[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 soft crashes

Nov 14, 2019
I recently upgraded to a ryzen 3600, its about 3 days old so shouldn't have any problems with it but before I get a replacement I thought Id ask here for a solution, maybe its not a hardware problem etc.

The problem is I'll be playing For Honor and the audio will entirely cut out (it'll be system wide), then maybe a minute later the game will freeze and I'll have to end the process to close it. The system is still somewhat responsive at this point however youtube videos will not load, most processes will be at 0% cpu usage and no new applications will load. A restart will not fix this oddly, I have to actually shut down the pc, and it takes a long time to do it without holding the power button.

Like I said this is basically a new build, the only thing coming from my old setup is the gpu and the case but this is definitely a new issue, the old setup was slower but had no problems.
My USB dac also had huge problems being picked up at first, not sure if it was because of windows not being activated at the time (it is now, and as soon as it was the problem went away hmmm) but if that's a warning of something then I thought I'd include it. It now functions as it should, though. It's a fiio e10k usb dac, just in case theres driver incompatibilities?

The only known issue(?) with my rig is that on the mobo I dont have a 4pin cpu cable plugged into the 8+4 pin cpu sockets, just one cable on the 8. I looked around and although pretty ambiguous on what config I should have it in, the general consensus was that I didnt need it.

setup is
ryzen 3600
asrock taichi x570
rtx 2080
corsair 3600mhz vengeance pro
corsair rmx 650watt
Nothing overclocked, just xmp applied on the ram.

Ive never seen a problem like this, Im basically at a loss at what to do apart from get replacement parts and hope this doesn't show up again, maybe there's a solution that someone more experienced with amd cpus has seen but I don't have the first clue. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Solution
How much ram, and in what configuration?

Monitor your system with HWMon/Info, and look at your CPU temps. See where they are at.

If you only have 8gbs of ram, that could cause soft crashes like that, as once the ram fills up, it can crash in game and cause issues like that. Normally though, not having enough ram, results in slow downs and FPS drops in game, as the system writes to your swap/page virtual mem once the ram fills up. Soft crashes don't always occur because of it though.

It's worth testing your ram outside of windows, with memtest86+. Run it for 4 passes and make sure ram is stable.

Make sure all system drivers are up to date, along with ensuring you have the most recent bios for your mobo, and have done a CMOS clear...

Monitor your system with HWMon/Info, and look at your CPU temps. See where they are at.

If you only have 8gbs of ram, that could cause soft crashes like that, as once the ram fills up, it can crash in game and cause issues like that. Normally though, not having enough ram, results in slow downs and FPS drops in game, as the system writes to your swap/page virtual mem once the ram fills up. Soft crashes don't always occur because of it though.

It's worth testing your ram outside of windows, with memtest86+. Run it for 4 passes and make sure ram is stable.

Make sure all system drivers are up to date, along with ensuring you have the most recent bios for your mobo, and have done a CMOS clear after the bios update.

Solution
Nov 14, 2019
Ah, my bad. I have 16gb of it so I didnt really think there'd be a problem there, the system recognises it and its installed like the mobo manual says in slots A2 and B2
hwmon says idle is about 30, about 60 for when the game is running so not anywhere close to dangerous (using a kraken x52)

I will try memtest later on and to update my bios

Nov 14, 2019

Make sure all system drivers are up to date, along with ensuring you have the most recent bios for your mobo, and have done a CMOS clear after the bios update.

I ran memtest with no errors over the 4 passes, and the bios update seems to have fixed the problem, thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 14, 2019
ok so a small update, apparently if I don't restart or shut down after the sound dies it will crash/restart on it's own, I don't know if it throws up an error or anything as I was taking a leak at the time.