Question Ryzen 3600 temps high

Apr 8, 2019
Hello!

My setup:
  • gtx 1070
  • ryzen 3600
  • mb asus prime b 350 m-a, bios latest update 1.7.2019
I upgraded my cpu from 1700x to 3600. I downloaded new Bios from Asus and everything turned on fine. Problem is that ryzen master shows that my temps are under heavy load (prime 95) 84.5 C and the clockspeed is only 4 ghz. Im using Corsair watercooler, new thermal paste. Hwinfo shows also the same temperature, but there is also another temp which looks correct and is about -20 C less (temp is listed on motherboard section). Have to meant that in HWinfo64, cpu Tctl and Tdie are on same line and have same values. With 1700x they were two different values and Tctl was +20 C more than Tdie. Ryzen Master used Tdie value also. I never got my 1700x with 3.95 ghz over 75 C under stress tests. Msi Afterburner dont show CPU temp anymore at all. How i can see the right temp value (Tdie) again and get that precision boost over 4 ghz?

Reactions: SuperRichio
Apr 8, 2019
i think this is because of the motherboard. i would suggest get a new x470 and update the bios or get x570.
I think also. Maybe in near future there is coming update. At least in gaming, all cores are 4125-4200 mhz, so i´m not gonna upgrade my mobo yet. That is a serious bug in Asus Bios. Luckily I have watercooler so it wont shut it down and real life "bechmarks" aka gaming doesnt get hurt by that false temp information.

Jul 10, 2019
Hello!

My setup:
  • gtx 1070
  • ryzen 3600
  • mb asus prime b 350 m-a, bios latest update 1.7.2019
I upgraded my cpu from 1700x to 3600. I downloaded new Bios from Asus and everything turned on fine. Problem is that ryzen master shows that my temps are under heavy load (prime 95) 84.5 C and the clockspeed is only 4 ghz. Im using Corsair watercooler, new thermal paste. Hwinfo shows also the same temperature, but there is also another temp which looks correct and is about -20 C less (temp is listed on motherboard section). Have to meant that in HWinfo64, cpu Tctl and Tdie are on same line and have same values. With 1700x they were two different values and Tctl was +20 C more than Tdie. Ryzen Master used Tdie value also. I never got my 1700x with 3.95 ghz over 75 C under stress tests. Msi Afterburner dont show CPU temp anymore at all. How i can see the right temp value (Tdie) again and get that precision boost over 4 ghz?

Yeah this isn't just you buddy!

Yesterday I upgraded from R5 1600 to R5 3600 and I'm having exactly the same problems as you. Idle temps 40-50 or even higher, full load shooting up to 80 really quite quickly. Temps are being reported in ryzen master and hardware info whilst cpu temp fields have vanished completely from hwmonitor 1.40. The chip was even sitting in the high 40's in the bios!

This can't be a coincidence and please nobody tell us how to apply thermal paste or fit a cooler, I tried with both the stock wraith stealth and a wraith prism rgb with little/no change.

To be sure I've now reverted back to my R5 1600 and everything is back to normal.

My Specs as of yesterday were
Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS ROG Strix B350-f gaming mobo bios 5008
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200mhz
ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8G
Samsung 970evo M. 2 ssd
2tb Seagate HDD
Corsair RM650x PSU

Right now I'm not sure whether to return the R5 3600 or wait for another bios update as this certainly appears to be a bios issue.

I also tried disabling precision boost overdrive in the bios which seemed to do nothing...

Anyway, I'm happy to compare notes if needed, I just saw your post whilst scouring forums and thought you should know you're not alone with this!

Last edited:

Gedikpasha

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019

Yesterday I upgraded from R5 1600 to R5 3600 and I'm having exactly the same problems as you. Idle temps 40-50 or even higher, full load shooting up to 80 really quite quickly. Temps are being reported in ryzen master and hardware info whilst cpu temp fields have vanished completely from hwmonitor 1.40. The chip was even sitting in the high 40's in the bios!

This can't be a coincidence and please nobody tell us how to apply thermal paste or fit a cooler, I tried with both the stock wraith stealth and a wraith prism rgb with little/no change.

