[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x question

Feb 20, 2020
Hi.

I recently switched from Intel to AMD and i have a question about OC or rather downclocking.

When i got the computer it was already running at locked core speeds 40.5x multiplier so i set it to auto and with that it enabled precision boost 2.0 ( from what i understand? ).

But my question is, does setting core multiplier to 40.5x and running on all cores hurt the Ryzen chip on the long run or is it actually better to leave it set to AUTO and let Ryzen handle the core speeds and voltages.

Also by doing that i noticed Ryzen almost runs at fixed voltage rates at around 1.32 idle or even lower at higher workloads, so i don't know if that is more beneficial than precision boost which has fluctuating voltage rates but are much higher up to 1.47 at light work.

I actually hardly noticed any difference in games between precision boost and locking multiplier at lower level. The only difference are much lower temps and obviously a bit less score in Cinebench20 and CPU-Z. But like i said, lower temperatures and also a much better FAN curve makes me wonder if i should just leave it at all cores locked and not even bother with precision boost, because computer runs smooth as well.

But so far i didn't dare going back to setting core multiplier at a certain value because i don't know if there any disadvantages with manually setting core multiplier to 40x or even 39.5x on the long run.

My computer specs.

Ryzen 3700x

Asus Tuf gaming b450

Geforce 2060 Super

16GB Vengeance at 3200mhz

Solution
You won't do any damage to the chip by leaving it permanently at 40.5 multiplier.
The damage to CPU s and GPU s comes via heat which is often caused by excessive voltage so you are fine with yours.

I too have the Ryzen 3700X and find that just setting PBO to Auto and letting it boost automatically brings the best speeds, performance, voltages and temperatures during gaming etc.
These chips are extremely well optimised and don't really benefit from OC like their Intel counterparts.
Just make sure you have the latest BIOS installed as the optimisations are part of this.

Andy

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
You won't do any damage to the chip by leaving it permanently at 40.5 multiplier.
The damage to CPU s and GPU s comes via heat which is often caused by excessive voltage so you are fine with yours.

I too have the Ryzen 3700X and find that just setting PBO to Auto and letting it boost automatically brings the best speeds, performance, voltages and temperatures during gaming etc.
These chips are extremely well optimised and don't really benefit from OC like their Intel counterparts.
Just make sure you have the latest BIOS installed as the optimisations are part of this.

Andy

Solution
Feb 20, 2020

Andy

Oh ok, thank you. I just asked because the stock fan doesn't make much noise if i lower the core speeds a bit and runs much cooler overall. But didn't know if locking all cores is "ok" for the CPU because voltages also don't fluctuate that much.

Thanks again.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Yes the stock Wraith Prism cooler that I use does a good job but they are quite noisy at higher temperatures.
They have a little switch on the side too marked L/H which is for Low and High.
Once you set it to High the fan can rotate at up to 3800 RPM for increased cooling at higher temperatures but it is obviously a lot noisier too.

My CPU gaming temperatures in Red Dead Redemption 2 at 4K with an RTX 2080 ti are usually around 63c but sometimes spike up to 70c.
I have my CPU fan curve in the BIOS set to maximum at 70c so it does get noisy.
These CPU s thermal throttle at 85c to reduce heat and automatically shutdown at 100c to prevent damage if they do get too hot.

So when you set your multiplier lower and underclock it you obviously get lower temperatures but at the cost of some maximum performance.

Using PBO at Automatic my all core speeds go up to a maximum of 4250 MHZ in CPU intensive games like GTA V, Red Dead 2 etc and go down to around 3600 MHZ on some cores during gameplay as the PBO adjusts them.
As long as your temperatures are fine and under the 85c threshold the PBO adjusts the CPU speed to achieve the highest possible.
The single core speed is a maximum of 4400 MHZ on these 3700X chips but all core boost is slightly lower.

Andy

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
Yes the stock Wraith Prism cooler that I use does a good job but they are quite noisy at higher temperatures.
They have a little switch on the side too marked L/H which is for Low and High.
Once you set it to High the fan can rotate at up to 3800 RPM for increased cooling at higher temperatures but it is obviously a lot noisier too.

My CPU gaming temperatures in Red Dead Redemption 2 at 4K with an RTX 2080 ti are usually around 63c but sometimes spike up to 70c.
I have my CPU fan curve in the BIOS set to maximum at 70c so it does get noisy.
These CPU s thermal throttle at 85c to reduce heat and automatically shutdown at 100c to prevent damage if they do get too hot.

So when you set your multiplier lower and underclock it you obviously get lower temperatures but at the cost of some maximum performance.

Using PBO at Automatic my all core speeds go up to a maximum of 4250 MHZ in CPU intensive games like GTA V, Red Dead 2 etc and go down to around 3600 MHZ on some cores during gameplay as the PBO adjusts them.
As long as your temperatures are fine and under the 85c threshold the PBO adjusts the CPU speed to achieve the highest possible.
The single core speed is a maximum of 4400 MHZ on these 3700X chips but all core boost is slightly lower.

Andy

Thanks i understand now. Ryzen chips do work a bit differently from intel. Being on the "other side" for so long i had no clue about Ryzen. Was just worried that it would be a problem if locking all cores and voltages constantly being at 1.28V-1.3V would do any damage long term, because PBO at auto can lower it even further.