Question Ryzen 3600 temps high

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 8, 2019
Hello!

My setup:
  • gtx 1070
  • ryzen 3600
  • mb asus prime b 350 m-a, bios latest update 1.7.2019
I upgraded my cpu from 1700x to 3600. I downloaded new Bios from Asus and everything turned on fine. Problem is that ryzen master shows that my temps are under heavy load (prime 95) 84.5 C and the clockspeed is only 4 ghz. Im using Corsair watercooler, new thermal paste. Hwinfo shows also the same temperature, but there is also another temp which looks correct and is about -20 C less (temp is listed on motherboard section). Have to meant that in HWinfo64, cpu Tctl and Tdie are on same line and have same values. With 1700x they were two different values and Tctl was +20 C more than Tdie. Ryzen Master used Tdie value also. I never got my 1700x with 3.95 ghz over 75 C under stress tests. Msi Afterburner dont show CPU temp anymore at all. How i can see the right temp value (Tdie) again and get that precision boost over 4 ghz?

Reactions: SuperRichio
Jul 10, 2019
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
T force delta rgb 16gb @ 3200
Ryzen 5 3600
And sapphire vega 56

The bios for my board is in beta. The only weird thing is before I upgraded cpu-z read i had the beta version now it reads i have the previous version of the bios. I can tell thats wrong because the uefi changes once in beta.

Thanks Eddie, so this isn't restricted to Asus boards but seems linked to b350/450 and maybe x370 boards using a beta bios?

I found a thread over on reddit which shed some light on voltage readings (pay extra attention to posts by 'amd_robert') View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbbfce/3900x_being_overvolted_on_amd_ryzen_power_plans/etefuer/?context=3

I guess we'll see a new Bios revision soon which will hopefully bring some improvements.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019
New update my pc now randomly restarts. I get a black screen and it then boots up and in the notifications center i just get a message about radeon wattman settings restored due to an unexpected system failure.

Jul 10, 2019
New update my pc now randomly restarts. I get a black screen and it then boots up and in the notifications center i just get a message about radeon wattman settings restored due to an unexpected system failure.
I feel bad for complaining about higher temps now...

I'm totally unfamiliar with radeon I'm afraid but I'd check that your AMD chipset drivers are up to date and if possible try a clean removal/reinstall of your graphics driver. You may also be able to see exactly how the system crashed by using the windows events log. Maybe someone more familiar with Radeon can shed more light here?

At first boot some of my nvidia software was acting weird, a restart sorted it and it never recurred. I hope your luck turns too 👍

Reactions: Eddie-2014
Jul 6, 2019
I feel bad for complaining about higher temps now...

I'm totally unfamiliar with radeon I'm afraid but I'd check that your AMD chipset drivers are up to date and if possible try a clean removal/reinstall of your graphics driver. You may also be able to see exactly how the system crashed by using the windows events log. Maybe someone more familiar with Radeon can shed more light here?

At first boot some of my nvidia software was acting weird, a restart sorted it and it never recurred. I hope your luck turns too 👍
Hey man thanks for all the feedback and for actually replying you know how hard it is for someone to reply back haha

But i made sure my amd chipset was up to date before i upgraded and i will remove the graphics driver when i get home from work.

Jul 10, 2019
Hey man thanks for all the feedback and for actually replying you know how hard it is for someone to reply back haha

But i made sure my amd chipset was up to date before i upgraded and i will remove the graphics driver when i get home from work.
No problem, I hope you can get this sorted. Another thing you could try is reset any ram over clock timings if you have any or disable any xmp profile. Some people seem to have had issues with ram since the upgrade too.

Rawrduy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Very interesting read about the core voltages there. I didn't know about that.

I ordered a Hyper 212 to replace the stock cooler on my 3600. Should be here tomorrow - curious to see if there will be any improvement to thermals in that department.

Jul 10, 2019
Very interesting read about the core voltages there. I didn't know about that.

