[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x or I7-10700? At the same price.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hi there.
I found a good deal on a retail store in my country.
They discount Ryzen 3700x and I7-10700. Now they're at the same price (310$) what do you think i should get? My budget is around 550$ for new MB and PSU. I already have ram and gpu.

I know ryzen 3000 series supposed to be cheaper.
Not in my country, sadly. So please help me decide.

Thank you so much.

Solution
i used the stock cooler on my 3700x for about 2 weeks before it bothered me enough to swap it out. it's not that's it loud but there is a low frequency hum that bugged the crap out of me as it spun up and down regularly.

a simple cooler fixed that no problem. i'd pick the 3700x over intel at this time every single time. the high power draw, top cooing needs, high end mobo needs makes them not ideal at the moment.

you'll see such little real world performance difference that the extra cost is just not worth it. put the cash you'll save with a 3700x system into a better gpu rather than dump it into the intel tax!!
CPU cost on its own is fairly useless. The i7 can perform better but needs a good Z490 so you can run high RAM speeds. It also needs a better cooler. The 3700x will run on a good B450/B550 motherboard with high RAM speeds and the stock cooler is adequate but noisy. You wan dual channel RAM of 3000-3600mhz with either option.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since you already have RAM, and unless you have verified it with the AMD mobo QVL (which you haven't picked yet), I would suggest the Intel. Not only is memory compatibility (typically) better with Intel but also doesn't take the impact on performance if it isn't high speed.

Since you already have RAM, and unless you have verified it with the AMD mobo QVL (which you haven't picked yet), I would suggest the Intel. Not only is memory compatibility (typically) better with Intel but also doesn't take the impact on performance if it isn't high speed.
Since Ryzen 3000 series the RAM compatibility seems about equal, 1000 & 2000 series were more sensitive. Also RAM speed can have similar impact with Intel.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i used the stock cooler on my 3700x for about 2 weeks before it bothered me enough to swap it out. it's not that's it loud but there is a low frequency hum that bugged the crap out of me as it spun up and down regularly.

a simple cooler fixed that no problem. i'd pick the 3700x over intel at this time every single time. the high power draw, top cooing needs, high end mobo needs makes them not ideal at the moment.

you'll see such little real world performance difference that the extra cost is just not worth it. put the cash you'll save with a 3700x system into a better gpu rather than dump it into the intel tax!!

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
CPU cost on its own is fairly useless. The i7 can perform better but needs a good Z490 so you can run high RAM speeds. It also needs a better cooler. The 3700x will run on a good B450/B550 motherboard with high RAM speeds and the stock cooler is adequate but noisy. You wan dual channel RAM of 3000-3600mhz with either option.
I see... B450 is lot more cheaper than z490.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

Thank you so much. You just narrow down my choices.

I never had AMD desktop before. Is there something i need to worry during the setup?

Because I had a lot of problems with ryzen 3750h.
Took me a week to make it work properly...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i had no issues building my system. everything worked right out of the box.

3700x, GB aorus pro wifi mobo, 32 gb 3200 speed ram, msi gtx 1650 super and assorted extras. the cooler i ended up buying was the be quiet pure rock 2 black edition. budget cooler but keeps things running below 60 degrees while playing a game. plenty good enough for me :)

i put it all inside a fractal focus g case. nice budget case with lots of room and plenty of airflow.

3700x, GB aorus pro wifi mobo, 32 gb 3200 speed ram, msi gtx 1650 super and assorted extras. the cooler i ended up buying was the be quiet pure rock 2 black edition. budget cooler but keeps things running below 60 degrees while playing a game. plenty good enough for me :)

i put it all inside a fractal focus g case. nice budget case with lots of room and plenty of airflow.

Same, best system I've ever had. Stable, powerful, everything you'd want. Runs at 60c on BF5, which runs so smoothly.

I don't know of an Intel system that will do that at such a low temperature .

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Go for the 3700X. You can upgrade it to 3950X or Zen 3's 4950X in the next few years once you get a promotion or a raise. There no point getting perma-stunned by Intel due to it lacking upgradability.

But like you said, money is a problem. But getting intel now IS another problem for later.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

Glad to hear that. I was a bit worried about AMD stability... To be honest Ryzen 3750h made me doubt...

Thank you so much.