Question Ryzen 3700 running hot?

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Just got my build running and noticed the cpu temperature at 68c around idle. Playing rainbow six the temperature went up to 86c. The processor is a 3700 but it started running at 4200 with zero overclocking. Should I pull the slider back to 3700? Also, cpu fans are kicking in. Thanks!

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Hello, the ryzen 7 3700x is hot when turbo boost kicks in. Those temps in gaming seems normal but could be lower, look at the idle temps. Go to the BIOS and enable Precision boost Overdrive with 200Mhz step and 90ºC max temp or so. Also you want to change the curve of CPU fan profile. Make sure to connect the fans from the cooler with some Y-splitter or something like that to the CPU-Fan header.

Edit: You don't need to connect both to the CPU-fan if you don't have that splitter. Could work CPU-FAN and CPU-Optional aswell.

Reactions: ffr2608

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Once you adjust the fans profile in the BIOS if you still have those temps make sure you have properly applied the thermal-paste and tight good enough the cooler to make good contact with the cpu.

Something is not right. The 3700x is not a hot cpu. My 3700x is setup to boost to 4.3GHz on all cores using the stock cooler. I’m idling at about 40c but it is jumping above and below. During Cinebench and my last gaming session it peaked at 63c.

If you are sure the fans are running correctly I would look at reseating the cooler. Is it absolutely locked down securely?

Just got my build running and noticed the cpu temperature at 68c around idle. Playing rainbow six the temperature went up to 86c. The processor is a 3700 but it started running at 4200 with zero overclocking. Should I pull the slider back to 3700? Also, cpu fans are kicking in. Thanks!
86C just playing a game does sound pretty high; is it a steady 86 or peaking up that high and ramping back down repeatedly?

Peaking and ramping is normal temp profiles for Ryzen 3000. You want to adjust fan profiles to ignore the peaking by setting a fan speed that's not annoying loud up but is flat and level for all temperatures up to about 65-70C or so then start ramping up from there but not hitting airplane mode until 90-95C.

Running a steady 86C in a game though just seems too warm. I agree, double-check cooler mount and TIM application. But before that you might try opening up the case to see how temp's are affected. If temp's goes down in-game then it could be that GPU heat is just being circulated around to the CPU cooler so it's trying to cool the processor with hot air. In which case you need to tend to case air-flow.

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
thanks for all the replies, I will definitely look into this, and yes thermal paste is applied correctly and the cpu cooler is mounted right.

Inside case temps are also cool. I can touch the heat pipes right before the CPU and they are quite cool. That could that possibly mean it isn't seated like I think as that should be the warmest part of the cooler.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You did remove the plastic tape from the cooler base before sticking it on the cpu? All the screws are securely fastened? Can't remember the number of posts I've seen where ppl didn't tighten the cooler sufficiently because they were scared of damaging the cpu.

That's a monster cooler on a mediocre heat output cpu. No reason idle should be much if any higher than low 40's and extreme loads in mid 60's.

How's the airflow in the case?

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
I figured out the problem, it was the plastic tape. I thought we took it off but now the temps are running smoothly. I thank all of you for all of your great help, I'll be back here if i run into anymore troubles:)