[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi, i have the new 3700 x and wondering what the temp of CPU should be .
I have been searching the web with mixed results, there are comments from everything from "60 degrees C is to hot to they have been military tested to 125 degrees C".
On HWINFO my reading after 3 hrs of world of warcraft are , Avg 63.2....Min 44.0 and Max 85.8.
I have also downloaded ryzen master and selected AMD Ryzen balanced setting in windows 10 power options.
I have also read that people are lowering the voltage in bios ( i have never done this) .
I have also changed my cpu and case fans fan curve in bios to be alot faster than stock.

Solution
I think it is dragon centre , i just selected default for all fans , and it droped cpu temp back down to 47 from 58 min on idle.

Edit: , yep dragon center , max 51.9 and avg 48.3 while gaming , never have the avg temps been so good.

Most definitely, i also had a lot of trouble with fan curves, when bios and SIV (gigabyte app) kept fighitng each other. Best thing imo is to not use 3rd party programs, but set and save your fan curves in bios.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Which cooler do you have fitted?

If you run MSI Afterburner you can set it up to display CPU temperature, usage etc in the OSD while gaming so you see things in real time, during high/low CPU usage

My Ryzen 2700X hovers around 62 c while playing Battlefield V which is a badly optimised but intensive game.
Highest I have seen during other games is 78c occasionally but averaging 65 ish.

85c is the thermal throttling limit for both the 2000 and 3000 series.
So when the CPU hits this limit it reduces power to keep the temperature from rising too far.

Personally I would not be concerned at temps around 75c while gaming as they are fine.
If they were always 80c + then there would be a cooling problem.
I know a lot of people buy after market coolers to lower temperatures but I just use the bundled AMD Wraith cooler.

Again, the CPU will throttle at 85c to stop it getting too hot but should not be hitting this level if the cooling is working properly.

Andy

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Its the cooler that comes with it wraith prism, also hwinfo64 shows current temp.
Which while im gaming now is fluctuating between 62 and 70 c .
So from whta you say it seems fine :p Good stuff.
Also since this is fine is it worth using the ryzen master precision boost overdrive or auto OC?
Or just leave it as is ?
Thanks Mark

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I have the same cooler as you.
If you look on the top fan side of it you will see a small switch labelled 'L/H'.
This is the Low and High setting.
On high it will spin at a much faster 3700 RPM to keep your CPU cooler if it needs to when the temperature rises according to the fan curve.

These Ryzen 2000 and 3000 chips are exceptionally well optimised for auto. overclocking i.e. the hardware does a much better job than manual OC by the user.

I set PBO to Enable in my BIOS as I don't use Ryzen Master.
This means it boosts further than the default settings when it is set to Auto.
However, it does incur higher temperatures as the Auto setting uses lower voltages and boost speeds according to each motherboard's default settings.

Using Enabled bypasses these settings and consequently increases boost speed but at the expensive of heat.

The CPU will never exceed 85c as it thermal throttles after that to cool it.
I used to get around 62c on Auto PBO but a lower boost speed.
75c on Enabled but higher boost.

Finally you can use a negative voltage offset to Enable PBO but lower temperatures.
This is tried and test on a 2700X and runs a higher boost but temperatures around 62c.

If this negative voltage offset sounds a bit baffling I have a (long and boring!) post in another thread that explains safe settings in order to get performance and temperature in check I can direct you too.

Again - this is with a 2700X so yours will need further research by yourself as your CPU has a different TDP to mine.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
I did read about for the voltage to select minus in bios and try different -voltage i will try that at a later stage but would like a link to your post please.
I did turn the L/H switch up on the fan once i installed it .
And if i read this correctly your saying that auto PBO will be an improvement with lower temps ,
and enabled in bios with be a even better improvement but with higher temps.
What about auto OC?
Ryzen master says........ PBO "Allows the processor to run beyond the default infrastructure limits, up to the limits of the board, to potentially achieve higher sustained frequencies"
Where as Auto OC says "Sets a maximum boost frequency higher than the stock frequency"
So does this mean Auto PBO will boost to suit the motherboard , and auto OC will boost to the max boost ryzen master is programmed to allow?
I imagine the minus voltage and auto OC would be similar to undervolt and OC in global wattman for GPU?
Ive done some GPU OC but never CPU.

