Aug 25, 2022
I am building a computer for my gf. We started with a MSI240r v2 . instantly after installing the mobo hit me with an over heat message. I re applied thermal paste, plugged it into cpu fan as well as pump fan header . We now have a Corsair H100i Elite now, and the same issue persist . I got into windows after it had been off for 20 min and it was already at 100 c I immediately turned it off. I also tried to update the bios . I am unsure what the issue is with the temps . Do you guys think it could be a mobo issue . Both the CPU fan header and pump fan header gives power to normal fans . I feel its a sensor issue .
I have a MSI B550 Gaming Plus Motherboard

Also I dont think it makes much of a difference but I used tm30 thermal paste, But for it to detect over head within 10 seconds seems kind of sus.

Appreciate any insight as to what might be causing it.

It could be the cooling plate is not flush against the cpu. One way to tell is to clean cooling plate and cpu of all thermal paste. Then apply a pea size drop of thermal paste in center of cpu. Then secure the cooling plate in place. After it is fully in place, remove the cooling plate and see if the thermal paste was spread evenly on cpu and cooling plate. If not, then you do not have good contact. The other problem may be that you have an air bubble in the radiator and the fluid is not circulating. Where is your radiator being placed in the case in relation to the cpu?

Other things to look at: careful and correct installation of the socket adapters. Some adapters use a spacer to match the adapter to the board, make sure you used the one for an AM4 motherboard as it's a slightly different thickness. Then evenly tighten all fasteners, and make sure they are tight.

Remove any plastic protective sheet on the water block. May be rather obvious, but many people do forget that little detail.

And lastly: wherever you're attaching the pump connection, make sure it's powered up at full speed. Some motherboard CPU fan headers are at low settings at startup for a fan to be quiet. Go into BIOS and set the voltage to +12V constantly to the pump.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Aug 25, 2022
I am almost confident it is the mobo I tired the corsair in my computer and idle temps were at 28c. The other comp sat around 90 :(. I tried various paste methods. They had close results. i have not had a chance to get in the bios long enough to change it though