I ordered a Hyper 212 to replace the stock cooler on my 3600. Should be here tomorrow - curious to see if there will be any improvement to thermals in that department.
Should see some kind of improvement surely, although I am using a wraith spire rgb and temps aren't that great. Good luck, will you let us know how it works out?

Rawrduy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Should see some kind of improvement surely, although I am using a wraith spire rgb and temps aren't that great. Good luck, will you let us know how it works out?

I have seen a slight improvement. I haven't seen below 40C for extended periods until I installed the hyper 212. About what's expected from an aftermarket cooler. Hyper 212 is pretty cheap as is, so I'm satisfied with these temps.

Ambient: 26 C
NZXT H500 Case
2070 Super
16GB Ram @ 3200MHz
Background apps always running (Steam, Plex, etc)

3600 Stock Cooler (averages)
IDLE: 45 C
  • Idle around 44 C, with occasional jump to 50 C
General Browsing: 51 C
Prime95: 75 C (after 10 mins)
  • I did stress it another time, where it reached 95C. Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but noteworthy.
Hyper 212 (averages)
IDLE: 40 C
  • Idle around 38 C, with occasional jump to 45 C
General Browsing: 45 C
Prime95: 63 C (after 10 mins)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019
I have seen a slight improvement. I haven't seen below 40C for extended periods until I installed the hyper 212. About what's expected from an aftermarket cooler. Hyper 212 is pretty cheap as is, so I'm satisfied with these temps.

NZXT H500 Case
2070 Super
16GB Ram @ 3200MHz

• I did stress it another time, where it reached 95C. Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but noteworthy.
Hyper 212 (averages)
Great info, really useful to all I'm sure. Thanks for this. I'm actually seeing pretty much exactly the same performance from my Wraith Spire RGB so, it looks like we're good 👍

Jul 10, 2019
You guys just have to wait for Ryzen to provide BIOS update to make your Ryzen 3000 and motherboard (X570) stable. I think there also sensors issues.
I'm actually running the R5 3600 on a B350-f but yeah there does seem to be issues with the polling from monitoring software causing the processors to become a bit boost happy. They seem to be a bit trigger happy with boost anyway when dealing with mundane background tasks elevating temps in the process. I guess a bios and/or windows update, as well as updates to monitoring software should iron all this out 👍

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019
Happy Monday everyone, hope you all had a decent weekend.

Quick update....

Yesterday I decided to monitor my R5 3600 with the OSD of Asus GPU tweak 2 whilst playing shadow of the tomb raider on ultra/high setting.

As expected the cpu was boosting almost constantly at 4100-4200Mhz and after over an hour of playing SOTTR cpu temp maxed out at 53c... Actually cooler than my old R5 1600!

The weird reporting/temp behaviour whilst sitting at the desktop then must just be some kind of software quirk/bug to be ironed out. At least you can feel safe that if your cpu is anything like mine, it's certainly not going to throttle or melt through your desk any time soon.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019
Alright heres an update for me i just got the new bios and everything works fine only thing that concerns me is the temps are still high. I get 40-50 degrees on idle. But playing a game it goes up to 65 degrees so I’m planning on reseating the cpu cooler again maybe that will work? My cpu cooler is the wraith prism.

Also, voltage on idle it’s low but when i open stuff up it spikes and can go up to 1.4V is that normal?

Jul 10, 2019
Alright heres an update for me i just got the new bios and everything works fine only thing that concerns me is the temps are still high. I get 40-50 degrees on idle. But playing a game it goes up to 65 degrees so I’m planning on reseating the cpu cooler again maybe that will work? My cpu cooler is the wraith prism.

Also, voltage on idle it’s low but when i open stuff up it spikes and can go up to 1.4V is that normal?
Good that you're up and running!

As for all the other symptoms you're reporting? LOTS of people are seeing a lot of the same things... myself included.

The reddit thread posted earlier here from a guy at amd called amd_robert goes into great detail here.

