[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 or 3600x ??

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
what should I get?

3600x costs £50 (27%) more than the 3600 for extra 200mhz out of the box and higher TDP. Is the 3600x really worth the extra money of should I just get the 3600?

Does the higher TDP really matter other than more electricity costs?

Solution
Considering both are "unlocked" SKUs, I'd say to get the Ry3600 under one big assumption: it has the same cooling solution OR you're using your own aftermarket cooling one.

As for the performance out of the box, I think the TDP is just a reflection of the clocks behaviour under big loads, so it would have a lower all-core speed and less thermal headroom overall (assuming lesser binned part).

I'd love to read more reviews of those 2 in order to have a better understanding of them, but I haven't found many. What I've found though tells me they're really close to each other. Much like the Ry1600 was to the Ry1600X.

Cheers!
Considering both are "unlocked" SKUs, I'd say to get the Ry3600 under one big assumption: it has the same cooling solution OR you're using your own aftermarket cooling one.

As for the performance out of the box, I think the TDP is just a reflection of the clocks behaviour under big loads, so it would have a lower all-core speed and less thermal headroom overall (assuming lesser binned part).

I'd love to read more reviews of those 2 in order to have a better understanding of them, but I haven't found many. What I've found though tells me they're really close to each other. Much like the Ry1600 was to the Ry1600X.

Cheers!

Solution
what should I get?

3600x costs £50 (27%) more than the 3600 for extra 200mhz out of the box and higher TDP. Is the 3600x really worth the extra money of should I just get the 3600?

Does the higher TDP really matter other than more electricity costs?
So far reviewers are finding that all-core overclocking is not getting as good of performance as letting the CPU overclock itself while turning on PBO. That being the case, I like the 200mhz higher turbo speeds of the 3600X, and the higher TDP rating that means it should keep cores at turbo speeds for longer duration.

But whether that's worth the extra 50 is the question. I'm just not sure yet.

TDP means nothing if you overclock all cores manually.

We've still a lot more to learn about overclocking these CPU's.

I would always go X myself...higher boost clocks, no need to overclock...just let PBO and XRF do their thing, and slapping on a high quality AIO cooler will virtually guarantee the best experience while gaming or running apps. The other thing that pushes me to grab the X is power usage is much lower letting the CPU boost as needed then drop back to idle core clocks vs a 24/7 overclock on the non-X.

Reactions: CountMike
There's not "manual" overclock to be done. Unless I'm horribly mistaken, PBO works on both X and non-X CPUs, so the motherboard can apply it to both CPUs pushing them to their thermal and VRM limits.

If you're using the Noctua, then I'm inclined to say Ry3600.

Cheers!

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would always go X myself...higher boost clocks, no need to overclock...just let PBO and XRF do their thing, and slapping on a high quality AIO cooler will virtually guarantee the best experience while gaming or running apps. The other thing that pushes me to grab the X is power usage is much lower letting the CPU boost as needed then drop back to idle core clocks vs a 24/7 overclock on the non-X.
I don't know what OCing a 3600 will do yet BUT my 2600 OC'd to 4 GHz performs as well as and in most benchmarks even better than a stock 2600x.
I use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan so my CPU clocks down to 1.55 GHz on all cores until they are needed then they will boost up as high as 4 GHz as needed.
Hopefully the 3600 OC'd will give similar results.

Last edited: