Question Ryzen 3700X is underperforming, why?

hirschbergt

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I had a similar issue with my 3700X and gtx 1070 giving me around 8000 on the same test. I resolved it by going here https://www.amd.com/en/support and downloading the latest AMD chipset drivers. Click on "Chipset," followed by "AM4" in the second column, followed by your applicable chipset (X370, X470, etc.).

After the chipset drivers are installed, go to your power settings in Windows and make sure the "Ryzen Balanced" power plan is selected as shown in the image.
TqfJE7P.png

This tells Windows to use AMD's algorithms to control how the CPU boosts its frequencies. The default Windows power plans that come with the OS will cause the frequency boosts to happen much slower than if you use AMD's power plan, which in turn translates to reduced performance.

After making these changes, my Time Spy CPU score jumped from 8040 points to around 9700, which is much more in line with what reviewers are seeing.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited:
on 3D MARK- time spy my 3700x and gtx 1070 are only getting around 6246. the 3700X is only 9451. HELP PLEASE!

It could be any number of issues. You might only have dual rank single stick of ram running at 2666MHz. It might be some background service slowing you down, or some misconfiguration of memory in the UEFI, Bad case circulation, or bad application of thermal paste that causes overheating and throttling, or being too aggressive on overclocks making the system auto correct itself (If I overclock my 3700k too much, Prime95 slows down and shows inconsistent results between cores)

Only way to know for sure is to look at CPU usage, CPU clock graphs, GPU usage, and GPU clock rate graphs. (That's a good place to start) A lot of people like MSI Afterburner, GPUz and CPUz for these questions. You could also run Prime95 and compare your scores as this is a CPU/memory test, it would allow you to determine if it's your graphics card, or CPU/memory.

I had a similar issue with my 3700X and gtx 1070 giving me around 8000 on the same test. I resolved it by going here https://www.amd.com/en/support and downloading the latest AMD chipset drivers. Click on "Chipset," followed by "AM4" in the second column, followed by your applicable chipset (X370, X470, etc.).

After the chipset drivers are installed, go to your power settings in Windows and make sure the "Ryzen Balanced" power plan is selected as shown in the image.
TqfJE7P.png

This tells Windows to use AMD's algorithms to control how the CPU boosts its frequencies. The default Windows power plans that come with the OS will cause the frequency boosts to happen much slower than if you use AMD's power plan, which in turn translates to reduced performance.

After making these changes, my Time Spy CPU score jumped from 8040 points to around 9700, which is much more in line with what reviewers are seeing.

This is the answer to your question.

Sep 16, 2019

TqfJE7P.png

I did excatly that but my score didnt change at all. What could be the reason for that?

Sep 16, 2019
You did insert the RAM in the correct slots, right? They should be in alternate slots... look in the manual.
I inserted it into the right Slots atleast If I understood the Manual right.
English is not my native language and the Manual was not that good.
I was wondering because it looked like i have to insert them right next to each other but on my Last mobo they were seperated.