likely that my computer crashed from:

1. Poor BIOS implementation from MSI, and I'll need to wait for another update for improved stability?
  2. Lack of installing the Master Utility / Drivers (?) from AMD?
  3. Buggy Bioware games? (though I've previously played through ME:A twice without issue)?
  4. Something else?

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread with troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which version of the OS are you on? Which BIOS version are you running? Include the make and model of the PSU as well as it's age.

Mind explaining what you mean by a crash? Did the system shut off without warning during gameplay?

I just upgraded my rig with a new Ryzen 3600 and B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC mobo. RAM is2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz, running and 2933 MHz. GPU is GTX 1080 Ti.

I had some problems with the initial boot up after installing MSI's updated BIOS using a USB, but overall it went smoothly enough. I was enjoying the system without issue for a few days, but two days ago the whole system crashed and wouldn't boot back up right away. I'm not overclocking the CPU or anything, just letting the it run on defaults. I had to wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to boot again after doing a power down using the PSU switch. If I tried to boot sooner, the CPU LED for the EZ Debug came on. That was while I was playing Anthem, so I thought maybe it was linked to the game. Unfortunately, last night while playing ME: Andromeda, the same thing happened, though I was able to play a lot longer.

One thing I was thinking--was I supposed to download drivers from AMD? I didn't do this originally, but did last night and was thinking maybe that was a problem. Anyways. after I downloaded them (I think, it just downloaded the Master Utility) I ran the stress test in gaming mode and the temps and everything else seemed to pass just fine.

So is it most likely that my computer crashed from:

1. Poor BIOS implementation from MSI, and I'll need to wait for another update for improved stability?
  2. Lack of installing the Master Utility / Drivers (?) from AMD?
  3. Buggy Bioware games? (though I've previously played through ME:A twice without issue)?
  4. Something else?
Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Do a complete CMOS reset...disconnect power, pull battery, short reset CMOS pins.

When you first boot up go straight into BIOS and then do a LOAD DEFAULT SETTINGS, to load optimized defaults. Then hit F10 to save settings and reboot.

Which BIOS rev are you on? If you're not, update again to v180 using M-Flash in the BIOS. After updating both do a CMOS reset and load default settings again. You should always do this after any BIOS update to avoid problems from residual settings messing up the new BIOS.

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Ram: 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz (running at 2933 Mhz)
SSD/HDD: Samsung EVO 850 SSD
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
PSU: Seasonic 850 W Gold
Chassis: Phentaks Enthoo Pro

Which version of the OS are you on?
- Assuming the most recent version of Win 10. I had to have it remotely reactivated by MS after I installed the new Mobo.

Which BIOS version are you running?
- BIOS version 7B85v18, most recent one on MSI's website for supporting the new Ryzen processors

Include the make and model of the PSU as well as it's age.
- Seasonic 850 W Gold. Don't recall the age. It was about $120 new and purchased about 3 years ago, maybe 4 tops.

Mind explaining what you mean by a crash? Did the system shut off without warning during gameplay?
- Yes, system shut off unexpectedly during gameplay. Had to wait a few minutes before it would reboot, and the EZ Debug light for the CPU was on.

Also maybe worth noting, I'm running the stock Ryzen cooler.

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Do a complete CMOS reset...disconnect power, pull battery, short reset CMOS pins.
- Did the MOBO likely come with a CMOS jumper?

When you first boot up go straight into BIOS and then do a LOAD DEFAULT SETTINGS, to load optimized defaults. Then hit F10 to save settings and reboot.

Which BIOS rev are you on?
- I'm on V18, should be the most current one.

If you're not, update again to v180 using M-Flash in the BIOS.
- So no need to update again right? As mentioned it did it via USB and the button, exactly following MSI's instructions.

After updating both do a CMOS reset and load default settings again.
- So I'll just be trying the CMOS reset then.

You should always do this after any BIOS update to avoid problems from residual settings messing up the new BIOS.
- Good to know..

Thanks for the help! So you think MSI just neglected to mention that a CMOS reset was necessary after updating to the latest BIOS to support the new Ryzen processors? Is there any harm in continuing to run the system and see if the problem was maybe just a "one-off"?

Thanks for the help! So you think MSI just neglected to mention that a CMOS reset was necessary after updating to the latest BIOS to support the new Ryzen processors? ..
It used to be (way back when) BIOS updates were very rare and that was just an SOP well understood by anybody with the moxy to do it. But now days BIOS changes are more common and (usually) relatively minor so it's been largely forgot. But the new BIOS to support Ryzen 3000 chips, especially those on MSI boards, have major changes so it's a good practice to resurrect, and seems to help.

