[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600X not boosting to max

Erkki Muhonen

Honorable
Jun 3, 2015
Hey all! first post here, glad to finally be here:D

Anyway, I have an issue with my Ryzen 3600X. If I set the XMP profile in my BIOS the CPU will no longer boost to 4,2. It rarely goes beyond 4.0.
My memory is
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 16GB KIT 3200Mhz

It boosts so much easier without XMP on. I've also tried adjusting power manually on the memory and set the "Xmp" manually to see if those settings work without "auto" enabling the XMP.

My motherboard is the Aorus X570 ultra v1.

Also tried changing power tables and power to balanced mode without any luck as well as reinstalling windows. Also tried adjusting things like infinity overclock and other similar things without any difference in performance.

it kind of sucks running the memory at 2100 mhz to make sure the cpu boosts optimally. takes away from the whole experience. I am running loads of tabs, so the decreased memory performance is annoying.

any tips/tricks/suggestions are welcomed:)

Solution

Anyway, I have an issue with my Ryzen 3600X. If I set the XMP profile in my BIOS the CPU will no longer boost to 4,2. It rarely goes beyond 4.0.
My memory is

It boosts so much easier without XMP on. I've also tried adjusting power manually on the memory and set the "Xmp" manually to see if those settings work without "auto" enabling the XMP.

Also tried changing power tables and power to balanced mode without any luck as well as reinstalling windows. Also tried adjusting things like infinity overclock and other similar things without any difference in performance.

it kind of sucks running the...

My memory is

it kind of sucks running the memory at 2100 mhz to make sure the cpu boosts optimally. takes away from the whole experience. I am running loads of tabs, so the decreased memory performance is annoying.

How have you set up BIOS?

First thing is to be sure to install the AMD chipset drivers and run the AMD Ryzen balanced power plan it installs without making changes.

Next is set up BIOS by ENABLING all the following settings: AMD Cool n Quiet, Advanced C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores. Also make sure both CPU clock and CPU Vcore is in AUTO.

Also trying setting PBO to manual may help it boost better...either the settings given by @EridanusSV for your board or some default settings that have proven to work OK for many: PPT 333, both TDC and EDC 230.

Solution

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

My memory is

Set core ratio to manual at 44, and voltage to 1.35. That should manually override it, and keep XMP on.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
How have you set up BIOS?

First thing is to be sure to install the AMD chipset drivers and run the AMD Ryzen balanced power plan it installs without making changes.

Next is set up BIOS by ENABLING all the following settings: AMD Cool n Quiet, Advanced C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores. Also make sure both CPU clock and CPU Vcore is in AUTO.

Also trying setting PBO to manual may help it boost better...either the settings given by @EridanusSV for your board or some default settings that have proven to work OK for many: PPT 333, both TDC and EDC 230.
I suggested 395, 255 and 230 because Ryzen Master's auto OC config actually gave me those numbers.

Those are just the max limit anyway, even on max load, it ONLY REACHES PPT 150, TDC 200, EDC 230 max // Scalar 2x.

70c ALL core at 4.4. Check my validation below.

And I am running it on Crosshair VIII, kryonaut, arctic freezer ii 360, 850W psu

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
For some people, CPU degradation is thing they have to worry about, which is understandable. But for someone like me, I'm in the point in my life where I don't have to worry about my PC failing on me. I already earned back my entire upgrade capital for the 3950X. And if I still don't have savings for the next 8 years before this chip dies... shame on me. My wife would probably divorce me.

So OC away, dont worry about degradation. Everything breaksdown. Even Toyota and Lexus'..but it does take a long long long time.

For some people, CPU degradation is thing they have to worry about, which is understandable. But for someone like me, I'm in the point in my life where I don't have to worry about my PC failing on me. I already earned back my entire upgrade capital for the 3950X. And if I still don't have savings for the next 8 years before this chip dies... shame on me. My wife would probably divorce me.

So OC away, dont worry about degradation. Everything breaksdown. Even Toyota and Lexus'..but it does take a long long long time.
Degradation of Zen2 processors isn't hypothetical. Enough serious overclockers have been experiencing it they already flat-out advise against it and themselves run PBO at most. It's even come to the point where moderators have shut down discussion when it leads novices into danger.

It may be that degrading your system into early instability is acceptable, and the cost for replacement when it does is trivial to you. But this is a public forum with a widely varying audience. Many (if not most) want to keep their system stable and performing well for a long time and simply don't have the means to replace processors because they followed bad advise handed out gratuitously and without qualification on public forums.

No, don't OC with fixed voltages above 1.2V unless you know precisely what you are doing and have run the battery of tests needed to determine just exactly what your processor's FIT parameters are. And in the end, once you've determined the safe overclock voltages also run a complete battery of benchmarks (that includes both heavily loaded/highly threaded and lightly loaded/lightly threaded workloads) to determine if you've actually helped...or hindered...performance.

Last edited:

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Degradation of Zen2 processors isn't hypothetical. Enough serious overclockers have been experiencing it they already flat-out advise against it and themselves run PBO at most. It's even come to the point where moderators have shut down discussion when it leads novices into danger.

It may be that degrading your system into early instability is acceptable, and the cost for replacement when it does is trivial to you. But this is a public forum with a widely varying audience. Many (if not most) want to keep their system stable and performing well for a long time and simply don't have the means to replace processors because they followed bad advise handed out gratuitously and without qualification on public forums.

No, don't OC with fixed voltages above 1.2V unless you know precisely what you are doing and have run the battery of tests needed to determine just exactly what your processor's FIT parameters are. And in the end, once you've determined the safe overclock voltages also run a complete battery of benchmarks (that includes both heavily loaded/highly threaded and lightly loaded/lightly threaded workloads) to determine if you've actually helped...or hindered...performance.

My guy we are troubleshooting. Nobody ever said it was permanent. If it works, we know why. Its up to the user to decide whether or not they want to keep it, but we don't need your input unless you are actually helping us solve this person's issue. Sure, it might damage it a little, but it's not going to kill the cpu or even hurt it if it runs at 1.35 for what say a day?