[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 RAM Timing not working with Ryzen 5600X ?

Jul 25, 2021
I tightened my timing on my 4400 MHz Samsung B-die RAM and got it running smoothly at 16CL, 3800 MHz (1900 fclk) on my previous Ryzen 3600 CPU. I just upgraded to a Ryzen 5600x and cannot get the same timings to post.

I find it odd that the 5600x is not able to run the same RAM timings as what I got with the 3600. Any ideas? I had the voltage set to 1.45V, with the 3600 CPU, and increased it to 1.5V hoping that it would make a difference, but no dice. Still won't post. I'm really not looking forward to spending days fine-tunning the RAM timing all over again...

Last edited:
Solution
I tightened my timing on my 4400 MHz Samsung B-die RAM and got it running smoothly at 16CL, 3800 MHz (1900 fclk) on my previous Ryzen 3600 CPU. I just upgraded to a Ryzen 5600x and cannot get the same timings to post.

I find it odd that the 5600x is not able to run the same RAM timings as what I got with the 3600. Any ideas? I had the voltage set to 1.45V, with the 3600 CPU, and increased it to 1.5V hoping that it would make a difference, but no dice. Still won't post. I'm really not looking forward to spending days fine-tunning the RAM timing all over again...

Sorry but different CPU's have different IMC and it too is subject to the Silicon Lottery.
Both the 3600 and 5600x are rated for 3200Mhz RAM so you were extremely lucky...

Sorry but different CPU's have different IMC and it too is subject to the Silicon Lottery.
Both the 3600 and 5600x are rated for 3200Mhz RAM so you were extremely lucky to get a 4400Mhz kit to even run at 3800Mhz.

The problem with getting more higher frequency than rated is the added voltage which generates heat and that effects Longevity. When you try to RMA failed effected modules they can tell if you have Overvolted your RAM. Overvolting is never good so buying a kit at such higher frequency than the CPU supports is both expensive and does not always produce better performance. It is better to get a kit at the officially supported frequency and with an Overclocking profile and tight timings than higher frequency but looser timings.

It is always the IMC on the chip that determines what frequency you will achieve and with OC RAM there is no guarantee you will achieve the rated frequency so manual tuning is necessary.

Solution

Get the latest bios and chipset driver see if it makes a diff.
If you can get the ram to 3600 leave it alone there is not much to be gained going above that except for bragging rights.

Jul 25, 2021
Get the latest bios and chipset driver see if it makes a diff.
If you can get the ram to 3600 leave it alone there is not much to be gained going above that except for bragging rights.
I just installed the latest mobo bios. What do you mean by chipset drivers?

For the life of me, I cannot get 1900 FCLK to work on the 5600x, no matter the timings!!

I was able to get 3733 MHz (1866 fclk) at CL14 to work. I guess I'll have to settle for that for now.

For the life of me, I cannot get 1900 FCLK to work on the 5600x, no matter the timings!!

I was able to get 3733 MHz (1866 fclk) at CL14 to work. I guess I'll have to settle for that for now.
True latency for 4400mhz cl16 = 7.27
True latency for 3733mhz cl14 = 7.50

You wont be missing much there...
https://notkyon.moe/ram-latency.htm (True Latency Calculator)

Chipset drivers.
Look on the mobo site in the drivers section.
See what it shows for chipset and compare to what you have.

Jul 25, 2021
Both the 3600 and 5600x are rated for 3200Mhz RAM so you were extremely lucky to get a 4400Mhz kit to even run at 3800Mhz.

The problem with getting more higher frequency than rated is the added voltage which generates heat and that effects Longevity. When you try to RMA failed effected modules they can tell if you have Overvolted your RAM. Overvolting is never good so buying a kit at such higher frequency than the CPU supports is both expensive and does not always produce better performance. It is better to get a kit at the officially supported frequency and with an Overclocking profile and tight timings than higher frequency but looser timings.

It is always the IMC on the chip that determines what frequency you will achieve and with OC RAM there is no guarantee you will achieve the rated frequency so manual tuning is necessary.
Thanks for the info. I learned that the hard way after hours of tunning the timings on the 5600x for nothing. I ended installed back my 3600 cpu because I was actually getting worse game performance with the 5600x. Nuts.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Thanks for the info. I learned that the hard way after hours of tunning the timings on the 5600x for nothing. I ended installed back my 3600 cpu because I was actually getting worse game performance with the 5600x. Nuts.
I for one would love to know which game is that sensitive to memory bandwidth and timing, where Ryzen 3600 with 3800MHz 16CL could produce a noticeable improvement over Ryzen 5600X with 3733MHz 14CL, especially as the latter has more than 98% of the bandwidth, and actually less latency.

Something else is probably going on, with your cooling or power.

Jul 25, 2021
I for one would love to know which game is that sensitive to memory bandwidth and timing, where Ryzen 3600 with 3800MHz 16CL could produce a noticeable improvement over Ryzen 5600X with 3733MHz 14CL, especially as the latter has more than 98% of the bandwidth, and actually less latency.

Something else is probably going on, with your cooling or power.
I don't think it was the memory timing that made a difference. The 5600x chip that I had performed poorly in game compared to my 3600 chip (with an rtx 3080). The game I tested it on was RDR2 at 1080p with 1.5x resolution scaling, and maxed settings. I'm getting over a 5 fps increase.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I don't think it was the memory timing that made a difference. The 5600x chip that I had performed poorly in game compared to my 3600 chip (with an rtx 3080). The game I tested it on was RDR2 at 1080p with 1.5x resolution scaling, and maxed settings. I'm getting over a 5 fps increase.
That would be strange, as most sources seem to agree with a small improvement over 3600, for 5600X.

Which pointed towards a good possibility of some other performance-limiting factors, like thermal or power limits preventing either the CPU or GPU from reaching comparable boost frequency, or some other configuration, like PCIe lane width, unintentionally changed between the upgrade, or the game itself not optimized - or intentionally de-optimized a la Mathworks - for newer generation AMD processors, or maybe even the CPU itself binned to be only capable of a much lower multi-core boost frequency compared to your old 3600.

Might worth checking out, if you intend to keep the 5600X.