[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600x + RTX 2070 Super for 1440p

Jun 8, 2019
Hello,

I have a few questions.

B450 or X570? Can I OC using B450?

Which Mobo would you recommend?

Which RAM producer should I choose?

Do I need to buy a new cooling system for OC or the standard one is good enough?

Any other tips are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It won't make a huge difference, CL16 should be fine.

In theory the Tomahawk is a very good B450 option, but apparently there have been an unusual amount of people complaining of issues with it on these forums. Take that as you will.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "standard BeQuiet cooler". As I said above, I don't see why you wouldn't try out the stock cooler first. If you do want to get a different one, I'd typically recommend a good air cooler over a AIO liquid cooler.
B450 boards are all four phase power designs. X570 is ridiculous, botched (So far) and stupidly overpriced.

I'd recommend you look at mid tier or higher X470 boards that have BIOS flashback features so they can be BIOS updated to support the newer models. There are few B450 boards with BIOS flashback anyhow, in addition to having poor power delivery.

For memory, I'd stick to G.Skill or Corsair, unless you are willing to pay for a CL14 set of sticks and then you go go with any of the major brands like Team, Kingston, Mushkin, etc. Honestly, I rarely ever buy anything other than G.Skill or Corsair anymore unless it's a mom and pop type mainstream or business machine.

If you are going to overclock you absolutely want better cooling.

What can you afford to spend on this build and is there anything you DON'T need, such as a case or power supply? If so, please list them with exact model numbers.

Reactions: ffx2080ti

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2019
Hello,

Can you tell me exactly which type of mobo you recommend? I'm thinking about MSI B450 Tomahawk

As for the RAM, Cant I buy CL16? CL14 is 2 times more expensive... If it is really a "must have" for Ryzen then ok.

As for the cooling, standard BeQuiet cooler is ok? I am also thinking about Kraken X62, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

Is this setup ok for 1440p or should I buy RTX 2080 Super? I want both GPU and CPU to work at similar level.

There's also an option to replace RTX 2070 Super for a better card in the future, because I think the CPU will be still ok.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

In theory the Tomahawk is a very good B450 option, but apparently there have been an unusual amount of people complaining of issues with it on these forums. Take that as you will.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "standard BeQuiet cooler". As I said above, I don't see why you wouldn't try out the stock cooler first. If you do want to get a different one, I'd typically recommend a good air cooler over a AIO liquid cooler.

Solution
Jun 8, 2019

G.SKILL 16GB 3200MHz Ripjaws V Black CL16 will be ok?

Which mobo is good then? Can be more expensive if needed.

Ok, Ill try stock cooler first.

Thanks!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That case supports either size.

To be honest I still don't think the Tomahawk is a bad option so long as you can get it from someplace where it's fairly easy to return if you have issues. If you want a board with the flashback option you're basically limited to MSI anyway. The B450(M) Gaming Plus or B450-A Pro would be fine as well. The only boards that are significantly better than those that also have flashback are like 250+ euro.

Alternatively, if you don't want to be limited to flashback boards, you could confirm with the retailer whether a given motherboard ships with the required BIOS, or look for a "ready for Ryzen 3000" sticker on the box if you buy in store. There's also the option of getting a local computer store to update the BIOS for you.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Ryzen 5 3600x OC
RTX 2070 Super
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
G.SKILL 16GB 3200MHz Flare X Black Ryzen CL14 (2x8GB)
ADATA 512GB M.2 PCIe XPG SX8200 Pro
Seasonic 650W Focus Plus 80 Plus Gold BOX
be quiet! Pure Base 600

Any thoughts?

That case comes with two fans. I'd think about adding another two fans for a total of two front intake fans, one rear top exhaust fan and one top rear exhaust fan. Two fans is simply not really enough case cooling for that hardware.

You don't NEED the FlareX memory, and can likely do as well or better with a set of Ripjaws or Trident Z sticks.

Jun 8, 2019
That case comes with two fans. I'd think about adding another two fans for a total of two front intake fans, one rear top exhaust fan and one top rear exhaust fan. Two fans is simply not really enough case cooling for that hardware.

You don't NEED the FlareX memory, and can likely do as well or better with a set of Ripjaws or Trident Z sticks.

Ok, I will add fans.

Well, this RAM is the cheapest one I found in my country so far. We are talking about CL14, right?
CL14 is almost 2 times more expensive than CL16...