Question Ryzen 3600x Cinebench R20 Score

SierraArgo

Reputable
May 25, 2017
So I just got my hands on a Ryzen 3600x. it is scoring 3489 in Cinebench R20 with RAM clocked at 2933MHz. I know Ryzen likes RAM speed, and I am thinking about an upgrade somewhere down the road, but for what I have, does that Cinebench score seem reasonable?

Last edited:

SierraArgo

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Does dumping hundreds more on faster RAM to get a higher score seem worth it? Getting an extra 2 FPS worth that money?

I get it, I used to be obsessed with OCing and trying to get a higher number on some benchmark that made no sense. Now I just enjoy buying a PC and using it. lol.
This is very true, lol. Were I to buy new RAM it most likely wouldn't be for a good long while, and simply for my own nerdy enjoyment, less so because of any major gains.

Dumping 100s on ram? How much ram are you buying, lol. A decent 3200 16gb kit is under 100. And there's a good chance op could sell the current kit to help with that as well. Worth it? Well.....probably still no, but it's not exactly expensive.

A little googling shows most 3600/x cpus to be in the 35-3700 range. Then I saw this https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-r20-scores-updated-results/

Which gives no info on any other components used, just that a 3600x scored near enough 3900pts.

The jump from 2933 to 3200, or even 3600, may not be huge. But it might make your numbers look better. How it would affect real world performance, I'm unsure. I'd say if you have a few extra bucks, it cant hurt to try!

So I just got my hands on a Ryzen 3600x. it is scoring 3489 in Cinebench R20 with RAM clocked at 2933MHz. I know Ryzen likes RAM speed, and I am thinking about an upgrade somewhere down the road, but for what I have, does that Cinebench score seem reasonable?
Have you tried overclocking the RAM you have? Ryzen 3000 is really quite tolerant of it and if you've not done anything you might be able to get more out of what you have. Even if you don't want to run it overclocked you might at least be able to get some Cinebench runs to see how much faster RAM will...or won't...help BEFORE you make the investment.

You'll need to tweak timings, voltage and a few other things. There's a lot of knobs which makes it hard to know what to tweak but if you get it, the Ryzen DRAMCalculator helps with with that.

SierraArgo

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Have you tried overclocking the RAM you have? Ryzen 3000 is really quite tolerant of it and if you've not done anything you might be able to get more out of what you have. Even if you don't want to run it overclocked you might at least be able to get some Cinebench runs to see how much faster RAM will...or won't...help BEFORE you make the investment.

You'll need to tweak timings, voltage and a few other things. There's a lot of knobs which makes it hard to know what to tweak but if you get it, the Ryzen DRAMCalculator helps with with that.
I do actually have an OC on my RAM, and since writing I have actually turned it up from 2933 to 3000, which netted me some gains in Cinebench. Bearing in mind that my current RAM runs at a base of 2400 without an OC, I think it may be worthwhile to get faster RAM that perhaps I could push harder.

I do actually have an OC on my RAM, and since writing I have actually turned it up from 2933 to 3000, which netted me some gains in Cinebench. Bearing in mind that my current RAM runs at a base of 2400 without an OC, I think it may be worthwhile to get faster RAM that perhaps I could push harder.
No reason to stop at 3000...I'd certainly go for 3400 and higher if just to see what kind of Cinebench scores it would post. I have some 2666 memory (Hynix unknown die, it didn't report in Taifun) at 3433 in a B350 motherboard; the only reason I don't push it to 3600 is some Hynix RAM isn't as tolerant of voltage as Samsung B die and other Hynix RAM.

If you watch the Hardware Unboxed video, he's pushing some really sketch memory modules to pretty high clocks with very good results using the timings from DRAMCalculator. You could easily find it worth your time if it saves an unnecessary purchase.

But then...if the upgrade bug hits there's not much you can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
RAM is pretty cheap these days so if you like tuning it I say go for it. I grabbed a cheap 16 gb kit with samsung b-die IC's for $96 after tax to use with an R5 3600. I got it to run 3600 mhz 14-14-16-15-30 with reasonably tight subs without even messing with any voltages besides the RAM voltage. I just used the DRAM calculator and typed in the"safe" settings. Passed memtest86 no problem and has been totally stable ever since. I couldn't get the F clock stable above 1800 mhz so going beyond 3600 didn't make any sense for me.

Whatever you do keep the 1:1 ratio. Decoupling the memory clock and fabric clock has a huge latency penalty that can't be overcome until you get to like 5000 mhz on the RAM. I usually manually set fabric clock to half of my RAM speed just in case the auto setting is borked. I haven't heard of anybody getting F clock stable at more than 1900 so going beyond 3800 mhz on the memory doesn't make much sense in most situations. The F clock stability will dictate the speed. Since almost any 3000 CPU will do 1800 f clock stable it's usually best to just run at 3600 rather than pull your hair out trying to get 3800 stable. I'd give 3800 a try on safe timings but you will most likely find 3600 a lot easier to get stable.

The cheapest b die kits are usually from team or patriot with 4000+ mhz speeds. You'd think the 3200 cl14 kits would be cheaper but they usually are way more expensive.

The kit I bought isn't as cheap as when I grabbed it but its still not too expensive. Hunting for cheap B-die is kind of fun.