[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700X read as Ryzen 3 1200

Adrian_19

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
So something very strange is happening. Today i bought a refurbished Ryzen 7 3700X and a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite to upgrade my pc. I've just finished installing them and got into windows, but when i look into task manager or cpu-z it says i have a Ryzen 3 1200 with 4 cores and 4 threads. Anyone knows the cause of this?

Solution
'refurbished'---

Someone easily could have remarked the heat spreader for a $50 CPU making it appear as one from a $350 CPU, as commonly happens with Intel CPUs....; if they returned it as such to a legit retailer, it might then be accidentally sold off to an unsuspecting sod.

Hope I'm wrong here.!

You can try resetting your BIOS, and battery, but, it'd hard to imagine an X570 being confused with an actual 3700X...
'refurbished'---

Someone easily could have remarked the heat spreader for a $50 CPU making it appear as one from a $350 CPU, as commonly happens with Intel CPUs....; if they returned it as such to a legit retailer, it might then be accidentally sold off to an unsuspecting sod.

Hope I'm wrong here.!

You can try resetting your BIOS, and battery, but, it'd hard to imagine an X570 being confused with an actual 3700X...

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
So something very strange is happening. Today i bought a refurbished Ryzen 7 3700X and a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite to upgrade my pc. I've just finished installing them and got into windows, but when i look into task manager or cpu-z it says i have a Ryzen 3 1200 with 4 cores and 4 threads. Anyone knows the cause of this?
Is this a new install of windows? If not it may just be old motherboard residue.

Adrian_19

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
I tried resetting the pc but it closed at 50% saying it can't complete the reset. I don't know what's going on anymore. Does the data port matter? I put the SSD in P3, but I don't think that's the case. I will troubleshoot more tomorrow, mainly try the old CPU see what it says.