Some board vendors require you to do BIOS updates in turn: that is, do every revision in the sequence without skipping any. That would probably have the same effect.

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Thanks for the info. This was my first time. I cleared the CMOS a bit ago and then selected the option to restore defaults before going into the BIOS and setting my RAM speed back to 2933 from 2166.

Seemed to go ok. The computer froze up after clicking save and exit though. So I powered down via the psu, waited a bit, and then it booted up no problem.

I’ll give it a thorough test tonight and see if it ceases again. If it does I’m afraid I’ll probably send it back and just get an X570 board....and probably eat the $100 price difference to get the same features I have on the B450...and then maybe regret not getting a cheaper X570 and Ryzen 7 for the same price <sigh>. Unless of course this issue can be linked to my memory and a lack of stability there from the BIOS update.

As far as I know, I should be able to run 3000, but that’s a subject for a different thread.

:oops:

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
theres a beta bios version 19 for b450 pro carbon thats doing the rounds that was uploaded on the German Msi FTP site - I found the download link on reddit AMD section and its working great for me (I couldn't get official version 18 working)

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Interesting, I’m not sure what’s going on. I mean everything was and seems to be running great until I hit certain parts in certain games. In ME: Andromeda, it keeps crashing when I try to go to the galaxy map. After resetting the CMOS and restoring defaults and all. I think there’s a large spike in CPU usage here or I don’t know what. Anthem crashed on me too, but I never played it much before since it ran so poorly. Just wanted to see how my new system would handle it and of course, it didn’t go well.

Really confused.

I’ve also been running the gamut of cpu intensive games to test my new system and all has been going great. My frame rates essentially tripled in BFV coming from an old i5 4460. GTAV ran great too. Assassins creed origins ran ok but that games just a mess. After all the consistent mass Effect crashes though battlefield is running great now.

Is there something about certain graphic engines that might be incompatible with the new hardware?

I did a fresh install of the fame after installing the new hardware too...

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Don’t know what to do. I’m about to just return this and get an X570 while I still can. I don’t wanna have future games be unplayable for some weird reason like I’ve experienced.

Could be some terrible coincidence, but the only problems I’ve had are with Bioware games. Why oh why!

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Alright, here's an update with some strange behavior--the ME:A crashes right, yada yada, I keep saying that. I go for a full system shut down via PSU switch to turn off the fans and such, which are still running....mobo lights are still on. Maybe crashing different than I described earlier. So anyways, I shut down the power completely. Then I turn the power back on and try to turn the system on. Won't boot. Shut down the PSU switch a second time and then when I flip it back on, the whole thing boots back up without me needing to hit the switch on the case...

Is this a power supply issue? And if so, why would it be linked to bioware games only? Everything else seems to run fine.

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Soooo...I probably lost you all going off on this tangent here. It's all I can do to just try to log my problems here. But I just turned all the settings on ME:A to low and voila, the game no longer crashed.

I've been playing at 4k Ultra, 60 fps at 80% resolution scale (to keep frames steadier over 60). Did I exceed my GPUs memory or something, and if so, would that present itself as the issue I described? Really must be something to do with the Frostbite 3 engine? But is it related to the Mobo as originally thought, or other limitations of my system? I don't know why the EZ Debug CPU light comes on after the crash. These are million dollar questions.

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
For all my followers, turns out I had a problem with pagination validation er something from running my OS on an SSD and having the rest of my files on an HDD. Found these instructions on Reddit and it seems to have resolved my issue:

Right click the left bottom corner of your screen. A menu appears. Click on System (4th from the top normally). A window appears. (you can also access System through the control panel, this is just a shortcut).
  • You should have general system information appearing on the new window. On the left side you should have a line "Advanced System Settings". Click on it (admin rights will be required to access it).
  • A window named "System proprieties" should have appeared. In the performance section, click on settings. A new window appear.
  • On this new window, go to advanced.
  • On the "Virtual Memory" section, click on modify. A new window appears.
  • Just tick the box on top to save yourself the hassle, click ok to close and save the settings.
  • THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART : A WARNING MESSAGE SHOULD APPEAR AFTER YOU CLICK OK TO WARN YOU THAT YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER FOR THE CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT. If it hasn't appeared, you need to repeat the above steps until it does.
Big thanks to the homie that discovered that and did the write up. Don’t think it was a bug with the MSI BIOS/hardware after all. Hopefully I can put the system through the paces a bit more while I still have a return window, but everything seems good for now.

🆒