[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 or Ryzen 3600X

Solution
I have 250$ now should i go with ryzen 3600 +50$ cooler or ryzen 3600X
You're in luck... Steve at GamersNexus answers the question far better than anyone else can....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDV7aA6arVo

If you've the right hardware you could all-core overclock either the 3600 or 3600X to 4.3G-ish and there's literally no difference in performance. Whether left fully stock or enabling PBO, and left to itself (also with the right hardware), you can get slightly better single core boosting on the 'X'...for ever so slightly better gaming benchmarks and mixed bag productivity.
D

Deleted member 14196

What are you going to use the PC for? I just read on this website that you can overclock 3600 through the BIOS and get very near the 3600 X performance

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I'd go for the 3600 and the cooler. Your multi-core performance will be better especially if you overclock to 4.2 all core. You won't get as much single core performance but your temps will be way better than the 3600x on the spire. I have both CPU's. The 3600x with a good cooler is the best option performance wise but I also don't think its really justified from a value perspective. You aren't really getting an extra $50 worth of performance. If it came with a wraith prism it wouldn't even be a contest though. Unfortunately it comes with a spire and they changed that from the older version. They put a higher speed fan on it and got rid of the copper core. So now the heat-sink is worse and the fan is louder.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I'd go for the 3600 and the cooler. Your multi-core performance will be better especially if you overclock to 4.2 all core. You won't get as much single core performance but your temps will be way better than the 3600x on the spire. I have both CPU's. The 3600x with a good cooler is the best option performance wise but I also don't think its really justified from a value perspective. You aren't really getting an extra $50 worth of performance. If it came with a wraith prism it wouldn't even be a contest though. Unfortunately it comes with a spire and they changed that from the older version. They put a higher speed fan on it and got rid of the copper core. So now the heat-sink is worse and the fan is louder.
So ryzen 3600x is basically ryzen 3600 oc to 4.4 ghz?

I have 250$ now should i go with ryzen 3600 +50$ cooler or ryzen 3600X
You're in luck... Steve at GamersNexus answers the question far better than anyone else can....

If you've the right hardware you could all-core overclock either the 3600 or 3600X to 4.3G-ish and there's literally no difference in performance. Whether left fully stock or enabling PBO, and left to itself (also with the right hardware), you can get slightly better single core boosting on the 'X'...for ever so slightly better gaming benchmarks and mixed bag productivity.

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

If you've the right hardware you could all-core overclock either the 3600 or 3600X to 4.3G-ish and there's literally no difference in performance. If you enable PBO and leave it to itself (also with the right hardware) you can get slightly better single core boosting on the 'X'...for every so slightly better gaming benchmarks and mixed bag productivity.
Yeah. I had read somewhere or you could do this thanks for the post

Yeah. I had read somewhere or you could do this thanks for the post
Steve's giving this Ryzen launch a lot of great coverage. One point he kind of makes in the vid, though, is the 3600X purchase MIGHT be justified by being higher binned silicon. But he doesn't have enough samples to tell much by that.

If you watch his other video on overclocking Ry3k with LN2 (it's a stream, so kinda long) you can see just how scale-able Ry3k is with temperature.... really well all the way from normal operating temps all the way down to -90. So even though it works well enough on stock cooling, putting one on an AIO should result in better boosting behaviour. That suggests.... if it DOES benefit from higher binning... that MAYBE a 3600X could justify the $50 by holding really high clocks (4.4-4.5 maybe, with PBO) on a 360mm AIO or custom loop.

But that's a maybe needing an intrepid adventurer to test and then post a YouTube to watch!