[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700X / RTX 3090

xebroz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
I'm waiting for the 4000 series Ryzens however I currently have a Ryzen 3700X while I await the 4000 series release if I purchase a RTX 3090 on release day will it bottle neck in the meantime? I'll be playing at 4k 120hz on an LG OLED TV model# OLED55BXPUA

Solution
I'm waiting for the 4000 series Ryzens however I currently have a Ryzen 3700X while I await the 4000 series release if I purchase a RTX 3090 on release day will it bottle neck in the meantime? I'll be playing at 4k 120hz on an LG OLED TV model# OLED55BXPUA
Your planning on getting two things that don't exist right now. Did you buy your 3700x knowing your going to use it for a year then buy the 4000 series? What about when the 5000 series comes out. You just going to upgrade every year? If you have enough money for a 3090 which will cost you minimum 1600 dolllars after tax and probably more close to 1700 to 1800 US dollar then you have enough money to spend 200 dollars more and get a 3950x. TLDR 🚔🍩

So which 4000 series...
Wild guess but I'd say...no it won't. Not at 4K, unless you pull details all the way back. It will be interesting to see if it will at 1440.

When do reviews start getting posted? You'll know for sure then, but until then all you'll ever get are guesses no matter how well 'reasoned' they appear to be. Unless, of course, someone's willing to risk Nvidia's ire and break their NDA....

Reactions: xebroz and RodroX

xebroz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Thank you guys for the reply, I have this Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/

I just don't use the Wi-Fi portion of the board, I had to take what I could get when the boards dropped based on availability when the 3000 series first released.

I believe I read that the NDA expires on the 16th and we will start seeing reviews. I'm just nervous they'll be posting with a 3950x or something similar on the intel side. I have a 2070 Super right now. My reasoning on getting a 3090 versus a 3080 is because I want to take advantage of the 120hz refresh on the LG OLED TV I have after watching linus video on how the new cards will have the newer HDMI standard and when I was seeing leaked benchmarks on the 3080 it was 60fps - 80 fps 4k ultra not 120 fps.

Reactions: RodroX
I believe I read that the NDA expires on the 16th and we will start seeing reviews. I'm just nervous they'll be posting with a 3950x or something similar on the intel side.
I have confidence in Steve at GamersNexus. He's always tried to present more than just the 'extreme' end of gaming and give his audience excellent insight into what you can get away with. He's also been a big proponent of a 3600 as 'all most gamers really need' so I like to think he'll want to test one out on even a 3090.

But what we don't know is how Nvidia has limited the reviewers with test protocols. If they only want to show their top-end card with top-end CPU's then yah, we'll have to wait for a reviewer to fork over the $1500 to get real-world reviews. Steve did that with a 3600 (bought his own) both because AMD didn't put them out in launch reviewer kits and because he wanted to have no limitations to how he tests them. There's a big difference between a 3600 and 3080 or 3090 cost-wise, though.

Reactions: xebroz

InvalidError

Titan
Wild guess but I'd say...no it won't. Not at 4K, unless you pull details all the way back. It will be interesting to see if it will at 1440.
"All the way back"? Being excessively dramatic there. The 2080Ti already manages 4k60 with most settings maxed out and the 3090 will be considerably more powerful than that. It'll likely deliver close to 4k120 by nudging details down from Ultra to High.

I bet the RTX3060 (maybe even the RTX3050) will be able to do 4k120 at lowest details in modern games.

I would have a look at how far my GTX1050 can go but my i5-3470 isn't fast enough to manage more than ~60fps in WoW (may need an upgrade for Shadowlands) and ~45fps in newer stuff.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Your planning on getting two things that don't exist right now. Did you buy your 3700x knowing your going to use it for a year then buy the 4000 series? What about when the 5000 series comes out. You just going to upgrade every year? If you have enough money for a 3090 which will cost you minimum 1600 dolllars after tax and probably more close to 1700 to 1800 US dollar then you have enough money to spend 200 dollars more and get a 3950x. TLDR 🚔🍩

So which 4000 series chip are you going to get? It is pretty much a PE refresh. Nothing to call home to mum about. Based on what you have now and how you decided on a 3700x then I say go with a 3080. Even the 3080 won't be very happy about the CPU especially a 3700x. The GPU gets more advanced and games get more advanced the CPU has a lot of work to do although it does a great job of it without using much resources and what not.🖐👶☮ TLDR 🤷‍♀️

There is a slim chance you can have both a 3080 video card and a 4000 series CPU in your hand by December. Because of covid-19 things will get a push backward into 2021 and stock will be limited so prices will be high. That 3700x is like a 2700x which is sorta like the son the daddys 9900k / 10900k. The performance of the 2700x alto not quite the 9900k it keeps up and hangs in there and roughs it up a bit. So the 3700x I would say would be no bottleneck to a 3080 card however a 3090 card at 4k even tho this falls on the GPU load the CPU still has to do its stuff very fast like AI and Objects and Sound and Characters and programming and all that jazz. TLDR 🤦‍♂️🍩👩‍🦲😲

