Question Ryzen 3700X not working - black screen

Sep 3, 2019
Hello.

I just upgraded my X370 board from a Ryzen 1600X to a 3700X. When i boot with the new CPU, everything turns on (even mouse and keyboard has lights as normal), but my monitor doesn't get a connection. The monitor starts up, but shuts off after a while again.

I have updated to the latest BIOS of course. And i can boot normally if i put back in the old 1600X CPU again.

According to the manufacturer, the motherboard does indeed support the new CPU as long as you run a newer version of their BIOS. The board is an ASUS X370-F.

Have i missed something?

Last edited:
Hello.

I just upgraded my X370 board from a Ryzen 1600X to a 3700X. But when i boot with the new CPU, everything turns on (even mouse and keyboard has lights as normal), but my monitor gets no connection - the monitor doesn't start.

I have updated to the latest BIOS of course. And i can boot normally if i put back in the old 1600X CPU again.

According to the manufacturer, the motherboard does indeed support the new CPU as long as you run a newer version of their BIOS. The board is an ASUS X370-F.

Have i missed something?
I don't see that you are missing anything and I think it should run.
Although I would double check the BIOS.
It's calling for 4801.
Are you sure you are running 4801 or later?
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X370-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

Sep 3, 2019
Thank you for the fast reply.

Yes, my BIOS version is actually newer, i'm running 5204 as of now. Should i try downgrading to 4801? They recommend against it on the ASUS support site.
I wouldn't downgrade a BIOS as I've been "recommended against it" lol.
Although.....I don't see 5204 anywhere on ASUS's web page that I linked.
How are you running a version that isn't listed on the manufacturer's own website?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No i haven't. Should i?
To reset the BIOS, do the following:

Disconnect all power sources (video cable, powered speakers, power cable).
Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (seriously).
Remove the coin battery and wait at least 1 minute before replacing.
Replace the battery.
Reconnect previously removed power sources.
Power on. Your BIOS should be in default state.

Sep 3, 2019
To reset the BIOS, do the following:

Disconnect all power sources (video cable, powered speakers, power cable).
Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (seriously).
Remove the coin battery and wait at least 1 minute before replacing.
Replace the battery.
Reconnect previously removed power sources.
Power on. Your BIOS should be in default state.

Then i have to download the newest BIOS update again to support the processor, right? Whats the point then?

Jul 17, 2019
Maybe check if the bios version you installed says that it is the compatible one to ryzen 3rd gen. It could be that there are multiple new ones and u picked the one that isnt compatible. And if that doesnt work i would eather w8 til a new bios comes out or send the cpu back

Sep 3, 2019
You might need to clear your CMOS multiple times.
I just upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a 3700x and I had to clear the CMOS 3 times before it posted with the 3700x installed.

Just tried multiple times with no luck, unfortunately.

Maybe check if the bios version you installed says that it is the compatible one to ryzen 3rd gen. It could be that there are multiple new ones and u picked the one that isnt compatible. And if that doesnt work i would eather w8 til a new bios comes out or send the cpu back

As i understand from the ASUS support site it all the new BIOS updates past 4801 are compatible. There are no notes attached to my version saying it isn't.

Ryzen 3000 vs. updated BIOS are a hit and miss. Heck, my MSI B450M Gaming Plus MAX does this the second time I tried booting. But luckily, upon rebooting twice, it was booting fine again. It seems to be an issue with the BIOS's reliability. You can try resetting CMOS multiple times and try booting multiple times as well. I don't think rolling BIOS helps, but you can give it a shot. Else, you might be outta luck.

Sep 3, 2019
Ryzen 3000 vs. updated BIOS are a hit and miss. Heck, my MSI B450M Gaming Plus MAX does this the second time I tried booting. But luckily, upon rebooting twice, it was booting fine again. It seems to be an issue with the BIOS's reliability. You can try resetting CMOS multiple times and try booting multiple times as well. I don't think rolling BIOS helps, but you can give it a shot. Else, you might be outta luck.

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll try more times, but i have already tried quite a few.

did you comfirm this in the CPU support list for your motherbord on asus support site?

As written in the original post
According to the manufacturer, the motherboard does indeed support the new CPU...
:)