Question Ryzen 3700X Odd Temperature Spikes

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Ryzen 3700X temparatues jumping from 37c to high 40s even briefly to low 60s on IDLE! If I even move my cursor around the temps start jumping around and the cpu fan too which is annoying. This can't be normal. Room temp is around 20c. In games it randomly jump to mid or high 70s even on low demanding titles

System:
Lian Li pc o-11 dynamic with three Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap mounted on the side
Asus Rog Strix x470-F Gaming
Asus Rog Strix 2080 super
Ryzen 7 3700X with stock cooler
G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W

Ryzen 3700X temparatues jumping from 37c to high 40s even briefly to low 60s on IDLE! If I even move my cursor around the temps start jumping around and the cpu fan too which is annoying. This can't be normal. Room temp is around 20c. In games it randomly jump to mid or high 70s even on low demanding titles

System:
Lian Li pc o-11 dynamic with three Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap mounted on the side
Not sure what "low demanding titles" means, but it could mean not stressful on the GPU. That could mean it's really pumping frames and putting a much bigger demand on the CPU as a result.

And yes, temps jumping around 'even at idle' is normal. That because being at idle isn't really idle, many times since there's always something going on in Windows. Due to 7nm's process density Ryzen spikes temperature when it processes one of those little loads so it spikes briefly.

Check cooler mounting.

That case seems more suited for liquid cooling application. With the fans all on the side it may not be moving the hot air out of the CPU area.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Not sure what "low demanding titles" means, but it could mean not stressful on the GPU. That could mean it's really pumping frames and putting a much bigger demand on the CPU as a result.

And yes, temps jumping around 'even at idle' is normal. That because being at idle isn't really idle, many times since there's always something going on in Windows. Due to 7nm's process density Ryzen spikes temperature when it processes one of those little loads so it spikes briefly.

Check cooler mounting.

That case seems more suited for liquid cooling application. With the fans all on the side it may not be moving the hot air out of the CPU area.

"Always something going on" like moving the mouse around and temps jumping 10c?

Cooler mounting is not that complicated since it's just a lever mechanism so can't go many ways wrong, but I will check the heat sink mount and thermal paste tomorrow. I might even buy new beefy air cooler like Noctua NH-D15S and play around with the fan setup and see how that will go, but so far I'm not happy with AMD.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Yes, it can be and is normal. A better cooler will help keep temps down, though.

If you're not happy feel free to spend more for the same performance on an Intel system.

I rather spend more with similar performance and have much more stable system out of the box than cheap out and have fans screaming at me 24/7 plus its not really that much of a price difference.

"Always something going on" like moving the mouse around and temps jumping 10c?
Yup... here's a bit of a demonstration of what's going on if you're interested.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZI9ZgwrDYg

Bottom line: ignore the little spikes. I set a fan curve kind of high, that only starts to ramp up around 50-60C or so, that way they don't pulse with those little spikes.

Getting a big Noctua cooler on it should help with the 70C temps in games, but it won't help as much as it could if the case is not ventilating well. Like I said, it looks to be one designed for liquid cooling, but maybe you can rig the fans to bring cool air from the front and bottom then flow upwards to exhaust from the top and back.

Your case fans have got to keep bringing cool fresh air to the CPU cooler or it will just recirculate hot air and achieve nothing. That's why liquid coolers are so popular as they're very forgiving of bad airflow in the case. If it were mine, I'd put a 360mm AIO with radiator on the side exhausting and those three fans on the bottom bringing cool air in and up to the GPU. Three more fans on top pulling the hot GPU and VRM air out would make it an amazing setup.

Last edited:

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018

Bottom line: ignore the little spikes. I set a fan curve kind of high, that only starts to ramp up around 50-60C or so, that way they don't pulse with those little spikes.

Getting a big Noctua cooler on it should help with the 70C temps in games, but it won't help as much as it could if the case is not ventilating well. Like I said, it looks to be one designed for liquid cooling, but maybe you can rig the fans to bring cool air from the front and bottom then flow upwards to exhaust from the top and back.

Your case fans have got to keep bringing cool fresh air to the CPU cooler or it will just recirculate hot air and achieve nothing. That's why liquid coolers are so popular as they're very forgiving of bad airflow in the case. If it were mine, I'd put a 360mm AIO with radiator on the side exhausting and those three fans on the bottom bringing cool air in and up to the GPU. Three more fans on top pulling the hot GPU and VRM air out would make it an amazing setup.

Well according to Gamers Nexus this case is good for both with the 3 side fan setup. I will watch the video tomorrow its late here

I'm literally getting tinnitus form it right now
Definitely set a fan curve to ignore temp until it gets above 55 or so, with a fixed just barely audible, or just below, fan speed up to that point. That's a big necessity especially with the stock cooler. 3700X needs the Wraithe Prism just as much as the 3800X does, don't know why they went with that one.

Not getting constant frames could easily be the GPU heating up if it's not getting cool air.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Definitely set a fan curve to ignore temp until it gets above 55 or so, with a fixed just barely audible, or just below, fan speed up to that point. That's a big necessity especially with the stock cooler. 3700X needs the Wraithe Prism just as much as the 3800X does, don't know why they went with that one.

Not getting constant frames could easily be the GPU heating up if it's not getting cool air.
Yeah i really don't know how to set the fan cure. GPU is really cool barely getting to 60c

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is never a constant, even with the fuzzy donut test.

Everything is pre-rendered by the cpu, every blade of grass, every particle in an explosion, every cloud. And every scene has different amounts of stuff in it.

