Question Ryzen 3600 MSI B450 - permanent freezing

ringzer

Commendable
Dec 16, 2017
I have recently rebuilt my PC with the following specification but am seeing frequent permanent freezing requiring a hard reset. I have been investigating for quite some time but not able to pinpoint the root cause.

I have seen many other threads here and elsewhere related to 3600 temporary freezing which can be resolved by adjusting power settings but my issue seems different.

AMD Ryzen 3600
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Asus GEForce GT710
Corsair PSU CX550M
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
Windows 10 Pro

I have updated everything to the latest - BIOS, Chipset, Drivers etc. And there are no issues with any hardware overheating.

I primarily use my PC to work connecting to work (i.e. no gaming) and I typically see the issue when on Citrix or when switching between my host PC and the Citrix session (running in full screen mode). However given the number of freezing threads related to 3600 I'm not convinced it is caused by using Citrix.

I originally had a friends MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card and suspected there was a hardware problem and when I swapped it for the GT710 it appeared to resolve the issue for a while.

However I have been seeing my PC freeze again in increasing frequency - maybe once per day. The interesting thing is that I have Zoom running on my host PC and my PC crashed today when in my Citrix session. However Zoom was still working (I could hear people and they could hear me) which was a bit weird, but I couldn't press any key or do anything. I don't get a BSOD or anything.

The biggest problem I have is that I have no idea what is causing it. I don't see anything in Event Viewer (unlike the other 3600 freezing issues I've seen)
When I rebuilt my PC I used my existing HDDs to store my data but the OS is on a new SSD.

Just today I have disconnected absolutely everything from my PC so that the new CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, SSD and PSU are the only things left. It is also a brand new Windows 10 clean reinstall. Doing this should hopefully rule in or out a HDD issue on my old HDDs (probably upwards of 5 years old).

I appreciate this is a bit of a weird problem but would appreciate some help with the following
  1. Can I identify a problem with my HDDs which could be causing this? [EDIT - it has happned since I've disconnected all my HDDs so it's not that]
  2. Other than EventViewer where else could I try and find some crash logs.
  3. Is this more likely a hardware or software issue?
  4. Is it possibly AHCI Power Management issue?
I've read this thread https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/new-build-with-ryzen-5-3600-freezing-help.258184/page-3 and the Windows 10 Pro install was taken directly from MS using the Media Creation Tool so should be the latest version available.

Last edited:

ringzer

Commendable
Dec 16, 2017
Unfortuantely not. Why do you think it is the RAM? Can I validated the RAM somehow?

Edit:
I'll run MemTest86 overnight tonight to see if there are any errors with my RAM

Last edited:

ringzer

Commendable
Dec 16, 2017
So I've ran a MemTest86 overnight and didn't see any issues.

Someone else on Reddit suggested I uninstall the AMD GPU Drivers so I did that using DDU and reinstalled the AMD Chipset drivers directly from AMD.

Is there anything else I should do?