Question Ryzen 3700x Temperature and power plan

Aug 13, 2019
Hello i have a r7 3700x, just wondering is 45c-55c temperature at idle is normal for this CPU, it can hit up to 82c when playing Witcher 3 max settings if i used the balanced power plan, if i used the battery saver mode, its around 70-72c,

My question is this temperature normal, and which power plan should i used? because i also tried the amd balanced power plan, and the temperature really high even reach 90 and chances to make my pc reset on its own. Also, im using the stock cooler, AMD wraith prism

TY for help :)

First of all, make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version for your motherboard installed. Nothing else you do makes much difference until you do that, unless you are already on the latest version.

Second, make sure you have the MOST recent AMD chipset drivers installed, which are based on your motherboard model. Which is?

Third, this:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/coyjgk/what_power_plan_do_you_use_for_ryzen_3000/

You want to use the Ryzen balanced power plan, not the Windows balanced power plan, but you NEED to have the latest BIOS version and the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard installed or the plan won't even be available to you in the options in the power settings.

Are you getting that chipset driver from the motherboard manufacturer or AMD? Because the AMD chipset driver, which is the one I'd recommend over the manufacturer drivers, does not have that release number.

It is 1.8.19.0915

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Package Includes:
AMD Chipset Drivers
AMD Ryzen™ Power Plans (required for UEFI CPPC2 in Windows® 10 May 2019 Update)
Contains desktop idle optimizations for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
Resolves Destiny 2 game launch on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors

Aug 13, 2019
Are you getting that chipset driver from the motherboard manufacturer or AMD? Because the AMD chipset driver, which is the one I'd recommend over the manufacturer drivers, does not have that release number.

It is 1.8.19.0915

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Package Includes:
AMD Chipset Drivers
AMD Ryzen™ Power Plans (required for UEFI CPPC2 in Windows® 10 May 2019 Update)
Contains desktop idle optimizations for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
Resolves Destiny 2 game launch on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
I got this driver from msi, should i try the one from AMD ?, my friend have the same processor with the same stock cooler, but his temp is lower than me when gaming, knowing him he will not update anything, but i will try the one from AMD, ty so much 😊

For other motherboard drivers, such as the ethernet and audio drivers, I would use the ones from the motherboard product page on the MSI website. For the chipset drivers, I always recommend getting them directly from AMD or Intel, depending on what kind of system you have. In your case, yes, I'd try the AMD drivers. Anything you get from MSI is modified from what AMD is offering and in some cases it's not a desirable modification.