A blade of grass sounds simple enough, cpu reads the game code, assigns a shape, dimensions, movement, shadows, etc. Then does that several thousand times for all the other blades of grass in the small section of field. You get 50fps. Then you walk 5 feet and there's a lake. Couple of ripples and most of the grass is gone. You get 100fps. Mortar across the lake tosses a shell in your direction, large explosion, dirt flying everywhere, cpu tracks and assigns thousands of moving clods with every address, physX goin nuts, you get 20fps.

And that's just cpu side of things, the frames sent to the gpu. Whether the gpu can handle those settings, details, resolution etc is a whole different story.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
UPDATE: Bought new cooler today and installed it (Cryorig H7). Now instead of having 36-38c at "Idle "(meaning i do absolutely nothing not even mouse movement) I'm having 31-35 according to Ryzen Master and according to HWiNFO64 i'm having mid 30s to low 40s Celsius: BUT here is the big but, IF i move my mouse or open up a browser it goes to low 40s according to RM and according to HWiNFO mid 40s to mid 50s even recorded max temo of 61c. HWiNFO readings are very inconsistent. So these temperature fluctuating are still present, but at least i don't have to go deaf.

UPDATE: Bought new cooler today and installed it (Cryorig H7). Now instead of having 36-38c at "Idle "(meaning i do absolutely nothing not even mouse movement) I'm having 31-35 according to Ryzen Master and according to HWiNFO64 i'm having mid 30s to low 40s Celsius: BUT here is the big but, IF i move my mouse or open up a browser it goes to low 40s according to RM and according to HWiNFO mid 40s to mid 50s even recorded max temo of 61c. HWiNFO readings are very inconsistent. So these temperature fluctuating are still present, but at least i don't have to go deaf.
It's working as it should.

Ryzens do this 2 or 3 generation, they spike but while it is not what one is use to it is what they do. I was horrified and crapping my pants, thought my AIO was bust.... 31 idle going to 43... back down..... gaming never over 65 though so it could'nt be bust.

Great CPUs with their own way of doing things which is very different to what most are used to, look at the spike as CPU character and don't worry. The fan control is G-Fan Control in Bios, I have the same most excellent MoBo !

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Ryzens do this 2 or 3 generation, they spike but while it is not what one is use to it is what they do. I was horrified and crapping my pants, thought my AIO was bust.... 31 idle going to 43... back down..... gaming never over 65 though so it could'nt be bust.

Great CPUs with their own way of doing things which is very different to what most are used to, look at the spike as CPU character and don't worry. The fan control is G-Fan Control in Bios, I have the same most excellent MoBo !

That's why I'm thinking of returning everything and going Intel....

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have that same MB and CPU (see my signature for my full specs) and it performs very well for me.
You can use Q Fan or go to the Monitor tab in the BIOS to set the CPU and case fan curves which helps a lot.
My CPU idles around 29-31c with some spikes to ~35-37c when web browsing or doing other light tasks and maxes out at around 60 to 62c when playing AAA games or encoding videos for hours.
If you take the time to configure your BIOS settings (Performance Enhancer, PBO, DOCP, etc.) I'm sure yours will perform well also.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
I have that same MB and CPU (see my signature for my full specs) and it performs very well for me.
You can use Q Fan or go to the Monitor tab in the BIOS to set the CPU and case fan curves which helps a lot.
My CPU idles around 29-31c with some spikes to ~35-37c when web browsing or doing other light tasks and maxes out at around 60 to 62c when playing AAA games or encoding videos for hours.
If you take the time to configure your BIOS settings (Performance Enhancer, PBO, DOCP, etc.) I'm sure yours will perform well also.

How's that new bios? also how are you running such low temps with that case it seems like a cheap old one (no offense).

Reactions: DMAN999
If a couple cores go to even 3.x-4.0 GHz, you can count on temps instantly spiking to 55-70C...

Moving a cursor around, opening/closing documents, background tasks such as downloading updates, cloud storage syncs, etc., background AV scans, etc., can all cause such behavior in what we like to consider 'idle' status, but, really might not be...

I suspect this might be a case of 'much ado about very little'....

I'd stop worrying unless you see high temps all the time and marginal performance...; when clocks go to near 800 MHz, and you see temps plummet to sub-40C, that is normal... (my OC'd 7700K does the same thing, at stock or overclocked when in Balanced mode; you can certainly make temps higher by selecting performance mode, which might elevate clock speeds needlessly, even if doing very little)

Reactions: brotherwhoneedshelp

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
How's that new bios? also how are you running such low temps with that case it seems like a cheap old one (no offense).
The new BIOS works fine the only real difference I have noticed is that it boots faster now than it did with BIOS version 5220.
As for cooling, my case has a mesh front and I have 3 - 120 mm front intake fans, 1 - 120 mm rear exhaust, 1 - 80 mm rear exhaust and 1 - 140mm top exhaust fan.
So the airflow of this case is excellent and my room stays at 68-70 F (20-21c)
This is my case:

Reactions: brotherwhoneedshelp
Jul 26, 2019

System:

Just built my first PC with an i9-9900K and EVGA 2080 Super and the exact same things happening to me... I noticed it when first going on youtube that as soon as my cursor was moved onto the video to play it (not even having clicked on it yet), my CPU temps jump immediately to 65-70C triggering the fans to max.. and then moving my cursor off the video, immediately back to idle 37-40C.. Put it in High Performance Power Plan to see a stable 4.7GHz and everything clickable triggered this spiking occurance (hovering over the recommended videos along the side of YT, desktop icons, task bar windows etc. etc..)