[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 vs 5600x for my use case

pell380

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I am currently using i5 2500k+8gbram+asusp67 board+gtx970 ,using i5 2500k for last 10 years its time to upgrade

My use of pc is for casual gaming on 1080p any where between medium to high settings based on game to game and i also dont play on daily basis usually on weekends or late night 1 hour

I play online games like Dota 2 and Gta5 , But now i want to get in to new games like bafftlefiled , warzone , rdr2 etc (i am not looking for 1080p ultra 100+fps) just playable to enjoy like 1080p medium

now my cpu is 10 year old i am looking for cpu options which are 3600 vs 5600x

For my use case do i really to push my budget and go for 5600x ? or 3600 would be enough and should i go with b550 or b450 ?

I will not be upgrading soon as i use less so i spend less on pc , but yes i will be upgrading my GPU a year later if prices are normal right now gtx970 is holding enough for my usage

Solution
You are looking at not only a cpu change, but also a motherboard and ddr4 ram change.
With alder lake launching soon, I would defer decisions if I could.
If you must buy today, I would look at something like a I5-11400 processor.
Here is a review:

Most games will be graphics limited, even with your current i5-2500.
You could consider a graphics upgrade now.
Here is tom's gpu hierarchy chart:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better...

pell380

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
If you plan on keeping this new PC as long as your last one, I would go with the best you can afford and consider 8 cores/16 threads. Between those 2 I would pick the 5600x.

yes i dont upgrade very often , considering the use case 5600x would be a better choice i know but its worth extra spending as 3600 compare to my i5 2500k is also a big performance upgrade i can spend more but if its worth it

You are looking at not only a cpu change, but also a motherboard and ddr4 ram change.
With alder lake launching soon, I would defer decisions if I could.
If you must buy today, I would look at something like a I5-11400 processor.
Here is a review:

Most games will be graphics limited, even with your current i5-2500.
You could consider a graphics upgrade now.
Here is tom's gpu hierarchy chart:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

One other thing.
If your C drive is on a HDD, replace it with a SSD.
It will make everything quicker.
A SSD can easily be moved later to a new cpu build.

Solution