[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x Overclock not showing any performance increase in Game FPS as well as 3ds Max Render time

Feb 19, 2021
Hi.

I have assembled my desktop computer recently. Im fairly new to overclocking. I overclocked my ryzen 7 3700x from 4.05Ghz(Auto OC) to 4.4Ghz with CPU voltage of 1.35V and SOC Voltage of 1.15V.
The problem is I do get amazing Cinebench scores, but I do not see any improvement in performance in terms of 3d rendering applications like 3ds Max & Houdini. Also, I dont see any FPS improvement running games like Assassins crees Odessey, Cyber Punk, Horizon Zero Dawn.

I ran Aida64 test for 30 mins. Ran Prime95 with 1 thread for 15 mins. The temperatures hover around 80-85 C. Im suprised that with 4.4Ghz, its not showing any instability issues. Im sure I havn't done the overclock correctly.

My PC specs are-
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-Plus
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
ASUS TUF GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6GB GPU
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 Mhz 16-19-19-39
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe 500 GB
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 Cpu cooler
CORSAIR VS650

Here are my BIOS OC settings - View: https://imgur.com/gallery/dDAf6vm

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You've done nothing wrong, overclocking a Ryzen chip is just a waste of time and energy, also money if you get an after market cooler looking for that juicy 4.4Ghz, but the truth is you won't be getting any performance boost in real world tasks and the difference will only be present in benchmarks, that is it. I have the 3700x set on 4.1Ghz all cores and I haven't seen any drawback in daily tasks or gaming performance compared to 4.3Ghz all cores or stock + PBO, in fact, my chip now is running cooler and at lower voltage which in theory can expand its life span.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
You've done nothing wrong, overclocking a Ryzen chip is just a waste of time and energy, also money if you get an after market cooler looking for that juicy 4.4Ghz, but the truth is you won't be getting any performance boost in real world tasks and the difference will only be present in benchmarks, that is it. I have the 3700x set on 4.1Ghz all cores and I haven't seen any drawback in daily tasks or gaming performance compared to 4.3Ghz all cores or stock + PBO, in fact, my chip now is running cooler and at lower voltage which in theory can expand its life span.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS