Question Ryzen 3600 keeps sticking to my cpu cooler.

Jun 28, 2020
Today I went to finish rebuilding my computer and i am having a issue with my ryzen cpu Its been stored in the original box in the garage a large box i keeps my pc parts in. Now i did clean off the paste and reapplied it many times. The cpu won't stay in the cpu slot on the motherboard. Is it a faulty cpu or motherboard? I tried both my cooler master cpu cooler and the one that came with the cpu. I don't know what to do.

Jun 28, 2020
I'll remember that its odd. I had the same motherboard it wouldn't boot red light so i bought a different ryzen. I thought ok its the cpu. So i got myself a ryzen 5 3600 cpu the cpu sit fine even after removing the cooler. The cpu cooler is in my room but the cpu is in the garage in the case it came in and its in the box but it sat for over 2 weeks in garage.

And now when i put the cpu in it goes in the socket ok i checked to make sure it is fully locked in before i put my cooler in and as soon as i start puting it on the cpu with new paste. It just sticks onto the cooler. So i thought its my paste witch i used the cooler master one So i tried a different paste and different cooler the one that came with the cpu as soon as i put it on it it stuck onto the cooler and it wasn't even attached yet to the motherboard.

I had the 2700x cpu when it was working then pc woudn't start up thats when i got the 3600 now i am wondering if the cpu being in the heat so long is causing this? On storm day over a month ago cpu just stooped working but had power with red light still on no display. This is the first time i had the cpu do this to me i built a desktop before so its not my first time. Could my mother be the issue? on the cpu light? motherboard is asus rog strix b450-f.

Furzumz

Reputable
I'll remember that its odd. I had the same motherboard it wouldn't boot red light so i bought a different ryzen. I thought ok its the cpu. So i got myself a ryzen 5 3600 cpu the cpu sit fine even after removing the cooler. The cpu cooler is in my room but the cpu is in the garage in the case it came in and its in the box but it sat for over 2 weeks in garage.

And now when i put the cpu in it goes in the socket ok i checked to make sure it is fully locked in before i put my cooler in and as soon as i start puting it on the cpu with new paste. It just sticks onto the cooler. So i thought its my paste witch i used the cooler master one So i tried a different paste and different cooler the one that came with the cpu as soon as i put it on it it stuck onto the cooler and it wasn't even attached yet to the motherboard.

I had the 2700x cpu when it was working then pc woudn't start up thats when i got the 3600 now i am wondering if the cpu being in the heat so long is causing this? On storm day over a month ago cpu just stooped working but had power with red light still on no display. This is the first time i had the cpu do this to me i built a desktop before so its not my first time. Could my mother be the issue? on the cpu light? motherboard is asus rog strix b450-f.

Just to make sure, it's the old processor that's getting stuck to the cooler despite being latched, right? Your new processor doesn't do this, just the old one?

If so, as Karadjgne mentioned, it seems to latch the processor by pinching a couple of pins. If your old processor isn't latching in place preventing it from moving its possible the pins the motherboard socket mechanism latches onto may of been broken off.

Check the pins on the processor that's giving you trouble. See if any of them look bent or broken

Jun 28, 2020
The 2700x never did it the 3600 the first time i put it in the motherboard before replacement went it fine but now when i put it in the motherboard it gets stuck. Do you think the motherboard is at fault? it feels like its in place it doesn't move around so it must be in right. I always feel to make sure its in property it goes in the socket just fine it just doesn't stay sitting. I didn't see any bent pins with a bright flash light maybe there is some i didn't see there tough to see. I did request a replacement from newegg for mine. The 2700x worked great 0 issues until a storm one day the 2700x was in the same motherboard i bought but the red light wouldn't go off i removed the cpu many times to see what was going on and i haven't had luck. This is a brand new motherboard and yet same issue so i can't figure out why the 3600 would not boot with display when the first time i put it in the motherboard it wasn't damaged at all. Maybe it was a defective one cause it hasn't worked since i got it like 2 weeks ago.

I first thought my graphics card was a issue too so i put it in a old pc witch i used before i built this one and no display issue.

Furzumz

Reputable
On storm day over a month ago cpu just stooped working

Sorry I missed this part. When it was storming was there lightning?

If lightning strikes close to your house it's possible it can fry electronics. During a lightning storm a lightning strike hit close nearby my house. It turned on my ceiling fan, it turned my radio on and it spun my computer fans despite my computer being off. Luckily nothing was fried that time but it can be dangerous for electronics.

If that storm you had was a lightning storm it may of fried a computer part. It would have no effect on boxed up parts in the garage but a nearby lightning strike has the possibility of damaging electronics that are plugged into a wall outlet.

As for the CPU being stuck to the cooler, I'm assuming it must be a issue with the motherboard's latching mechanism not working properly since you said there were no bent or missing pins that you could see.

Jun 28, 2020
Yeah lighting thats why i went for the motherboard replacement cause the lighting killed not just my computer but my dvr my hdmi splitter all in 5 minutes. At that time the 2700x was in the motherboard when the lighting hit. The cpu feels tight in the socket when i like try to move it to make sure its in correctly it doesn't move than up on my cpu cooler. I hope i don't have to return this motherboard for another replacement. I thought asus was a great company for computer stuff. I am so annoyed at this im ready to find a motherboard different brand with 3 pcie card slots and m2 for under 200.00.