To be sure I've now reverted back to my R5 1600 and everything is back to normal.

Ryzen 5 3600
Samsung 970evo M. 2 ssd
2tb Seagate HDD
Corsair RM650x PSU

Right now I'm not sure whether to return the R5 3600 or wait for another bios update as this certainly appears to be a bios issue.

I also tried disabling precision boost overdrive in the bios which seemed to do nothing...

Anyway, I'm happy to compare notes if needed, I just saw your post whilst scouting forums and thought you should know you're not alone with this!
So, did you get a noticable performance ? Can you share your opinion about the performance

Jul 10, 2019
So, did you get a noticable performance ? Can you share your opinion about the performance
Yeah, the expected performance boost was there, quite big gains in benchmarks like firestrike and timespy. I didn't do much actual gaming due to the crazy thermal behaviour... It was also regularly boosting to the full 4.2ghz. The chip is no doubt a beast but these bios issues are really annoying at the moment and I'd advise anyone with an older board... Even those with an Asus x470 (as I've seen posts on other forums reporting problems with those too) for that matter to wait until another bios release rolls out and/or wait until you can confirm stability on similar setups to your own.

Apr 8, 2019

Ryzen 5 3600
Samsung 970evo M. 2 ssd
2tb Seagate HDD
Corsair RM650x PSU

Anyway, I'm happy to compare notes if needed, I just saw your post whilst scouring forums and thought you should know you're not alone with this!
Nice or should I say bad to know, that I´m not alone with this issue. I can see in Hwinfo the real CPU temp in the section of motherboard, and also Cpu Fans arent pushing to their limits, which indicates that CPU is actually colder than what Ryzen Master tolds. Lets hope that we get new Bios update soon.

Jul 10, 2019
Nice or should I say bad to know, that I´m not alone with this issue. I can see in Hwinfo the real CPU temp in the section of motherboard, and also Cpu Fans arent pushing to their limits, which indicates that CPU is actually colder than what Ryzen Master tolds. Lets hope that we get new Bios update soon.
Yeah I thought the actual temp was most likely being shown as one of the 'tempin...whatever " values, cpu fan was definitely faster than it shouldve been but my case fans wearnt exactly blowing a gale. Really frustrated to see the 3600 sat on top of my tower rather than in it, I might contact asus though I'd be surprised if they did anything more than refer us to their forum 🙄

Reactions: ojiz1
Apr 8, 2019
Yeah I thought the actual temp was most likely being shown as one of the 'tempin...whatever " values, cpu fan was definitely faster than it shouldve been but my case fans wearnt exactly blowing a gale. Really frustrated to see the 3600 sat on top of my tower rather than in it, I might contact asus though I'd be surprised if they did anything more than refer us to their forum 🙄
I hope they will update soon, or I never buy another asus product again..

Jul 10, 2019
I hope they will update soon, or I never buy another asus product again..
Hopefully it won't come to that.
I've made progress with mine, not sure how but I'm now idling at around 36/37c maxed out after running a few short tests at 54c using my wraith spire rgb cooler. Already a massive improvement but I haven't applied the docp/xmp profile to my memory yet, so that's running at 2666mhz (I'll be applying the xmp profile shortly.

Literally all I did was carry out the upgrade again from scratch with my original R5 1600 in place and ryzen master uninstalled.

So I restarted the pc
Accessed the bios and selected 'load optimised defaults' saved & restarted.
Shut down, out with the old chip... In with the new, spire on etc.
Booted up and accessed the bios when prompted, changed nothing in the bios then saved and restarted into Windows.
After windows started I restarted again and almost immediately noticed better thermals in Hwinfo. Hwmonitor still doesn't display CPU temp though (maybe a pending update will sort that 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to apply the xmp profile and do de more testing tonight. I'll let you know if I find anything useful, I'm not sure what improved my situation but there's hope!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019
Hopefully it won't come to that.
I've made progress with mine, not sure how but I'm now idling at around 36/37c maxed out after running a few short tests at 54c using my wraith spire rgb cooler. Already a massive improvement but I haven't applied the doco/xmp profile to my memory yet, so that's running at 2666mhz (I'll be applying the xmp profile shortly.

