[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x Running at overclock Speed when I don't want it to. (I have stock cooler so I'm overheating)

KrimzonKomet

Prominent
Aug 12, 2020
My Ryzen 3700x is running at 4.3 GHz unless I set it to 99% in my power plan in the control panel. When I put it at 99%, it drops down to 3500 like it should. If I could, I'd like to run it at 3600 as advertised, it seems to be set to 3600 in the bios, but I may be missing something. Anyone have ideas?

Solution
Stock boost clock for a 3700x is 4.4Ghz (which many later samples can exceed even when stock...a benefit of optimized, mature 7nm process). 4.3Ghz is just about right for moderately heavy workloads but is only likely to sustain that clock speed if given good enough cooling.

3600 is the base clock speed. Other than when transitioning through C-states during idle periods it should only run that speed if under extreme heavy workload and/or with sub-adequate cooling and therefore running close to TJmax temperature steadily.

Only advice is don't gimp your processor if you're operating with bad information.
Stock boost clock for a 3700x is 4.4Ghz (which many later samples can exceed even when stock...a benefit of optimized, mature 7nm process). 4.3Ghz is just about right for moderately heavy workloads but is only likely to sustain that clock speed if given good enough cooling.

3600 is the base clock speed. Other than when transitioning through C-states during idle periods it should only run that speed if under extreme heavy workload and/or with sub-adequate cooling and therefore running close to TJmax temperature steadily.

Only advice is don't gimp your processor if you're operating with bad information.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution