Question Ryzen 3600 or 2600

fmy

Aug 6, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm planning to build this with Ryzen 3600: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tfmKZf

Mainly to programming and videogames(gameplays), also make VM's and editing videos to Youtube.

But I've seen that maybe I can get a similar result with the 2600 and invest the difference in money in a better GPU or display.

What dou you recommend? Is it worth going for the 3600?

The 3600 is a good CPU, and could net you up to around 15% better performance in CPU-limited scenarios, but at this budget level it might be worth cutting back to a Ryzen 2600 and putting the difference toward graphics hardware, if gaming performance in modern, graphically-demanding games is a primary concern.

The $75+ saved by going with the 2600 could be used to move to something like a GTX 1660, a card that should be close to 40% faster than an RX 570 in modern games. Or you might even be able to stretch your budget a bit more for a GTX 1660 Ti, a card that could be more than 50% faster than an RX 570. What kind of monitor (resolution and refresh rate) were you looking at getting?

Of course, application performance is likely to depend more on the CPU, so an argument could be made for going with the 3600 too.

Your PC is unbalanced. The Ryzen 5 3600 is comparatively much more powerful than the RX 570. It is better to stay on Ryzen 5 2600 and look for a better GPU.

In addition, you must note that to use the 3600 with the chosen mobo, you must update the bios and, therefore, have a compatible cpu or order it from your supplier, which will be an expense.

I'm looking for a monitor resolution 1920x1080 and refresh rate 60Hz / 75Hz .
If you are looking to buy a new monitor, it might be worth getting a high refresh rate model, as they don't cost all that much more than the standard refresh options anymore. There are now a number of 1080p, 144Hz FreeSync displays available in the $150-$200 range. And as long as the screen supports FreeSync over a DisplayPort connection, that feature should work on Nvidia's cards now as well, once manually enabled in the settings.