Thanks Mark

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Yes you are completely along the right lines with your understanding of it Mark.

To me it was a bit baffling initially so to summarise -

This is in the context of my Ryzen 2700X, with an Asus B450 Plus Gaming mobo.
CPU base MHZ of 3700 and boost up to 4300 MHZ (potentially).

PBO on Auto = boost limited to individual motherboard's voltage default settings including CPU max MHZ, voltage etc.

PBO on Enabled = boost bypasses motherboard's max voltage settings to get higher CPU max MHZ but 85c thermal throttling still applies.

PBO on Disabled = no boost e.g. Ryzen 2700X CPU max MHZ = 3700 which is its base speed.

Auto OC = fixed 4000 CPU MHZ but PBO is automatically disabled by the hardware so no boost beyond this is achievable.
A manual OC can push it further but PBO is very efficient - generally.
The fact that a manual negative voltage offset of - 0.100 V on both the CPU and SOC reduces my tempertaures and slightly increases the CPU's max MHZ boost means that there is an excess voltage which is not required in some cases.
Certainly for my set up and many other people's too as I discovered this through both this forum and many other posts on google regarding higher than normal temperatures.

Whilst manually OC ing Thermal throttling threshold of 85c is now ignored so it will go up to 95c potentially and then switch off the PC instantly to avoid damage.

However, I can manually OC to 4150 MHZ stabily in either the BIOS or ASUS AI Suite which is similar to Ryzen Master but not as extended in some ways.

Interestingly using the Auto OC setting the voltage is much lower - around 1.35 V as opposed to max 1.48 V with PBO on Auto or Enabled.
This is why these CPU s were discovered to run perfectly well on much lower voltages i.e. 1.48 V with - 0.100 offset = 1.38 V maximum - manually configured.

PBO has a curve including Voltage and 3 other factors linked to various power frequencies.
It is automated via Auto but Enabled opens it up further.
On my mobo I can enter manual PBO parameters if use the Manual setting but it's a career/full-time geek then and not tweaking!

Last edited:

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Awesome thanks,
Maybe i should try auto OC as it will boost the cpu but also lower voltage and temp which would save me tinkering the voltage in bios, ? or would the auto oc negate the lower temp that the lower voltage brings because of the OC mhz boost?

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
I have max of 85.6C with stock cooler while overclocked at 4.3Ghz 1.365V. With no manually OC settings, all on auto, with PBO enabled i reached 72C max with stock prism. Current ambient temps are 25 to 30C.

All this on quite underwhelming mobo x470 Aorus ultra gaming

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi , bob, so the temps dont bother you?
I just tried out the auto oc and temps went up a bit like 6 degrees,
also i just noticed in ryzen master my temp limit is 95 not 85 not sure why, and in hwinfo my core voltage is 1.396 avg with 1.487 max on idle is this high? ive read somewhere this is intended but also read its not, and as cosmic said you can lower voltage in bios which im prepared to do if need with guidance

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Hi , bob, so the temps dont bother you?
I just tried out the auto oc and temps went up a bit like 6 degrees,
also i just noticed in ryzen master my temp limit is 95 not 85 not sure why, and in hwinfo my core voltage is 1.396 avg with 1.487 max on idle is this high? ive read somewhere this is intended but also read its not, and as cosmic said you can lower voltage in bios which im prepared to do if need with guidance

Well that 85C was on stock cooler and just messing with benchmarks. A wouldnt run all core OC on this chip with this cooler at all times. Probably never, because single core boost is more beneficial to me. Temps down worry be, 71C with prime95 load as a max is just fine. But i will switch to my dark rock pro 4 soon, i was just curious about the stock cooler performace. And its totally fine for auto OC or PBO

Those 1,4+ voltages are just fine aswell, that happens during single core Auto OC. Nothing to worry about. Oh, and HWInfo isnt quite good at diplaying current frequency and voltages, use ryzen master for more accurate picture.

