[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x Underperforming in Timepsy

Feb 13, 2021
Hello,

I've got a new rig. Ryzen 3700x, RTX 3070 (ASUS dual), 16 gb Ballistix RAM (3000 mhz; XMP is on), Gigabyte B450 mobo. I run timespy and GPU is running great. My CPU score though is generally around 9400 which is well below where it ought to be (~9900). Power setting is ryzen balanced, boost is on in bios, chipset drivers are up to date, etc. Can't for the life of me figure it out. Driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
I know TimeSpy has a CPU test but never really paid attention to it.

I also know 3dMark is under almost constant revision making it hard to directly compare scores from time to time. When I just ran it, and after updating it again, my 5700XT/3700X combo suddenly jumped to a combined score of 9237. I've changed nothing from several weeks ago when it would score no better than 9055.

What score is it returning in Cinebench 20?

I also know 3dMark is under almost constant revision making it hard to directly compare scores from time to time. When I just ran it, and after updating it again, my 5700XT/3700X combo suddenly jumped to a combined score of 9237. I've changed nothing from several weeks ago when it would score no better than 9055.

Solution
Feb 13, 2021

So I have Cinebench R23. MC is 11680 and SC is 1306 on that. Seems like MC score is lower than expected but SC is in line with expectations? Thanks.

Ah, while I updated my chipset, my BIOS was way out of date. Bios update fixed it. In Cinebench R23, MC is 12,608, SC 1295 now. Phew.
A BIOS update making that difference in multi-thread scores suggests you weren't fully utilizing CPPC or other advance Zen2 features. Also make sure your Windows is up-to-date as it's scheduler takes full advantage of CPPC to enhance performance. Also set up BIOS properly: Advanced C-States, AMD Cool-n-Quiet, Proc CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores settings should all be ENABLED. Many BIOS' interpret AUTO or DEFAULT as DISABLED.

And if you want to use PBO be sure you have better cooling to get the most out of it as it makes the processor a lot hotter. But when it gets hot it pulls back on clocks in heavy processing making people think it's doing nothing for them except making it hotter.

Last edited: