[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x temperature too high?

DeadZeus

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
My setup is:

AMD Ryzen 3700x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler
Asus Strix 1080TI (1950 core clock and 5900 memory clock)
16gb ram @ 2933
Asrock B550 phantom gaming pro 4.
Antec P101 silent

While gaming i reach temps of about 80 and in idle about 45. I feel like this is way too high...

Considering the cooler i have mounted on it and according to other results i can find on the internet this temp seems kinda high...

What could be wrong? Also i have about 15 less average FPS than my previous setup which had the same card but a 7700k.
Probably not related but a very big annoyance for me...

Solution
I disabled PBO but temps are pretty much the same.

Getting in 80s with peak to 90s is too scary.. 95 is the max it causes my PC to shut down (this has happened already!) If it's a hot day my CPU would fry!

Considering the beefy cooler i have on it this cannot be normal. Imagine if i was using the stock cooler... It would have been fried already.

I honestly cannot imagine my 100 dollar case making my CPU unusable :S

Guess i'll try remounting it with fresh thermal paste...

Well initially you said 80c which is not uncommon in summer time...if you're hitting 95 then yeah something is up.

Possible you left the plastic film on the base of the cooler when installing ?

As far as the case...the issue is the 3 front fans are...
The temps are fine...if you want to improve them I would move from the Antec P101 silent to a case with better airflow. It's likely the Dark Rock Pro 4 is pulling hot air off the GPU so a better case will help with that.

The 3700x is a pretty efficient cpu and provides really solid performance...but to get the best from Ryzen you need to keep it cool as possible so it can make good use its Precision Boost features. One thing to do is to turn off PBO if you're using it as it produces heat without much if any gain on the 3000 series chips...it was only really useful on the 2000 series chips to maximize performance.

Reactions: Phaaze88

DeadZeus

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
The temps are fine...if you want to improve them I would move from the Antec P101 silent to a case with better airflow. It's likely the Dark Rock Pro 4 is pulling hot air off the GPU so a better case will help with that.

The 3700x is a pretty efficient cpu and provides really solid performance...but to get the best from Ryzen you need to keep it cool as possible so it can make good use its Precision Boost features. One thing to do is to turn off PBO if you're using it as it produces heat without much if any gain on the 3000 series chips...it was only really useful on the 2000 series chips to maximize performance.

Getting in 80s with peak to 90s is too scary.. 95 is the max it causes my PC to shut down (this has happened already!) If it's a hot day my CPU would fry!

Considering the beefy cooler i have on it this cannot be normal. Imagine if i was using the stock cooler... It would have been fried already.

My setup is:

AMD Ryzen 3700x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler
Asus Strix 1080TI (1950 core clock and 5900 memory clock)
16gb ram @ 2933
Asrock B550 phantom gaming pro 4.
Antec P101 silent

While gaming i reach temps of about 80 and in idle about 45. I feel like this is way too high...

Considering the cooler i have mounted on it and according to other results i can find on the internet this temp seems kinda high...

What could be wrong? Also i have about 15 less average FPS than my previous setup which had the same card but a 7700k.
Probably not related but a very big annoyance for me...
80c is too high and shouldn't happen with that cooler, maybe something is not mounted properly ? Frequency and performance will drop as it's far from ideal 62-65c.

Well initially you said 80c which is not uncommon in summer time...if you're hitting 95 then yeah something is up.

As far as the case...the issue is the 3 front fans are blocked from delivering direct airflow by the hard drive cage that fills the entire front of the case. It's really not an optimal cooling design at all...especially when compared to cases like the Corsair Crystal series which provide 3 unobstructed fans at the front for proper airflow over the cpu and vrm area of the motherboard.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and M3rKn
Solution

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019

As far as the case...the issue is the 3 front fans are blocked from delivering direct airflow by the hard drive cage that fills the entire front of the case. It's really not an optimal cooling design at all...especially when compared to cases like the Corsair Crystal series which provide 3 unobstructed fans at the front for proper airflow over the cpu and vrm area of the motherboard.
... and the combination of the 1080ti pumping heat into the chassis everything is getting heat soaked.

Did you test with the side panel off to see if there is an improvement in temps? If the temps drop significantly then you have an air flow issue.