Try just having ryzen master open. Close icue, afterburner, steam, origin, uplay, gpu tweak etc. Any/all of those programs and see if your voltage/temps level off 👍

Jul 10, 2019
Just another quick update. To be sure about temps while gaming I've run the F1 2019 Benchmark (Singapore, Ultra settings @ 75hz 1080p) on a loop for 40 minutes. Temps maxed out at the same level as when playing Shadow of the tomb raider...around 53/54c (a bit cooler than my original R5 1600). The weird temperature issues seem isolated to sitting at the desktop then. Either way it seems even more likely to be no big deal and something that software updates could well sort out in the coming months. I'd post screenshots of the monitoring data but it really is stable/predictable. During gaming the R5 3600 was boosting between 4100-4200Mhz with temps not going above 54c (y)

Jul 10, 2019
Hello again all,

Some further important info for Ryzen 3000 users...

A day or so ago the full release of the latest chipset driver from AMD was released, this driver addresses the destiny 2 hanging bug by implementing a 'workaround' until the next bios update clears testing with the various board vendors.

the driver Rev:1.07.29.0115 otherwise referred to as 19.10.22 for b350 can be found here;
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b350

Alternatively browse for whichever board you have here;
https://www.amd.com/en/support

I can confirm that destiny 2 works fine with this chipset driver. At least with my chipset/board however the new version of the ryzen balanced power plan included with the driver caused voltages stuck at 1.38 to 1.45 constantly with slightly elevated temps, clock speed stuck at over 3.9ghz even at idle and elevated fan RPM.

I have no idea why but AMD set the minimum processor state to 99% for the BALANCED power plan! Even the previous versions of the power plan didn't do that, at least for my board. Changing the minimum state to 0% brought everything back in line with idle temps of 37.5-39c and idle voltage of around 0.925v.

I ran timespy benchmarks with both the previous chipset driver and the new chipset driver with the ryzen balanced minimum processor state set to 0% and lost no performance at all. I also then played through various games while monitoring with gpu tweak 2 to confirm the cpu was indeed still boosting to 4.2ghz and maintaining temps as before. All is well.

Hopefully this will help anyone who runs into similar issues with the latest chipset driver.

Happy gaming all

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019
Update so 3600 that i bought was faulty and i ended up sending it back. Got a new one and so far so good no more random restarts and temps are from 35-40 degrees with .8v in idle.

Now i am happy with my pc 😁

Aug 4, 2019

NZXT H500 Case
2070 Super
16GB Ram @ 3200MHz

Hyper 212 (averages)
Happy Monday everyone, hope you all had a decent weekend.

Quick update....

Yesterday I decided to monitor my R5 3600 with the OSD of Asus GPU tweak 2 whilst playing shadow of the tomb raider on ultra/high setting.

As expected the cpu was boosting almost constantly at 4100-4200Mhz and after over an hour of playing SOTTR cpu temp maxed out at 53c... Actually cooler than my old R5 1600!

The weird reporting/temp behaviour whilst sitting at the desktop then must just be some kind of software quirk/bug to be ironed out. At least you can feel safe that if your cpu is anything like mine, it's certainly not going to throttle or melt through your desk any time soon.

What software do you guys use to monitor tempatures? I am using HWM and Ryzen Master but I cant see an history log, just the past 1.5 minutes on the RMaster. I have a 3600 as well

Jul 10, 2019
What software do you guys use to monitor tempatures? I am using HWM and Ryzen Master but I cant see an history log, just the past 1.5 minutes on the RMaster. I have a 3600 as well

Hello,

I've been using Ryzen master to monitor temps while sitting at the desktop and GPU Tweak 2's OSD to keep an eye and clocks and temps while gaming. HWinfo64 seems to be pretty good but does result in the cores being polled & in turn 'woken up' more then when using Ryzen Master.

When I'm using GPU tweak to monitor in game I don't have any other monitoring tools running in the background so that those tools dont continuously poll the cpu cores and adversely effect the readings. Whilst doing this my max temps while gaming are around 51-52c even whilst playing demanding titles like shadow of the tomb raider.