Question Ryzen 3700x and rtx 2070 preforming below expectations

Jan 7, 2020
Hello!
I just got my first computer. Im using a x470 msi gaming pro max, a Ryzen 3700x, a rtx 2070 ventus and 16gb of ram gskill ddr4 3200mhz and a mx500 1tb ssd

The problem comes when I do some benchmarks. In cinebench multi-thread it is scoring almost 900 points below average and in single thread 80 points below average. In userbenchmark it says in both "way below average" . I can't understand. I'm using the last drivers in both and the temperatures are good. Around 40-45ºC in the CPU and 30-35ºC in the GPU at idle.

Any suggestion?

Jan 7, 2020
pocUmdL4p

I updated the bios today and I installed windows 2 days ago. I just updated the drivers and the load temps are:
55-65 for the CPU and 70-75 for the GPU.

WKIRBY

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
What power supply are you using? Id suggest a Gold efficient if you can swing it and 650 watts at least for some extra headroom. You might also get some good thermal paste and clean and replace what is already installed.

Jan 7, 2020
The temps op reported are not problematic at all. New paste likely wont change anything.

Looking at your userbenchmark it seems the cpu is not boosting. Which would explain the lower than average scores.

Have you messed with any bios settings?

I have enabled the ram profile and lowered the voltage of the cpu because it was 1.4 volts and I thought it was quite high. Now is on 1.2V.
Should I reset it to the default settings? Maybe I've changed something unintentionally.

Also I didn't connect the 4 pin connector to the motherboard only the 8 pin connector because my power supply doesn't have the 4 pin one but I've read on the internet that if I don't do extreme overclocking that shouldn't be a problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also I didn't connect the 4 pin connector to the motherboard only the 8 pin connector because my power supply doesn't have the 4 pin one but I've read on the internet that if I don't do extreme overclocking that shouldn't be a problem.
Correct. It won't make a difference. That cpu doesn't pull close to 300A, if I recall correctly from one of Buildzoid's motherboard teardowns.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you don't really know what you're doing, you should leave the cpu alone.
Ryzen 3000 generally works better when left to it's own devices. User(beginner) interference, more often than not, hurts performance.
It does not behave in the same manner as Intel cpus; closer to Nvidia gpus really.

Get the strongest cooler you're willing to put on it, and leave it at that.
If you really want to push this cpu further, then I suggest studying some Ryzen 3000 cpu and memory OC guides.

TRENDING THREADS