Last edited:

Furzumz

Reputable
Yeah lighting thats why i went for the motherboard replacement cause the lighting killed not just my computer but my dvr my hdmi splatter all in 5 minutes. At that time the 2700x was in the motherboard when the lighting hit. The cpu feels tight in the socket when i like try to move it to make sure its in correctly it doesn't move than up on my cpu cooler. I hope i don't have to return this motherboard for another replacement. I thought asus was a great company for computer stuff. I am so annoyed at this im ready to find a motherboard different brand with 3 pcie card slots and m2 for under 200.00.

The CPU will have a tight fit when you put it in the socket, that's normal. The shape and size of the socket ensures it can't wiggle around when its seated in the socket.

However it can still be lifted out by your fingers or by a cooler if it isn't latched in place. Since your processor is still getting stuck to the cooler despite the lever being pushed down it makes me assume the latching mechanism that prevents the processor from lifting out is possibly broken which means you probably need a new motherboard.

Can you give us the name or model of the motherboard that's giving you this problem so I can check to see if there's anything about it that I'm possibly missing?

Furzumz

Reputable
Also, are you making sure the lever near the socket is fully unlatched before putting the processor in the socket?

I've heard of some people trying to put their CPU in the socket without fully releasing the tiny lever. That might cause the CPU to not properly latch allowing it to get stuck on the cooler

CM_07

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
Could anyone help me?? I think I have the same problem. I was trying to do my regular thermal paste replacement today and when I took out my cpu cooler is took out the cpu as well? Should I be concerned??

Could anyone help me?? I think I have the same problem. I was trying to do my regular thermal paste replacement today and when I took out my cpu cooler is took out the cpu as well? Should I be concerned??
No reason for concern unless you bent some pins. Check them carefully and straighten them before reinserting.

Removing the CPU is easy: just pull a length of dental floss between the CPU and the heatsink bottom. You can do it now, since you pulled the CPU out this time. But in the future, if you feel it won't come off you can also do it with the CPU in the socket and heatsink stuck on top.

CM_07

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
No reason for concern unless you bent some pins. Check them carefully and straighten them before reinserting.

Removing the CPU is easy: just pull a length of dental floss between the CPU and the heatsink bottom. You can do it now, since you pulled the CPU out this time. But in the future, if you feel it won't come off you can also do it with the CPU in the socket and heatsink stuck on top.
So my cpu socket hasn’t been damaged? Whats the cause of this? Is it just an AMD thing?

InvalidError

Titan
Also, are you making sure the lever near the socket is fully unlatched before putting the processor in the socket?
That is what I am thinking too. Ripping a CPU out of a LIF/ZIF socket requires a fair amount of force since the latching mechanism applies a good amount of force to ensure pins make reliable contact with their socket counterparts. The CPU coming off with the HSF shouldn't happen with a days old thermal paste application, it is mostly a many-months/years-old paste application issue, after thousands of thermal cycles have caused the paste to pack tightly or 'cure'.

So my cpu socket hasn’t been damaged? Whats the cause of this? Is it just an AMD thing?
It's an "AMD thing" only because of the interface, PGA. LGA sockets (the style Intel uses) have strong hold-down brackets that clamp the CPU onto the springy socket 'pins'.

I don't know why this has become such a problem only recently, after all AM3 and AM2 before that used the same PGA style. Maybe it's just so many former Intel-only crowd changing over and unfamiliar. In the same way, a former AMD guy on an Intel board might not be aware of just how delicate those tiny PGA contacts.

It's possible your socket is damaged. It pretty much depends on whether you pulled it out clean and straight or cocked the CPU sideways. If you did cock it sideways a lot then some CPU pins would also be bent.

Last edited:
...it is mostly a many-months/years-old paste application issue, after thousands of thermal cycles have caused the paste to pack tightly or 'cure'.

maybe mostly, but no where close to exclusively. It happened to me when i took my AIO off to reposition it. Or at least it would have if I hadn't stopped tugging when it was obviously way to hard even after twisting side to side. I had to resort to the dental floss (to be safe) and it was in place for less than a week.

CM_07

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
It's an "AMD thing" only because of the interface, PGA. LGA sockets (the style Intel uses) have strong hold-down brackets that clamp the CPU onto the springy socket 'pins'.

I don't know why this has become such a problem only recently, after all AM3 and AM2 before that used the same PGA style. Maybe it's just so many former Intel-only crowd changing over and unfamiliar. In the same way, a former AMD guy on an Intel board might not be aware of just how delicate those tiny PGA contacts.

It's possible your socket is damaged. It pretty much depends on whether you pulled it out clean and straight or cocked the CPU sideways. If you did cock it sideways a lot then some CPU pins would also be bent.
Right. LGA is way easier and I won’t be concerned too much if that happened to me on an Intel cpu but no it came out straight and cleanly

Right. LGA is way easier and I won’t be concerned too much if that happened to me on an Intel cpu but no it came out straight and cleanly
It's pointless to debate which is worse, or preferable, but on an Intel system you have to be extremely careful with the socket contacts. It's really easy to screw up those delicate little beauties. It's just a matter of which you pay close attention to during assembly/disassembly.

Last edited: