[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x does not boost

Tweetty

Prominent
Apr 28, 2021
Before, my power options were set to AMD Ryzen Balanced option with 5% Min and 99% Max processor state. While browsing and not doing anything heavy duty, the CPU would be below 3.6 GHz and while gaming, it would boost automatically to 4.2 GHz. One day I noticed my fans weren't spinning fast and I realised that the CPU isn't boosting itself and when I checked with several different software, I was correct. I can still change the power option to AMD Ryzen High Performance and boost the CPU to 4.2 GHz, but then it never goes down below it. Now while gaming, it is stuck to 3.49GHz but before it used to boost to 4.2GHz w/o changing power plans or anything. And while I was gaming if I Alt-Tab, it would go down from 4.2 to 3.49 or lower I am wondering what happened and why the CPU isn't boosting anymore. I haven't changed anything other than installing some Windows 10 Updates.

Solution
Effective is closer to the figures AMD Ryzen Master uses, it won't be exact as AMD don't share the formula they use.

Core clock is what Microsoft seems to base their on and its not really accurate when it comes to real usage. That is the old way.

Task manager could be looking at the constantly spiking core and thinking that the entire CPU is doing that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard do you have?

windows updates can include AMD driver updates, I got 2 today although they aren't related to CPU from what I can tell.

Do you have ryzen master installed? if so, go into settings and run its update option.

Tweetty

Prominent
Apr 28, 2021
What motherboard do you have?

windows updates can include AMD driver updates, I got 2 today although they aren't related to CPU from what I can tell.

Do you have ryzen master installed? if so, go into settings and run its update option.
My motherboard is MSI x570 Gaming Plus
The Windows update was from 1909 to 2004 Version
Ryzen Master is updated to the latest version

Tweetty

Prominent
Apr 28, 2021
Have you tried just using the normal Balanced plan? AMD depreciating the use of their Balanced, it was only created because the windows one didn't work right with Ryzen but I believe it is fixed now.

You could try updating these - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 (just chipset drivers, not raid unless you used it already)

what shows its stuck?
HWINFO? Ryzen master?
I tried the normal Balanced plan but the lowest it will go is 3.5 GHz and from time to time to 4.3-4.35 GHz without doing anything just with hwinfo open
I already got the latest chipset drivers
And I use MSI Afterburner with RivaTuner to see the CPU/GPU speed and temp while gaming

Colif

Win 11 Master
That might be accurate on your CPU, there are only 2 programs that know how fast my 3600XT is going at any time and they are HWINFO or Ryzen Master.

task manager has no idea
SVPIgTo.jpg

Average effective clock is a better way to see speed you get
UmyyvPX.jpg

last is silly, task manager thinks i am doing 4k while HWINFO reports about 300
A lot of hw monitors get it wrong all the time.

Tweetty

Prominent
Apr 28, 2021
That might be accurate on your CPU, there are only 2 programs that know how fast my 3600XT is going at any time and they are HWINFO or Ryzen Master.

task manager has no idea
SVPIgTo.jpg

Average effective clock is a better way to see speed you get
UmyyvPX.jpg

last is silly, task manager thinks i am doing 4k while HWINFO reports about 300
A lot of hw monitors get it wrong all the time.
Oh I know to never check task manager for such things... it's garbage
So RivaTuner isn't showing correct readings? I should always check ryzen master and hwinfo?

Tweetty

Prominent
Apr 28, 2021
Do you still have the max processer state at 99%? If so,it will not reach it's boost speed.
But that's the thing. Before it was set to 5% min and 99% max and when I started a game, it would boost to 4.2-4.4 GHz and when I Alt-Tab from the game to check the browser or anything else it would go under 3.6 GHz

Colif

Win 11 Master
Effective is closer to the figures AMD Ryzen Master uses, it won't be exact as AMD don't share the formula they use.

Core clock is what Microsoft seems to base their on and its not really accurate when it comes to real usage. That is the old way.

Task manager could be looking at the constantly spiking core and thinking that the entire CPU is doing that.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution