[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x Overclock necesasry or just DOCP in my case?

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Okay my signature is up to date on my current specs. I do not use my PC as workstation. I want my CPU to boost only when it needs to, not be stressing all the time.

I have enabled DOCP, and set 3000mhz for my RAM in bios. I get nice automatic boost on my CPU in games to like 4.325Ghz. -- After Burner/Riva results

Is this a proper way for me to OC based off what I am trying to achieve or should I be overclocking the actual CPU too?

I have done nothing else in Bios.

Ryzen 7 3700x\Wraith Prism Cooler
Asus Prime x470-Pro\V.5406 Bios
XPG Spectrix DDR4 3000MHz 2x 8GB
Aorus Extreme RTX 2070
Western Digital Sata SSD M.2 250GB\Western Digital HDD 1TB
EVGA 850W PSU\Windows 10 64 bit

Last edited:
Aye. I'm having to rewatch the vid so it all sinks in - that I don't have a Ryzen 3000 myself doesn't help, LOL.

Fixed overclocking is more tedious than on an Intel cpu, and just not worth it.
He's so unfocused, he's hard to watch. But skip too much and you're likely to miss out on a bit of info that's really informative.

So we're finding out now what more and more of the 'experienced' overclockers are finding... that even low fixed voltages are risky since the processor can not ever reduce it to lower current through the cores. The nature of the very small geometry seems to have made it more susceptible to degradation if you push current, and especially temperature, too high with voltage.

But the funny thing is he seems to have just discovered in that video that since frequency also drives current and temperature it will therefore have an effect on how the algorithm works. At least that's what it seemed to me.

But I do always keep in mind, when watching him, what his ultimate goal is. And that is EXTREME overclocking, on LN2. So I have to imagine he wants to know how far he can safely test them without degrading and rendering useless the CPU he'd wanting to put in competition. And especially since, like the rest of us, he can't be going through $500 processors on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS