[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 RAM questions/suggestions

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hi,

I'm planning on getting a 3600 to replace my ageing 2500k, but I'm not sure about what memory to get. I mostly use my PC for gaming. Here are the options that I'm looking at (feel free to suggest more):

16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB with CL15 @ 3000 MHz for £84. It just went down by £10 a few hours ago.

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX with CL15 @ 3000 MHz for £72.

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX with CL16 @ 3200 MHz for £78.

I know that speed RAM is very important for Ryzen. However, the B-die sets that I've found are almost twice as expensive as the ones that I've listed (and would presumably need a better motherboard to make the most of), so I'm not convinced that they would be worth it. Would you spend more, or are these adequate? I feel like, if I spend more, I might as well double my RAM capacity, or even upgrade to a 3700x (it would only cover half the difference, but still...).

Would there be a visible difference in performance between any of these at stock settings?

Would the CL15 3000 MHz sets overclock the same as the CL16 3200 MHz one?

Is there a quality difference between G.Skill and Corsair?

I have to admit that the G.Skill set looks better. However, I have a Noctua NH-D15 cooler, so the RAM could easily be not be visible from the side panel of my case (Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass), making it a moot point.

The MSI Pro Carbon B450 seems to be a good board, for the price, so I will get it. I'm not sure how well it does with memory overclocking though. I'm not looking for anything extreme and know that the max clock is 3466 MHz. I wouldn't mind getting the most out of the RAM, if it's easy if possible (I've never overclocked memory, only my 2500k and a 2700). While I'm here, do you have any better suggestions for the motherboard?

I live in Ireland, but normally order from the UK, because prices tend to be lower there. I prefer Amazon.co.uk, because of their return policy. However, I plan to order the CPU and motherboard form OCUK, because Amazon is out of stock.

Solution
Those Trident Z sticks are much better quality than those Vengeance sticks.

I have (And have used on other builds) those exact sticks in the non-RGB model, and they are easily the better choice.

You don't need B-die sticks for Ryzen anymore, and haven't for a while. Yes, B die sticks are the highest quality, but BIOS updates have mostly eliminated the need for them and SUPPOSEDLY they are not needed AT ALL for Ryzen 3000 in order to achieve 3600mhz which tells you a lot right there.

The Pro Carbon is a decent board. I wouldn't go with anything lower tiered than that from MSI.

I haven not seen any problems on the Pro Carbon boards like I have on the Tomahawk and Mortar.

I think if you wanted you could probably run higher speed...

santinicouleau

Commendable
Nov 16, 2018
Go for the Vengeance LPX 3200mhz. It's pretty popular because i have met other people who also want to buy or already bought this memory and never complaint. You can OC fine. I also never read any negative review about it

Those Trident Z sticks are much better quality than those Vengeance sticks.

I have (And have used on other builds) those exact sticks in the non-RGB model, and they are easily the better choice.

You don't need B-die sticks for Ryzen anymore, and haven't for a while. Yes, B die sticks are the highest quality, but BIOS updates have mostly eliminated the need for them and SUPPOSEDLY they are not needed AT ALL for Ryzen 3000 in order to achieve 3600mhz which tells you a lot right there.

The Pro Carbon is a decent board. I wouldn't go with anything lower tiered than that from MSI.

I haven not seen any problems on the Pro Carbon boards like I have on the Tomahawk and Mortar.

I think if you wanted you could probably run higher speed sticks than those, but it may be down to what's available for the price in your region. Those Trident Z sticks are a good choice and are a higher quality memory module than anything Corsair has to offer except in their Dominator series.

Reactions: Arzhur
Solution

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for both of your replies.

I have Corsair Vengeance memory in my old desktop and the glue of the heatsink on one of the sticks got undone quite a few years ago, but that could have just been bad luck. Apart from that slight annoyance, it hasn't given me any problems in the past 8 years though.

It looks like I'll be going with the G.Skill memory, as it sounds better. It's not on the QVL of the motherboard, but I assume that it should still work. I suppose that I could just send it back if it doesn't.

Out of curiosity, what problems do the Tomahawk and Mortar have? Is it reliability?

This really isn't related to memory anymore, but I've heard of people having issues flashing their motherboard BIOS. I could borrow a 2700 from my office and put it in the board, while flashing the BIOS. Would this be more reliable than using doing it without a CPU?

The Vengeance modules aren't "bad", they are just not the same level of quality and don't use the same quality of IC's as the Trident Z sticks do in most cases. There are a few lower quality (Than some others in the series) Trident Z sticks, but those you've listed are not among them.

The F4-3000C15D-16GTZ and various models based off that configuration whether RGB or non-RGB are quality sticks. Obviously they are not top shelf sticks with Samsung B-die ICs, or they'd be CL14 (CAS 14) sticks, but they are still very good sticks, generally one step down from B-die sticks.

TRENDING THREADS