If you get 85+C in games, you might change thermal paste. I guess you put it in with the stock paste already on the cooler. Use a normal thermal paste, and watch the cooler during mounting. That mounting system is terrible and can mess up your paste sometimes.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Well that 85C was on stock cooler and just messing with benchmarks. A wouldnt run all core OC on this chip with this cooler at all times. Probably never, because single core boost is more beneficial to me. Temps down worry be, 71C with prime95 load as a max is just fine. But i will switch to my dark rock pro 4 soon, i was just curious about the stock cooler performace. And its totally fine for auto OC or PBO

Those 1,4+ voltages are just fine aswell, that happens during single core Auto OC. Nothing to worry about. Oh, and HWInfo isnt quite good at diplaying current frequency and voltages, use ryzen master for more accurate picture.

If you get 85+C in games, you might want to change thermal paste. I guess you put it in with the stock paste already on the cooler. Use a normal thermal paste, and watch the cooler during mounting. That mounting system is terrible and can mess up your paste sometimes. Also check you ryzen master settings, i acually got higher temps on "default" then on PBO

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Ok thanks im only 57C in game at the moment on default , i will try the auto PBO and auto OC more tomorrow , and yes it was put in with stock paste , i will look at getting new paste put on.
And thanks for the heads up about hwinfo

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Turned on PBO , havnt gone over 65C in game average on ryzen master. good stuff
Edit , what is the reason why if i go afk in game and the game idles do the temps go up? and is there a way to stop this ?
I went away for 10 mins and it was at 70C i then moved around in game for 30 secs and it went back down to 62C.
And what is a good fan curve , in bios, ive got mine set so it starts at 80% at 40C, and curves up to 100% at max temp, should i change it or use auto?

Last edited:

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Just an update , since yesterday i have set some rgb in msi dragon center , and some fan curves in there aswell.
Since then i have noticed my overall temp has gone up a fair bit,
where i was at about 65C avg im now at 66.7C which is ok , but my min temp was 44C and now 58C and max temp has gone from 70C to 79C, and im not sure why.
I went into bios and turned up cpu fans and case fans and then restarted and didnt open dragon center and i cant get them to stay under 58C even at idle.
Could this be the stock thermal paste? ive even tried to turn all fans up to max and i cant get it as low as i used to .

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Just an update , since yesterday i have set some rgb in msi dragon center , and some fan curves in there aswell.
Since then i have noticed my overall temp has gone up a fair bit,
where i was at about 65C avg im now at 66.7C which is ok , but my min temp was 44C and now 58C and max temp has gone from 70C to 79C, and im not sure why.
I went into bios and turned up cpu fans and case fans and then restarted and didnt open dragon center and i cant get them to stay under 58C even at idle.
Could this be the stock thermal paste? ive even tried to turn all fans up to max and i cant get it as low as i used to .

At this point i would start from the beggining. Remove Fan, repaste, set back. Then check temps, if they are OK, adjust fan curves so they dont spool up too fast when single core boost occurs. I think you have a mess in you BIOS and ryzen master setting, reset all of those. Dont touch bios, just turn on ryzen master and check what it is doing, and set it to PBO.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
It seems to have happened after fooling around with fan curves , i will take it in to get new paste , shops are closed at the moment.
Could it be bad cpu fan curve? i also just set my case fans to run at 75% as there are 4 of them they were all ramping up and down ans annoying me.
In regards to 'adjust fan curves so they dont spool up too fast when single core boost occurs" im not sure how to do this .
The PC ran fine all day for like 6 hrs until i started fiddling so id say im the cause

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
I think it is dragon centre , i just selected default for all fans , and it droped cpu temp back down to 47 from 58 min on idle.

Edit: , yep dragon center , max 51.9 and avg 48.3 while gaming , never have the avg temps been so good.

Last edited:

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019

Most definitely, i also had a lot of trouble with fan curves, when bios and SIV (gigabyte app) kept fighitng each other. Best thing imo is to not use 3rd party programs, but set and save your fan curves in bios.

Reactions: Claw-Hammer
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.