Literally all I did was carry out the upgrade again from scratch with my original R5 1600 in place and ryzen master uninstalled.

So I restarted the pc
Accessed the bios and selected 'load optimised defaults' saved & restarted.
Shut down, out with the old chip... In with the new, spire on etc.
Booted up and accessed the bios when prompted, changed nothing in the bios then saved and restarted into Windows.
After windows started I restarted again and almost immediately noticed better thermals in Hwinfo. Hwmonitor still doesn't display CPU temp though (maybe a pending update will sort that 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to apply the xmp profile and do de more testing tonight. I'll let you know if I find anything useful, I'm not sure what improved my situation but there's hope!
Enabling the XMP profile has definitely caused higher temps at idle, lowest temp 39.3 but jumps up into high 40s regularly, maxed at 61c just at startup...though stress testing on cpu-z saw it max out at 78.5... MUCH better than before.... 🤔

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019
Enabling the XMP profile has definitely caused higher temps at idle, lowest temp 39.3 but jumps up into high 40s regularly, maxed at 61c just at startup...though stress testing on cpu-z saw it max out at 78.5... MUCH better than before.... 🤔
These numbers have carried through into gaming tests too, at least what few tests I've had time for. So yes, enabling the xmp profile on my Corsair LPX DDR4 3200 @ 1.350v adds some heat as expected but overall thermals are much better. Still higher than those tested in reviews for some reason but... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019

Ryzen 5 3600
Samsung 970evo M. 2 ssd
2tb Seagate HDD
Corsair RM650x PSU

Hey quick question when you upgraded did you uninstall all your drivers for your old cpu and then downloaded the new ones? Or did you just download the new ones? I’m kinda new to pc gaming so i have no idea lol

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Hey quick question when you upgraded did you uninstall all your drivers for your old cpu and then downloaded the new ones? Or did you just download the new ones? I’m kinda new to pc gaming so i have no idea lol
Yea because the Motherboard Makers only released BETA Bios for some olders Motherboards...This indicates they maybe some instability issues as this is BETA only. Senosrs maybe messed up.

Jul 10, 2019
No problem, sorry for the late reply.
With my old cpu in place (ryzen 5 1600) I made sure I had the latest bios and chipset drivers, all of that can be found on your motherboard/manufacturers support page. The issues you're seeing on this thread are popping up more often as more people upgrade it seems so keep up to date on your motherboard manufacturers support pages/forums so you can try and avoid any of these problems due to a dodgy bios etc 👍

Reactions: Eddie-2014
Jul 10, 2019
Double and triple check default voltages in BIOS.

Just watched a Jays2Cents vid and his experiences with an early Asus BIOS and voltages were quite high. VCore, VSoC and even DRAM voltages.
Good shout, that video was quite eye opening though my voltages seem to be generally OK, I'll take a more detailed look tomorrow. Crazy that asus would put out boards/bios like those in Jay's video.

Rawrduy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I have the same exact issues running at Strix 450B-F. Idle temps are hovering around 45 - 55C, with max load at around 70 - 75C. Hoping a BIOS update will come out soon to address it?

Should I also be concerned my CPU is running consistently at 1.431V?

Jul 10, 2019
I have the same exact issues running at Strix 450B-F. Idle temps are hovering around 45 - 55C, with max load at around 70 - 75C. Hoping a BIOS update will come out soon to address it?

Should I also be concerned my CPU is running consistently at 1.431V?
As the OP has said, happy but not happy to see others having similar issues. Sorry to hear this.

Mine has definitely improved since redoing the whole upgrade process again though still not as cool as reviews reported with the stock cooler and I'm using a wraith spire RGB 🤷‍♂️

A lot of Asus users seem to be waiting/hoping for a bios update. As for your voltage is it running at that all the time or just when the cpu boosts above 4ghz?

Jul 6, 2019
Asus board Eddie? Could you post your full system spec and bios version?
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
T force delta rgb 16gb @ 3200
Ryzen 5 3600
And sapphire vega 56

The bios for my board is in beta. The only weird thing is before I upgraded cpu-z read i had the beta version now it reads i have the previous version of the bios. I can tell thats wrong because the uefi changes once in beta.