Discussion Ryzen 3700x Max Single Core Clock Speed ?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What is the Maximum single core clock speed your Ryzen 7 3700x hits ?
I was just wondering what everyone is getting for a max clock speed because of all the recent press about these chips not hitting the Max clock speeds (4.4 GHz ).

Mine hit 4375 MHz (4.375 GHz) on one core while running Cinebench R15:
View: https://imgur.com/lsPjZLa

I am personally fine with the fact that mine doesn't quite reach 4.4 GHz, 4.375 GHz is close enough for me.
My full specifications are listed in my signature.

Last edited:
What is the Maximum single core clock speed your Ryzen 7 3700x hits ?
I was just wondering what everyone is getting for a max clock speed because of all the recent press about these chips not hitting the Max clock speeds (4.4 GHz ).

Mine hit 4375 MHz (4.375 GHz) on one core while running Cinebench R15:
View: https://imgur.com/lsPjZLa

I am personally fine with the fact that mine doesn't quite reach 4.4 GHz, 4.375 GHz is close enough for me.
My full specifications are listed in my signature.
That's what i get too... mostly 4.375 and 4.35 for max clocks although I do get 4.4 occasionally.

Ryzen Max Clock is single core clock so that's be expected. Also, boosts to that speed are really short maybe a few milliseconds at most and only with plenty of thermal headroom. In a practical sense it doesn't matter for performance.

My processor does it's heavy lifting at 4.2-4.25Ghz steady all-core. And it's benchmark scores are comparable to some of the people claiming 4.5-4.55 Ghz boost clocks with their 3800X's on PBO. That suggests theirs also drops back to the same 4.2-4.25 range in heavy all-core work with the 4.55Gig boosts contributing very little to the show.

I think the hoopla over clock-speed is way overblown. The processor clearly performs well - just look at the benchmark scores. Especially real-world scores not just pure synthetic scores.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I just did some video encoding and my 3700x was hitting 4.25 GHZ to 4.275 GHz on all cores.
It even hit 4.3 GHz on all cores for a few seconds.
I'm pretty happy with it.
My encoding time was about half of what it was with my OC'd 2600.

LOL I just ran Cinebench R20 and 5 different cores hit 4.375 GHz:
Am curious to know what CB20 scores you get running it exclusively (HWInfo can't be running) and Realtime priority set in Task Manager. That's the way I get most consistent results, in the 502-508 range ST and 5050-5060 range MT when processor is cool. I am using a PBO overclock.

I can get a much higher MT score (5200 or so) with a manual OC to 4300 G. but ST score is still something like 510 and voltage needed is way more than i liked. I just don't see the attraction in manual overclocks for this thing.

Reactions: DMAN999

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Basically it's a con. My 3600x runs all the time at 4.25ghz (doesn't even downclock to stock) and never reaches the advertised 4.4ghz, so really it's no faster than the non X chip

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Basically it's a con. My 3600x runs all the time at 4.25ghz (doesn't even downclock to stock) and never reaches the advertised 4.4ghz, so really it's no faster than the non X chip
There's no difference between the 3600 and 3600x reported by reviewers.Regarding the lower clock speeds.AMD's aware and busy with a bios update to correct that as far as i know.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Hey DMAN99.
PSA
I was just over on asus forum they are saying there is new mobo updates out i think in beta though.
I also looked on mine from the website but not showing yet.
I've been watching for the New BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA for my board but it isn't available yet.
I'm fine with that though, I'd rather wait a few days (or even weeks) so they have time to implement it properly rather than rush it out with new bugs.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
So this link is from someone on rog strix x470 f gaming that was looking on i think a crosshair thread but here is the link.
As of last night asus still the same for me
And read that 1st link i don't think there is anything there that will help my ram issue.
Anyway updates soon.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112279-X370-X470-AGESA-1003AB-Bioses/page42
The BIOS there for my B450-F is actually an older version with an older AGESA version that what was officially released a few weeks after that post.
I am using version 2704 (AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB) and that BIOS is version 2701 (AGESA 1.0.0.3AB)

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
CB r20 just can't make 3700x hit full potential frequency, mine also never hits over 4.375 in CB but Geekbench or games, can hit 4.45GHz on one core and 4.375+ on others.
Running a program like RM or HWinfo at same time as CB lowers it's scores.
My 3700x only hits 4.2 max (and drops to 4.175 then 4.150) all core in CB R20 but like you said it hits 4.325, 4.350 or even 4.375 on 3 or 4 cores when gaming.