[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600x vs i5 9600kf/9400f system upgrade selection.

KrebnacX

Reputable
Dec 14, 2016
Hi,

I have a pc and I want to upgrade it. The current parts as below;

• Asus z370 Tuf Plus Gaming
  • i5 8400
-Gigabyte Aorus 1060 6gb
- 2x8 3000 mhz corsair ram
-EVGA 550 g3 psu
-512 gb XPG sx8200 pro
-Phanteks p300

I want to upgrade my pc. First, I will sell my GPU and buy a new one. Most probably 5700xt or rtx 2070. (Depends on price.)

I think i5 8400 won't be enough so what should I do? My mobo supports 9th gen intel. I can sell my i5 8400 and buy i5 9th cpu like 9400f or 9600kf. However, ryzen is so popular right now. Everyone suggests it. What would be better? Selling i5 8400 and buying new intel or selling mobo + cpu and buying new mobo + cpu? According to my other parts which combination fits better? Also, if I save some money from mobo + cpu, I can select better gpu.

I will get 2k 144hz monitor with gpu. I use pc mainly for gaming. I play both competitive and single player story based games.

Solution
Thank you,

I think 9700k will be hard for me. What about 9600kf ? Is it ok to select,too?

The 9600KF is only 6 threads (vs 8 on the 9700K). It's fine for now, but it might not age that well so depends on how long you want to keep the cpu for. The Intel 10th Gen CPU's are supposed to be announced soon - you might get a good discount on that 9700K if you can wait a few weeks (latest leaks suggest April 30th for official announcement from Intel).

If not, the 9600KF is a good upgrade over the 8400 as can be easily overclocked up to 5ghz which will give great fps and should be plenty for at least a couple of years imo.
Hi,

I have a pc and I want to upgrade it. The current parts as below;

• Asus z370 Tuf Plus Gaming
  • i5 8400
-Gigabyte Aorus 1060 6gb
- 2x8 3000 mhz corsair ram
-EVGA 550 g3 psu
-512 gb XPG sx8200 pro
-Phanteks p300

I want to upgrade my pc. First, I will sell my GPU and buy a new one. Most probably 5700xt or rtx 2070. (Depends on price.)

I think i5 8400 won't be enough so what should I do? My mobo supports 9th gen intel. I can sell my i5 8400 and buy i5 9th cpu like 9400f or 9600kf. However, ryzen is so popular right now. Everyone suggests it. What would be better? Selling i5 8400 and buying new intel or selling mobo + cpu and buying new mobo + cpu? According to my other parts which combination fits better? Also, if I save some money from mobo + cpu, I can select better gpu.

I will get 2k 144hz monitor with gpu. I use pc mainly for gaming. I play both competitive and single player story based games.

in your case I think it's better to stick with Intel as Intel 9th gen is really good for gaming. It's true that the Ryzen 5 parts make a lot more sense than the i5 at the moment (due to being 6 cores / 12 threads on Ryzen vs 6 cores / 6 threads on Intel) however it's a different case if you have to buy both a new motherboard and cpu.

My suggestion, with the money you save on not buying a motherboard, get an i7 9700K as that is about the best cpu you can get at the moment for gaming. That will keep up fine with either gpu you mention. Your other components are all fine and will work well with that combination.

KrebnacX

Reputable
Dec 14, 2016
in your case I think it's better to stick with Intel as Intel 9th gen is really good for gaming. It's true that the Ryzen 5 parts make a lot more sense than the i5 at the moment (due to being 6 cores / 12 threads on Ryzen vs 6 cores / 6 threads on Intel) however it's a different case if you have to buy both a new motherboard and cpu.

My suggestion, with the money you save on not buying a motherboard, get an i7 9700K as that is about the best cpu you can get at the moment for gaming. That will keep up fine with either gpu you mention. Your other components are all fine and will work well with that combination.

Thank you,

Thank you,

The 9600KF is only 6 threads (vs 8 on the 9700K). It's fine for now, but it might not age that well so depends on how long you want to keep the cpu for. The Intel 10th Gen CPU's are supposed to be announced soon - you might get a good discount on that 9700K if you can wait a few weeks (latest leaks suggest April 30th for official announcement from Intel).

If not, the 9600KF is a good upgrade over the 8400 as can be easily overclocked up to 5ghz which will give great fps and should be plenty for at least a couple of years imo.

Reactions: KrebnacX
Solution
There is little point going from one i5 to another i5, you will gain very little. I agree about going for a i7. The main limitation of the i5 is it only having 6 threads so going for another i5 does not address the main limitation.

For 1440p your 8400 should still do a decent job paired with a 5700xt/2070. I’d keep your cpu and then look at upgrade options at the end of the year. The new ranges from both Intel and AMD should be out by then and you may have better options and possibly a bit more money to spend on the upgrade.

Reactions: Vic 40 and cdrkf

KrebnacX

Reputable
Dec 14, 2016

Thank you for your response. I think I can wait a bit after buying the gpu. Depends on the news I may try to get i7 9700k. If i cant, I can go with i5 9600k overclocked 5ghz. I believe it wont be so bad to have a bit bottleneck because of i5 8400 for a couple months.