[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x Temperatures & Monitoring

Apr 15, 2020
Two parts to my troubles:

1. Have a custom loop cooling a Ryzen 3700x and a 2080 Ti.

I have two 360 rads with three fans on each. During gaming, my CPU gets up to between 65c and 70c while the water temperature stays between 28c - 30c. If I run a stress test, the CPU jumps into the 80c - 85c range.

My GPU is always ~10-15c cooler than my CPU in the loop when gaming or running stress tests.

I've re-seated the CPU and water-block (EK Velocity RGB) a few times with the same results, trying different methods of spreading paste.

Could my CPU block not be sitting flush with my CPU? It seems like with water temps around 28c-30c my CPU should not be getting so hot. I know my GPU will be cooler, but the huge disparity tells me something must not be right with the way the CPU block is cooling the CPU.

2. My other question, is why on earth do I get such wildly different temperatures between Ryzen Master, AIDA64, EZXT CAM, HWINFO for my CPU temps? Each one seems to constantly be anywhere from 5-10 degrees off from one another. I have no idea which one to trust. I guess it should be Ryzen Master since it's.... made for Ryzen?

Solution
UI have Cooler Master Nepton 140XL AiO and under PBO temps never reach 70c and when OCed to 4.3GHz it never goes over 75c so there must be something terribly wrong with your either cooling or BIOS setup.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
1. I got a 3700x in a custom loop with an ek velocity block too. If I am only stresstesting my cpu I get a pretty similar behavior. My watertemps rarely exceed 35c with fans on 30% while the cpu itself is at arround 77 c. If I am loading up cpu and gpu to the max and my fans run full bore the gpu is transferring heat much more efficiently staying arround 20c cooler than the 3700x.

Why is that? I think it is due to the chiplet design concentrating the cores up in a corner of the cpu tightly packed. People like Igor from IgorsLab and german overclocker Der8auer found switching the intake of the cpu block to the side of the chiplet and even moving the entire waterblock on the die to lower temps significantly by up to 10 degrees. All off-the-shelf waterblocks at the moment are cooling the middle of the ihs most effectively while the hotspot of Ryzen 3000 is off-centre.

You could try to remount the block with the intake port on the "bottom" part of the cpu where the chiplet is located. Might lower your temps a couple degree. Lets wait if they design some Ryzen-blocks in the future.

2. Yes depending on the software temp readings and other sensors are inaccurate due to Ryzens boost behaviour. Use HwMonitor or Ryzen Master.

Cheers

Apr 15, 2020
1. I got a 3700x in a custom loop with an ek velocity block too. If I am only stresstesting my cpu I get a pretty similar behavior. My watertemps rarely exceed 35c with fans on 30% while the cpu itself is at arround 77 c. If I am loading up cpu and gpu to the max and my fans run full bore the gpu is transferring heat much more efficiently staying arround 20c cooler than the 3700x.

Why is that? I think it is due to the chiplet design concentrating the cores up in a corner of the cpu tightly packed. People like Igor from IgorsLab and german overclocker Der8auer found switching the intake of the cpu block to the side of the chiplet and even moving the entire waterblock on the die to lower temps significantly by up to 10 degrees. All off-the-shelf waterblocks at the moment are cooling the middle of the ihs most effectively while the hotspot of Ryzen 3000 is off-centre.

You could try to remount the block with the intake port on the "bottom" part of the cpu where the chiplet is located. Might lower your temps a couple degree. Lets wait if they design some Ryzen-blocks in the future.

2. Yes depending on the software temp readings and other sensors are inaccurate due to Ryzens boost behaviour. Use HwMonitor or Ryzen Master.

Cheers

Thank you for the information. That does seem to make sense then, the inlet on my EK CPU Block is dead center on the block.

Would something like the Optimus Foundation be better, where the inlet is actually on the bottom half of the CPU block?

optimus-foundation-amd-cpu-blocks-nickel-1_2000x.jpg

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Thank you for the information. That does seem to make sense then, the inlet on my EK CPU Block is dead center on the block.

Would something like the Optimus Foundation be better, where the inlet is actually on the bottom half of the CPU block?

optimus-foundation-amd-cpu-blocks-nickel-1_2000x.jpg
It might be, but those blocks are expensive and I personally would not spent my money on a "maybe".
Does somebody know of actual testing on those blocks?

Apr 15, 2020
It might be, but those blocks are expensive and I personally would not spent my money on a "maybe".
Does somebody know of actual testing on those blocks?

Good point - there aren't really a ton of reviews other than user reports. Last night my CPU went into the 90c range when doing a stress test, so something must be off. Downside of having the custom water loops is isn't not easy to just swap in a new cooler to test it out. I'll figure something out but I feel like I have to at least test another CPU block to see if it makes a difference. Temp just seems way too high.

Apr 15, 2020
UI have Cooler Master Nepton 140XL AiO and under PBO temps never reach 70c and when OCed to 4.3GHz it never goes over 75c so there must be something terribly wrong with your either cooling or BIOS setup.

That's what I'm thinking... I turned PBO off as well and still crazy high temps under stress load. I mean it's a little better under just regular gaming but still crazy high in my opinion. I just updated chipset and BIOS to latest too so I'm leaning towards an issue with the CPU cooling setup. GPU and other temps seem normal. Unless something is out of whack and it's just not reporting the CPU temp right.

That's what I'm thinking... I turned PBO off as well and still crazy high temps under stress load. I mean it's a little better under just regular gaming but still crazy high in my opinion. I just updated chipset and BIOS to latest too so I'm leaning towards an issue with the CPU cooling setup. GPU and other temps seem normal. Unless something is out of whack and it's just not reporting the CPU temp right.
According to HWinfo , my voltage never goes over 1.325v under load and that may be one of reasons although package goes above 138W. If yours hits 1.45-1.5v under load no fancy cooler is gonna keep it under 85-90c.

Apr 15, 2020
According to HWinfo , my voltage never goes over 1.325v under load and that may be one of reasons although package goes above 138W. If yours hits 1.45-1.5v under load no fancy cooler is gonna keep it under 85-90c.

Not sure why but it seems like it's using more voltage when idle than under load... Unless I'm reading this in the completely wrong place in HWInfo.

Here's the voltage under idle:
cVyYEek.png

Here's the voltage under stress test load:
ReuyICP.png

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I would try to remount the existing cooler and take a look at the spread of the thermal paste. Maybe its just badly mounted or the paste is just in the centre and the important parts are making bad contact.
Your temps are also much worse than mine and my cpu is pumping 110w not 88. And thats while my watertemps are much higher due to only 2x240 slim rads in my small NCase.