Question Ryzen 3700x 'locking down' core speeds?

CynicalSaint

Reputable
Nov 25, 2019
Hello, recently changed from Intel to AMD. Ryzen 3700x, TUF Gaming X570-Plus mobo, all Default BIOS settings. Ryzen High Performance Power Plan. EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Idle Temp ~45C.

Issue: I have noticed that on some boots, the system is "locking down" some of my cores. The most recent time I caught it, cores 1-4 were locked at 533Mhz. As would be expected, this causes very slow processing speeds. It is usually first boot after sitting for a while, and almost always fixed by a restart.

Is there potentially a BIOS setting that is set to default, that should be set to something else? Not attempting OC at this time.

As a secondary question, any guides out there on best practice AMD BIOS settings? Anything I have been able to find is related to Overclocking, really just looking for something that suggests best settings for stock stability.

Thanks in advance!

AMD Ryzen 3700x - Stock Cooler
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
32g DDR4 3600 memory
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU

Hello, recently changed from Intel to AMD. Ryzen 3700x, TUF Gaming X570-Plus mobo, all Default BIOS settings. Ryzen High Performance Power Plan. EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Idle Temp ~45C.

Issue: I have noticed that on some boots, the system is "locking down" some of my cores. The most recent time I caught it, cores 1-4 were locked at 533Mhz. As would be expected, this causes very slow processing speeds. It is usually first boot after sitting for a while, and almost always fixed by a restart.

Is there potentially a BIOS setting that is set to default, that should be set to something else? Not attempting OC at this time.

As a secondary question, any guides out there on best practice AMD BIOS settings? Anything I have been able to find is related to Overclocking, really just looking for something that suggests best settings for stock stability.

Thanks in advance!

AMD Ryzen 3700x - Stock Cooler
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
32g DDR4 3600 memory
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU
Do you have PBO enabled ? DOCP ?

CynicalSaint

Reputable
Nov 25, 2019
Clean install of Win 10. Chipset Driver is up to date.

This happened in previous BIOS as well, but updated to current version last night.

BIOS is straight defaults, with the exception of DOCP profile, and AURA turned off (Piece of junk).

So Performance Bias, and PBOs are all set to 'Auto'. I assume the problem is in here somewhere.

Clean install of Win 10. Chipset Driver is up to date.

This happened in previous BIOS as well, but updated to current version last night.

BIOS is straight defaults, with the exception of DOCP profile, and AURA turned off (Piece of junk).

So Performance Bias, and PBOs are all set to 'Auto'. I assume the problem is in here somewhere.

I see, and What monitoring software do you use to "catch" this 533Mhz locked cores? Ryzen Master, HWinfo 64 portable?

I would avoid and skip any other software, like hwmonitor, all the apps from motherboard vendors, etc., since they are not reliables for reading Ryzen 3xxx values and sensors.

I would avoid and skip any other software...
Seconding that... although even RyzenMaster can seem a bit odd if you don't understand that it's doing an averaging of clock speed readout and core voltage readout.

HWInfo64 seems to be the best choice for Ryzen to monitor current state.

Also, OP may be a bit confused by Ryzen's normal behavior. It will 'deep sleep' cores as often as possible. When it does so, monitoring software reports the last state of the core before it went into sleep as it would otherwise wake the core just to ask it 'are you asleep now?', like a classic comedy sketch. So it will appear to be 'stuck' at a low clock speed but actually asleep.

It only wakes when the scheduler sees a need to move a thread to that core and wake it. And the scheduler is much more aware of the CPU cores with recent updates to windows, BIOS and AMD's chipset drivers.

Reactions: RodroX
This happens to me with the AGESA 1.0.0.4 patch B BIOS. Some cores get stuck at a low clock speed. I did not trouble the issue. I went back to AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA which does not have that issue.

A couple other things that may be affecting you.

In BIOS be sure Global C-state Control, CPPC, CPPC Preferred Cores, and AMD Cool'n'Quiet are all set to "Enabled". Don't leave them in AUTO as many board mfr's AUTO or DEFAULT settings leave one or more of them disabled.

Also be sure to run at least the Ryzen Balanced power plan. There's also a custom power plan by 1Usmus that helps a bit with core balancing. Here's an interesting article on it:

Reactions: zx128k

zx128k

Reputable
1Usmus power plan and bios settings caused issues with my single thread performance but gave me a small bump in multi thread performance.

The clock speed becomes stuck and multiple reboots won't fix it. I had to turn the system off. With me only core 0 and 1 were affected. They were stuck at 3000 and 2000. Does not happen on 1.0.0.3 ABBA. Would have to update to 1.0.0.4 patch b to test which I don't have time for atm. Just hoping that the information might help the OP.

See 18:49 in this video.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS