Question Ryzen 3600x running HOT

Oct 13, 2019
I just upgraded my Ryzen 3 2200g to a Ryzen 5 3600x and it seems like it's running pretty hot...

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Cooler: Cooler Master Evo 212 Black (2nd fan for push/pull config)
Mobo: Aorus M B450 (newest chipset driver installed, BIOS version F41)
RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3000 2x 8 kit (clocking at 3000 after tweaking timings in BIOS)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW
Storage: NVMe boot drive, SATA for games, HDD for everything else.
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 80+ 1000W

Right now I'm sitting with a few Chrome tabs open (including YouTube if that matters), and I'm running around 40C-50C between 1.4V and 1.45V. Gaming goes up to the high 60s, low 70s. I'm less worried about it under gaming load, because I think that's normal(ish), but those idle temps kind of concern me. 50C seems kind of high for just browsing the internet... and I'm not sure if it needs to be pulling 1.45V under that workload...

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I'd float it out in the forums. Are these temps and voltages normal?? And if they're high, any suggestions on dropping those down a peg??

Auto settings are always overkill in voltage and push higher temps. This is normal with the turbo boost of modern CPUs. This is why most people “overclock” by setting fixed voltage and CPU speed. You can likely get the same perform at lower voltage which will lower temps. I wouldn’t run a CPU at 1.4 let alone 1.45. I’d see what kind of speeds you can get at around 1.3v

The Ryzen cpu's will millisecond spike to 1.45+ volts as the cpu cores ares shuffled in and out of use as needed and the cpu uses it's algorithms to move the hottest core around to keep performance high. Sensor reporting software like HWiNfo and Ryzen Master reports the highest temp within the window they use to sample the sensors on your PC...it's unlikely you're at 1.45 volts on any one core for more than a millisecond but the software makes it seem like it's always at that voltage. 40-50c while web browsing is normal with Ryzen...rest assured it's still very power efficient. As long as you're not 24/7 overclocking above 1.35v and you have good cooling that keeps load temps well below 80c then you should just let the 3600x do it's thing...AMD built it that way and guarantees the cpu under those designed criteria.