I know AMD comes OCed stock from factory so you don't have head room but if you can enable D.O.C.P in BIOS I think you should go for a 3080 because the 4090Ti is around the corner and it is not worth the huge price difference from 3080 to 3090. Also if your really serious about 4k gaming then wait for the 3090Ti as non of the latter cards can do 4k 120fps locked all AA methods on all game settings on and maxed out to ultra high graphics for a 2019 or 2020 AAA titles. Sure the 3090 will give you 120fps but it will dip down as well. The 3090Ti is the true 4k gaming model. The latter ones are 2k gaming and the 3060 will be 1080p gaming imo, or at least should be tailored that way. The 3090 will cost 1800 dollars while the 3090Ti will sit you 2500 dollars. That is 700 dollars right there. The video card ends up being more expensive then your TV and what not.🤷‍♀️If you want a chance to grab a 4000 series CPU along with a 3090Ti by December then it is a nice waiting game and summer isn't even over yet. If your fast and can find sites that sell the gear by December then you can get it or worst case next year. So your talking about a future upgrade. I think the 3090 card you want will barely be available in the beginning and out of stock because of covid-19 along with the fact it will be rare so it will be priced high and what not. If I were you wait on some benchmarks to get a idea what your getting your pocket involved with as 1800 US dollar is no joke that is your TV right there. If you truley want fast 4k gaming you should wait for the 3090Ti which will have more on board VRAM and faster VRAM and it will crush @ 4k and what not. It will also crush your wallet at 2500 dollars. 😲👩‍🦲🤷‍♀️☮👶

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I have confidence in Steve at GamersNexus. He's always tried to present more than just the 'extreme' end of gaming and give his audience excellent insight into what you can get away with. He's also been a big proponent of a 3600 as 'all most gamers really need' so I like to think he'll want to test one out on even a 3090.

But what we don't know is how Nvidia has limited the reviewers with test protocols. If they only want to show their top-end card with top-end CPU's then yah, we'll have to wait for a reviewer to fork over the $1500 to get real-world reviews. Steve did that with a 3600 (bought his own) both because AMD didn't put them out in launch reviewer kits and because he wanted to have no limitations to how he tests them. There's a big difference between a 3600 and 3080 or 3090 cost-wise, though.
Ya 1500 dollars on a good day. More like 1800 dollars. Because of covid-19 there will be low stock and high prices and what not.☮🤷‍♀️👩‍🦲

Ya 1500 dollars on a good day. More like 1800 dollars. Because of covid-19 there will be low stock and high prices and what not.☮🤷‍♀️👩‍🦲

I can imagine because of Nvidia there will be low stock and high prices for 3090's in particular.

And then there will be the black-marketers who'll buy up all available stock to resell on eBay.

And then there's even speculation that e-coin miners might have a new bestie to base mining rigs on.

Let's face it, us average joes don't have a chance.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I can imagine because of Nvidia there will be low stock and high prices for 3090's in particular.

And then there will be the black-marketers who'll buy up all available stock to resell on eBay.

And then there's even speculation that e-coin miners might have a new bestie to base mining rigs on.

Let's face it, us average joes don't have a chance.
No my friend don't think that way. This isn't a famous Intel paper launch. This is actually happening. However I do remember with the 1xxx series and 2xxx series there were price spikes and some cards were rare to get. This is covid-19 now so things will be worse, however if your on it you can get it. Have a couple sites you check and just check every day from the day nVidia says its supposedly out. Look nVidia is full of it with pricing and this so called 8k gaming which is tailored to people with mansions that can afford 5000 thousand dollar 32 inch 8k Dell monitor lol. There might be another 8k monitor out as well so thats two of them. Who the heck has them. They are being gimmicky just like the 2xxx release with Ray Tracing. Who the heck has a 8k monitor to do 8k gaming. The only cards that are actually true 4k cards are 3080 3090 and 3090Ti especially. 🤷‍♀️☮👶😲

xebroz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
I honestly didn’t intend to upgrade but when nvidia did their launch event I thought why not. I’ve been saving since before I built my last build and I waited for the LG OLED tv to go on sale at NFM near me to pick it up. I’m not saying I can’t afford the $200 difference now I’m saying I want to wait and see what comes with the 4000 series and if in the meantime would my 3700x hold up. After several benchmarks looking at FPS it appears it would as the ones I watched it was within 1-3 FPS margin of the I9 10900k at 4K high presets on several games and ahead on 1-2 titles..