[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x stock cooler replacement gone wrong ,thermal paste on pins, bent pins

Mar 5, 2020
So built a new system the other day, found the stock a AMD cooler too dam loud so went to replace it. First problem i knew about the hard process of removing the cooler from vids, but still happen to me, the motherboard of the ultra has puny latch to hold cpu in place. So the cpu was yanked with cooler, and in doing so thermal paste landed on some pins.
So i tried to clean it, with soft toothbrush, it seem to go ok, so i put in cpu again motherboard blank screen but power of fans was going. So took apart again, tried to clean the same area again with magfify glass toothbrush and needle. While doing so the cpu dropped on motherboard and bent some pins!! on the outer edge 5 or so.
So tried to bend them back not perfect but it seem to fit the socket.
Bam still blank screen!! So waste cpu i guess!? or did i waste the motherboard too?

Ryzen 3700x
Gigabyte aorus ultra x570

Any advice or should i tried to flog the cpu on ebay as damaged?

Last edited:
Solution
Do other 3700x motherboards come with such weak hold lever?
Any motherboard will probably be the same. Use proper technique to remove a cooler and you should have no problems though.

First thing to do is run the system a bit to get the CPU, and paste, warm then shut down and remove the screws. If you're careful about it you could loosen the screws before warming it up to make the next part go a bit faster.

When removing it, DO NOT tug on it and definitely don't jerk it off the CPU. Twist it back and forth a little bit, all that's needed is a very small amount, and it will break the seal formed by the paste and it will lift right off.

Also, at load especially the stock cooler indeed is louder than others but you can...

sc2lines

Great
Dec 13, 2019
Pull everything from motherboard.....(gently), ...and, only after powering down, ...unplug it all....ram, cpu, all cables and .....Start over....slowly reassemble..taking care on CPU,Ram, power supply, video card,.....Only Connect....one ram, one drive...(boot drive), applying just the amount of thermal paste on CPU needed for application. Once evrything is ready and you have rechecked all, ...apply power....notice everything , time takes to boot, error codes.......

Mar 5, 2020
luckly i hadnt ebayed my old system parts yet, i too a long sigh, and started unpacking and built old system boots up works fine.
The new system worked the for 3 days, but the cool looking but loud wraith prism Amd cooler, drove me mad.
Only thing is new ram, new cpu, new motherboard.

Any motherboard will probably be the same. Use proper technique to remove a cooler and you should have no problems though.

First thing to do is run the system a bit to get the CPU, and paste, warm then shut down and remove the screws. If you're careful about it you could loosen the screws before warming it up to make the next part go a bit faster.

When removing it, DO NOT tug on it and definitely don't jerk it off the CPU. Twist it back and forth a little bit, all that's needed is a very small amount, and it will break the seal formed by the paste and it will lift right off.

Also, at load especially the stock cooler indeed is louder than others but you can make it a lot better by setting a decent custom fan curve for it. I use one that's flat and just barely making any sound up to about 70C, then gradually ramp it up until it's airplane loud only around 90C.

Solution
Mar 5, 2020
stock!!! its already on AMD wraith prism cooler, sorry people miss the point. i knew that people have had removing problems with it. but still happen to me

if you have it partially removed(starting to break free) you can warm a razor or utility knife and complete the process by slicing through the sticky tab.

what thermal paste did you use?
stock!!! its already on AMD wraith prism cooler, sorry people miss the point...
most people who care about getting the best temps possible would remove the OEM paste and use something better. the point of the question was to determine if you had used a type of liquid metal that may adhere differently than regular paste.